Comfys ATA ANH Stunt - First Build!

Hello, I'm Comfy/Shortest Stormy. and this is my first TK/costume of any kind build. there will be blood and tears. so please help me minimize it! :tkbig:

So i'll come out and say i have some hard core ADD, probably other things too but i'm to cheap to go to a doctor, i'll try to go slow with this build as i cant really afford another anytime soon.

and of course a bigger challenge on top of that is only 5'4 tall, so i'm already seeing pieces that will need trimming down, once i figure how to do that properly, and my helmet feels like a bobble head but what can i do eh?

Edited by Comfy Turtle
  • Like 1

on to where i've started, i've taken the chest piece, straps and back and started to cut off the excess plastic.

20151013_1532321_zpsp29dbzbb.jpg

20151013_1534001_zpsr38ur8ri.jpg

i'm worried as to how far to go as i've seen some armors have the curves and some more flat.

and i was hoping to just wake up shave these down and glue the pieces together but i'm unsure and i've never messed with snaps or where to start.

Just read lots of other builds, especially the Stickied ones. Read the tutorials and How-tos. It may seem daunting at first, but once you get a few pieces glued together, you'll feel a lot more comfortable. The hardest part is waiting on the armor. Seems like you got that out of the way already. 

So while i'm waiting on snaps and velcro/elastic all i can really do at the moment is trim access plastic and do some test fits.

I figure i try and deal with the elephant in the room.

due to my height the chest and stomach/codpeice dont have enough room it can go a little lower then the pic shows but i didnt have anything to hold it, while i imagine if i go to low it will bump the thigh pieces.

should i try and trim the chest, stomach or both? the issue is i've never done anything of this grade of trimming and i don't really have any help on it besides you guys. 

possibly cut the cod part off and slide it up?

Edited by Comfy Turtle

After going through AsBlondeasLukes thread for the 5th time since i've bought the armor a year ago, i decided to copy her idea of shortening the chest plate, i'll miss that return edge but sacrifices have to be made, i think it looks alot more natural now.

I also removed the return edge on the top of the stomach plate, i'm fat enough i dont need it pushing out further.

test%20fit2_zps4u2gpoar.jpg

i'm starting to work on the forearms now, is there really any guide for those? all i've done so far is just shave off alot of excess plastic, i'm scared to go to far and aligning them is harder then i thought never noticed the sides went to far

20151020_1246081_zpskfhz6xqq.jpg

i hope this isnt starting to look like spam, while unlikely, i'd love to finish my armor in time for TFA, finally got tickets for the 17th!

Hey Comfy, Have a look at the CRL's for basic guidance and then jump over and have a good look at an approved Centurion post. There's lots of great pictures and details to be found.

As for your forearms. No return edges on them. They might fit better toegther once they're trimmed. Looking good! :duim:

So after a very busy work week i finally had a day to work on some pieces. i trimmed the forarms and biceps. and i think i'll need a second option on the sizes in person but for now they seem ok, i've only masking taped them so far as i want to make sure before i place the cover strips

tk1_zpsffadg7e7.jpg

tk2_zpsulvwqgw0.jpg

and again its probably to early for these kinds of test fitting but i cant resist myself. so far its more restricting then expected but i think more trimming might be needed, i'm hoping to go to the hobby store tommorow to get some elastic and webbing. i know due to my trimming of the chest i cant do the bracket stratagy, i also think i'll have to shave some off the back kidney.

tk3_zpsacfifwly.jpg

Any good alternative method to making cover strips? i was preparing to make some but i heard its best to do them with a table saw and i dont have one, the sheet abs i was given is to thick to just store and snap. i can try to cut with lexan scissors but i expect it would come out an uneven mess

I've begun making strips with the box cutter and snap, though its tougher it sounded to me and started with the forearms, hows this?

20151101_1631401_zps2cdiijyp.jpg

believe it or not i am hoping to atleast get close to centurion even though my thread has been very unprofessional so far, i'm sorry for that.

Looking good Adam don't forget to chamfer the cover strip corners.

It's a good thing a professional build thread doesn't qualify you for L2 or L3 or most of us would still be basic. lol

Keep up the good work  :duim:

:popcorn:

yeah i plan to sand them down once they are on, just wanted to get them out of the way, forgive my work area i dont really have room or space for this project but i'm trying to make due.

Not a whole lot of progress, finally get a day off and had some serious stomach pain, but afterward i made some strips and did both biceps and tried a shin

20151105_1823561_zpsvykoqfwj.jpg

Also i should have asked earlier but do people do people use cover strips on both the outside and inside where they meet or just outside? i'd like the added durablity but worried i dont have enough spare plastic for strips

Edited by Comfy Turtle

You could always order some extra sheets from trooperbay or ask your kit maker if he will sell you more. I would try to stick with your kit's maker for cover strips since it'll match the plastic. Trooperbay if you need more for inner strips for strength. 

Also i should have asked earlier but do people do people use cover strips on both the outside and inside where they meet or just outside? i'd like the added durablity but worried i dont have enough spare plastic for strips

For the record, with adequate glue you do NOT need inner cover strips, the armor will be strong enough as is. That being said, I use inner cover strips for cosmetic reasons ( I don't like seams), not strength. If you choose to go with inside strips just contact Terrell at ATA and ask him for a extra cover strip sheet (12" x 24" I believe), should be around $25 shipped.

I do have a question while on the subject of cover strips. What width are you using on your front shins? They should be around 20mm and yours look a bit wide. It could be a bad picture angle but wanted to check. Keep up the great work  :duim:

some progress today, still getting over a depression but forcing myself to get done since i know i want to be ready for the movie or even a event

20151109_1713451_zpsw1ixqus4.jpg

For the record, with adequate glue you do NOT need inner cover strips, the armor will be strong enough as is. That being said, I use inner cover strips for cosmetic reasons ( I don't like seams), not strength. If you choose to go with inside strips just contact Terrell at ATA and ask him for a extra cover strip sheet (12" x 24" I believe), should be around $25 shipped.

I do have a question while on the subject of cover strips. What width are you using on your front shins? They should be around 20mm and yours look a bit wide. It could be a bad picture angle but wanted to check. Keep up the great work  :duim:

yeah i think they are i messured right but i guess it slide when i started scoring and came out bigger then expected

20151109_1713011_zpsnv49cujb.jpg

finally time for the weekend, here is almost the last of the cover strips, only one left is the back side of the thigh thats being glued on the front side now. kinda scared where to go from here, elastics? torso? i should probly do the knee ammo pack and sniper plate first

20151114_1434251_zpsbg86rfzv.jpg

Ok so i'd like to say i've made some progress today although not pretty, i've glue'd the sniper plate on to the shin and attached the ammo pack to the thigh

20151118_1704441_zpsvuws0p3h.jpg

Although my problem begins with the ammo pack, this was my first time using rivets and the were different then i expected, the inner side went fine, but of course the outter side refused to stay in, after trying three rivets and failed, i'm hoping i can simply E6000 it into place

20151118_1705041_zps9zh5nykq.jpg

aside from those two i've started some basic snaps for my chest and back, i've been reading tony barnett (TK300)'s site and i'm trying to follow his example atleast on the chest/back/shoulder areas

Front

20151118_1702161_zpszladcyvf.jpg

Back

20151118_1702051_zpspyqbbzum.jpg

I have a bit of extra free time now that my job has lightened up so i'm hoping to get this finished in time for Yamacon on the 4th. sounds crazy but i'm ready to see this to the end. only thing i dont have is the pipe for the Thermal Det, i've been told i can go to Lowes and they can cut the pipe for me, though i dont know for sure. i ordered gloves and rubber hand plates from Sonnenschein but need to confirm if she sent them. paid for clips from Evilboy, Belt from TKittell and got my Neckseal and Holster from Darman. i hope thats everything. my wallet wasn't  ready

Shock and Horror today as i started on some more snaps but some harsh realizations hit me after trying on most of the completed pictures

I orginally made a black strap for the top but i forgot it needs to be white for Centurion, which is fine since i think i can still use them for side kindey to back

20151119_1624421_zpszwpyobap.jpg

The issue is even so i think with my frame the abs straps will overlap really hard or i can make the new elastic longer but i dont want the back to want to low

I added Velcro to the back of the shins and the left leg went perfectly however the right leg wont seem to get locked down right

20151119_1643251_zpstfw2gveq.jpg

Any idea for this? more velcro or place it sideways?

