How to set/flatten split rivets?

Hey there, 

I use a wide chisel or a phillips screwdriver. As soon as the legs are open enough, I hammer them flat. (no dirty thinking here ;) )

You saucy devil....

• Like 2

I use a flat head screw driver to pry them slightly open, then use the round of the screwdriver and hit that down between the posts, spreads them more, then flatten the rest with the hammer.

I use (like everyone else)a large flat head screwdriver to get them split. After that, if I can reach them with a pair of pliers, I use those to flatten them after placing a folded towel over the head of the rivet to protect it from the pliers. If I cannot reach them with pliers (like the second half of them on the kidney/abdomen) I use a hammer to flatten them.

A word of caution, If using a screwdriver to get the legs apart enough to hammer them flat, make SURE you use a lot of downward pressure against a hard surface while bending sideways. This will keep the pressure ON the split rivet and not the plastic. Remember, any hole drilled in the plastic creates a weak spot. Any hard twisting trying to bend that rivet leg and you could crack it.

• Like 2