Hydration Systems?

One of the topics covered in the current 501st podcast was the danger of heat while trooping. They mentioned the importance of staying hydrated while in armor and said some people have used camelbacks while trooping. Has anybody used a hydration system and if so, which did you use and what was your experience?

Havent used one for trooping but my Camelback served me well in Iraq ESPECIALLY when it got to 137 degrees in August. I cant see where there would be any problem and certainly hydration is a must. Teh nice think about teh back of TK armor is you have that little indentation where the back detail is and thats a great spot for a camelback...

I have a Joggers camel back, Small and I use it in Vader. I have had thoughts of modding my Scout tank to hold water.

The TK wouldnt be all that hard, just tape it under your back plate, and route the hose neatly under your neckseal.

I bought a Camelpack to try this in my TK armor. Removing and installing the bladder in the back plate would be easy enough, but the problem was running the hose in the helmet. The way they work, it's almost impossible to do. The only practical way would be to have the hose slung over your shoulder, remove your helmet to take a drink.

But historically, whenever we troop, the only time we remove our helmets is away from public view like in the back room, etc. where we generally already have water waiting.

Don't forget that water will eventually come out the other end and unless you've modded your armor, getting out of it in time to relieve yourself can be a challenge. You have to balance the input with the output, so to speak.

I think a better way to go, if possible, is to take frequent breaks and have an idea of your tolerance level. For instance, unless you were born and raised in the Florida Everglades, I would not recommend the parade at Disney World's Star Wars Weekends as a first troop. :(