After testing walking around with the shins everything was fine, a little high to have a complete bend but ok, i tried them with the thighs and some other pieces that were done, i definitely need to trim these and probably the shins a little aswell. i wish i had better pictures my but friend only took two before he started taking pictures of my dog instead

20151119_1706011_zpsf21uh23r.jpg

20151119_1708221_zpsu19wcwpz.jpg

i'm thinking of taking atleast 1 inch from the tops of the Thighs and bottom of the Shins. i had to waddle up the stairs just to get those pictures.

Any advice is welcome, i'll try cutting them tommorow. for now i'll work on cutting more abs bits for snaps and try painting the kidney boxes.

Alright let's take a look here. There's some things you'll need to fix before applying for EIB, some will be required for Centurion but if you do them all now then you won't have to deal with it later.

NOTE: In my AM 1.0 tutorial I illustrate how to do all this if you're interested. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-ata-bucket-build/

1. First off your right thigh cover strip it needs to extend to the top of the thigh. We'll require it for Centurion

Yours

Adam%201.jpg

Correct

Thigh%20Front.jpg

2. Your ammo pack need to be centered with the cover strip. We'll require it for Centurion

Yours

Adam%202.jpg

Correct 

Thigh%20Front.jpg

3. Your ammo pack needs to be attached with a solid head rivet, a requirement for EIB and Centurion

From the CRL:

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thigh ammo belt is attached to thigh with a solid head rivet or fastener in the upper corner and fastened to the lower thigh ridge.
    • The solid head rivet attachment is painted white.
    • Standard pop rivets are not allowed
  • The bottom corners of the thigh ammo belt are rounded off.

Yours

Adam%204.jpg

Correct

Thigh%20ammo%20right.jpgThigh%20ammo%20inner.jpgThigh%20ammo%20left.jpg

4. Rear shins need cover strips where they'll be used to close the calves. Centurion requirement

From the CRL

For level three certification (if applicable):

• Lower legs must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Yours

Adam%203.jpg

Correct

Calf%20back.jpg

Example of using Velcro to close

Calf%20closure.jpg

Have any other questions feel free to ask

• Like 2

Thank you uk for your very in depth responce, i spent most of the day trying to fix some of those issues, heres what i've done today.

A simple but important moment for me was placing the shoulder straps, unfortunately i think the left side slid a little while drying so i might re-do it 

20151120_1447531_zpsvblhhvxj.jpg

easily the scariest thing i've done so far is shorten down the thighs, it had to be done but was still nerviness the entire time though i think it came out pretty well, i know there is that small gap in the left thigh but i'm hoping to make some of that GOOP stuff i've read in other threads to patch that up. as for the Ammo plate i used the heat gun a bit more and i got it as close i could, i still had to glue the other side but the gaps in between are much smaller now i think,

20151120_1635121_zpsamxh1efr.jpg

next up following the reference pictures i removed and replaced some velcro, cut a little more excess plastic off and laid down the back shin cover strips. they are meant mostly for show right?

I'm probly going to have to trim the shins down a little aswell but i'll see after i test fit with the new thighs.

20151120_1735391_zpsqenbk9vx.jpg

Last for the day before hunger overtook me i placed some snaps on the tops of the shoulder bells and inside of the biceps, i realize now i possibly should have went with velcro since i'm about to run out of snaps and still have alot to go. though i'm hoping to make a run to the store tomorrow and hope they have the right kind

20151120_1840031_zps6o19aupw.jpg

last for the night i painted the chest boxes, my hand shook alot so they aren't perfect but i think they'll do

20151120_1448181_zpsvjm39nnf.jpg

Tonight i'm hoping to cut out the drop boxes and tomorrow i'm hoping to get the "shirt" area complete, linking shoulders,biceps and chest/back with snaps. after that i'll probably be out of snaps and need to get more

again any advice/criticism is welcome. i honestly dont know if i can reach Centurion with my poor skills but one thing i have is more free time so i'll go back and do it over and over if i have too.

Good clean up work. I think with the cover strips you should find your shins are easier to close. I'm not sure what you meant by they are 'mostly for show'? They should have half glued onto the outside part of the shin and then close onto the other half. There is a pretty good diagram here:<br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27206-back-thighs-and-shins-ap-armor/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27206-back-thighs-and-shins-ap-armor/</a><br>

It might be the lighting, but I think the blue on your control panel looks a little dark?<br><br>

Just remember to keep rereading the CRL and check other build threads and I'm sure you'll be able to reach Centurion, don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions.<br>

Good luck!

Edited by Scotty33