ANOVOS belt replacing...

Hey, can I see a picture of those Chicago screws? I'm hopefully heading to a leather shop after work today, to pick some up. I was sort of hoping to re-use the unneeded Chicago screws from the holster, but they're way too deep to work for this.

The holster screws are the ones I'm using. I ground the backs flat and cut off a bit of the length. With the ABS anchor that is holding them to the rear of the belt plate and the ABS inside of my belt itself they didn't need to be trimmed down too much*

*I hope I'm not cursing myself here, as I haven't done the final fitting, but having sized everything up I think I took about ~2mm off both the male and female sides of the screws. They are aluminum, so they're not too hard to cut/grind down.

• Like 1

The holster screws are the ones I'm using. I ground the backs flat and cut off a bit of the length. With the ABS anchor that is holding them to the rear of the belt plate and the ABS inside of my belt itself they didn't need to be trimmed down too much*

*I hope I'm not cursing myself here, as I haven't done the final fitting, but having sized everything up I think I took about ~2mm off both the male and female sides of the screws. They are aluminum, so they're not too hard to cut/grind down.

Fingers crossed... report back as to how it comes out!

On 2/27/2016 at 5:01 AM, kman said:

Hey, can I see a picture of those Chicago screws? I'm hopefully heading to a leather shop after work today, to pick some up. I was sort of hoping to re-use the unneeded Chicago screws from the holster, but they're way too deep to work for this.

In the end I had to ABS paste them in place, but here they are-

The square of ABS with the shaved down Chicago screw (ignore the twisted placement this was before clamping and clean up AND before I redid them with ABS paste as glue)

-----------

And after, remounted using the extra washers from the holster as well

---------------

The E6000 just didn't have enough holding power and CA glue cracked away as the plate flexed. ABS paste FTW!

:smiley-sw013:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020
  • Like 1

Nice!  I picked up some regular sized Chicago screws, but they're SS, not aluminum.

Now I'm thinking I'll use those nice new ones on the holster, where the extra length is no problem, and I'll use the 4 aluminum (I think you said?) from the holster so they're easier to cut down, and use them on the belt. :)

Nice!  I picked up some regular sized Chicago screws, but they're SS, not aluminum.

Now I'm thinking I'll use those nice new ones on the holster, where the extra length is no problem, and I'll use the 4 aluminum (I think you said?) from the holster so they're easier to cut down, and use them on the belt. :)

Yeah, you'd have a hellish time grinding down stainless ones. The aluminum ones you can do in about 30 seconds with a dremel and a grinding stone.

:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

when I changed mine over this week, there was almost no glue keeping the caps on, one flick of the exacto knife and they popped right off. 

the rivets now, they were another thing,  had to get out the Dremel and put the cutting blade on and they did come off eventually.

then just matched up the holes and popped everything back together.