best part of trooping

RCjohn1

For me it's the interaction with the kids (and kids-at-heart) & the knowledge that we as an organization are doing what we can to support many worthwhile charities, funds, events, etc. through our general love of Star Wars.

This goes beyond the enjoyment of trooping for trooping's sake. For instance while I was participating in a local walk for Autism awareness I picked up a "shadow" of sorts. He was about eight or nine and had been living with Autism for a good portion of those years. For almost the entire mile he walked, ran, and otherwise excitedly dashed about me. His parents said that he loved Star Wars and that stormtroopers were his favorite characters. That little bit made the entire event worth it to me, knowing that I was able to provide that kind of enjoyment to a young boy just by putting on a costume.

I was 4 or 5 when ESB came out. My local mall got the promo Vader and the 3 Stormtroopers from LFL.

I remember that day very well.

I see kids (and adults) light up when a stormtrooper walks in the room, and I remember the feeling. I can do the things that the LFL promo wouldnt... Talk to kids, let them see parts of my costume, and take time with them. I have never been to a scripted troop, but I am sure there all close to the same. I have only had one bad episode in armor, and that was a teenager... (mostly showing off...) The only kid I have ever had to put in his place.

Now that I troop and do it for causes, orginizing and planning events, is a way to give back. Just giving back makes it worth it. Its a good feeling to help others. It also spreads, not only with the 501st, but in my daily life.

My son is autistic, and that is the main cause I support. Schooling and awareness are the keys to beating this back I believe.

Terry, understanding autistic kids, I am sure that boy will remember you for a long long time. You made his day. A real stormtrooper from the movie. He was in total awe I am sure.

The community is another aspect I love, and finding like minded people who do thing together is something you cant put value on. Its a great feeling.

I agree with the 2 men above. Back in the 90's I had a full latex Batman costume from the 3rd movie. Going to the hospital in that was the greatest joy. These are the events you never forget...and more importantly, neither do the kids. I stayed in contact with a couple of the kids via cards for years. One of the boys lost his battle with cancer, but the other one was doing well the last I heard. This is what it's all about. The amazing thing is, your giving back, but it's not like paying taxes or giving charities money. You giving something freely while enjoy doing it, so it doesn't seem like it cost you a thing.