3D printing armor - thoughts?

Hey all! I've been looking into armor makers for a TFA stormtrooper kit, and recieved an offer from a guy to 3D print armor specific to my measurements. I have requested further information (and will update here once I get it!), but I'm curious as to what you guys think of 3D printed plastics as armor. My guess is that it would be lighter than fiberglass, and would withstand normal/gentle use?

I think you would find ABS would be lighter and stronger. To get strength with 3D printed pieces it needs to be thick, the plastic can break quite easily. You would also have a lot of work to clean up the print, even with a fine print there would be lines left which would need to be sanded and filled. There is also the cost and time, 3D printing a blaster alone would be 125-150 hours roughly, I can't imagine how long a completed armor would take.

My bet is a long time. The maker gave a rough quote of $1100 for the kit, $1500 ready to wear (probably just sanded and whatnot), which seems to be close to what other makers are charging for armor-only kits. (This is armor only). I'm assuming the lowish price is because they're already making the 3d models, and just resizing for me.

That's good to know that it's more brittle than ABS. So far I've only been able to find this and a (flexible?) fiberglass maker... and a single plastic maker with kits that will START at  $1400+. It's a rough hunt for TFA armor right now haha

Yeah Jims is the flexible fiberglass and is $800 I believe. He's updating his armor to be even more accurate (though he is already 501st with that kit). I would message him after January 3rd, I think he's away till then. Definitely worth looking into as it's a little over half the cost of the next cheapest kit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk