Rustoleum? Paint help.

Hey guys,

About to paint my RS helmet - been looking for the right white paint, found some previous members using the rustoleum stuff to good effect. I can only get the standard (not professional, non silver-canned) rustoleum stuff -----------

Has anybody used this before? Is it suitable to use on ABS without primer? (the primer doesn't seem to be available in Japan)

I'm trying to avoid Japanese brand paints, as it will involve a lot of trial and error trying various brands. I also can't read in this country, so have no idea what the cans say. I figured some of you guys would have used this rustoleum stuff.

Cheers

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've used Rustoleum, with mixed results. Rustoleum tends to be problematic in its application, and the consistency can vary from can to can. You really have to follow the directions to a tee in order to get good results.

Krylon is more forgiving, and you'll likely get better results using Krylon.

Regardless, you *always* want to use primer on plastic before painting, or at least get a product that has both primer and paint in the same mixture.

From personal experience, I can say that weather conditions can matter the most. Humidity must be sufficiently low or the propellant won't evaporate quickly enough between coats and the paint will stay sticky. This creates the "difference from can to can" effect. I love Rustoleum paints, but I know when to use them. This time of year can be exceptionally difficult, so I watch humidity like a hawk.

I never spray above 50% humidity and I try to shoot for 30% if I can. If you have to go higher, use much lighter coats and more drying time between them. Ideally, at 30% humidity or lower, you can go as little as 10 minutes between coats. In higher humidity, you may have to go as much as an hour, depending on temperature. More than an hour and you will need to wait 24-48 hours between light coats.

Bill

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

I've had a look for Krylon online, doesn't seem to have a presence here. Quite frustratingly, all sorts of niche rustoleum products are available... apart from damn primer!. Does rustoleum enamel gloss play nice with other primers or do you think it will just screw it up? I'm gonna have to buy some tuppaware and have a practice paint session  :laugh1:

Good point about humidity, it is pretty hard to find a non humid day here.

Are there any other paint alternatives that produce the right shade and gloss? It is a RAL 9010 shade of white we're after for the helmet isn't it?

I'm not too hung up on brands. As you say, some tupperware and trial and error is probably worth doing. Do you have a dollar store nearby? Many of the Rustoleums say they are paint plus primer, but I've never tried this with gloss. In my experience, any flat that says it's good for plastics will also serve as your primer.

I also would not overthink the particular shade of white. Gloss is generally brighter than flat, and most will probably be fine.

In Japan you should have an easy time finding "Tamiya" brand paint. It's used for model painting and is of very high quality.

I will second that. I build scale models and Tamiya is the only paint that I will run through my airbrush for both primer and base coats. And the rattle cans have excellent nozzles and produce very good results, too. I can't vouch for the durability, though. When it comes to the models, they're finished, displayed and not touched!