seam/crevasses in coverstrip areas on AP fully trimmed armor

So I bought AP fully trimmed which is supposed to be ready to aassemble.<br>

Sizing it to make sure my limbs fit in it and they do in all pieces. <br>

Im going to be doing the butt joint coverstrip method. <br>

I ran into a problem. When taping them together they do not sit flush with the opposite side piece to the limb. There is either a massive gap in the middle or on the sides. Is this normal? is the coverstrips just going to go over these big gaps. Or do I need to do some trimming to make them flush before coverstrips?

post-24661-0-06819600-1443912677_thumb.jpg

post-24661-0-29702900-1443912694_thumb.jpg

post-24661-0-65040000-1443912713_thumb.jpg

post-24661-0-13072200-1443912734_thumb.jpg

by using tape the forms don't line up properly.Ā  Get some for sale sign plastic and glue it the one side on the inside of each part.

Ā 

Then cut your Finishing strips to 1" Thick for each thigh front.Ā  use the excess 1" part for the bicep cover strips cut down to 5/8"Ā  each thigh front should produce enough extra strip

for both biceps.Ā  on the shins cut the strip 1" and use the excess for the forearms cut down to 5/8"Ā  The back of each leg can be from 1" to 1 1/2" wide strips.

Ā 

I use a long plywood strip 4' long, 2 c clamps and a 1" wide aluminum strip.Ā  The Clamps hold the aluminum strip down on the plastic.

a box cutter ran 3 times firmly allows the score and snap method.Ā  I use pliars to hold the strip on the waste edge to bend, score and snap the strips.

Ā 

sand the edges and dull side of the strip wipe down before applying.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

For sale sign plastic? its going to make it line up? 1" is 25.4 mm I thought that it was supposes to be 15mm arms, 20mm fronts, and 25mm or bigger for backs? <br>

Thanks for the quick reply. <br>

Is ap armor just different?<br>

I remember you said you build tons of them.

AP does require a little work with trimming etc to get things aligned. Be patient with it, look at plenty of other build threads to check how things look when assembling and enjoy the experience .

What Vern has suggested is definitely a good way to go about getting your halves together. (For sale sign material) basically an inner cover strip and you can use your ABS to make these. As its glued on the inside makes adding your external cover strip much easier to align and look correct.

Because your two thigh halves don't lion up perfectly along their length is not an issue at all. You want the bottoms of them to be reasonably level, as the tops can be partially hidden by the cover strip, or you can trim the tops for better asthetics.

I love my AP and enjoyed the challenge of building it. Check out my build thread and Centurion application under the Redbacks logo below ( if you are viewing this on the website) you won't see it if on Tapatalk.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I looked through your whole build and picked up alot of great info.<br>

But my limbs fit inside so I dont know why I would need extra material for that kind of gap.<br>

I understand now that the top goes up and bottem stays level.<br>

I guess you could say my closing gap isnt flush... like because the trimmed cut was cut at an angle instead of straight so it causes a gap. <br>

Im just not sure if it would be safe to risk trimming it down since each side is already at like the 10mm mark. So thay the 20mm cover strip will fit over it. But because the trim has curves in it im afraid it wont line up properly. :(

the leg parts are aligned from the top down always.Ā  you need at least 1" of width across the front. just cut some fore sale signs (larger size length. ) to 1" widths.

Ā 

so by adding inner strips. 1" wide this will help align everything.Ā  use white duct tape from the inside.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I thought AP fixed all these misalignment issues? <br><br>

I just had a garrison mate bring over his armor (which he got 3 weeks ago) to help him trim it, and the thighs and shins are still misaligned like they were years ago.