Assistance With Build

Dirk_The_Daring

Hello,

I'm fairly and admittedly new to all this. I have my stormtrooper costume that I had built, and I have a LOT of "pinch spots". Is there any way I could trim my costume down a bit without risking the costume not being 501st approved?? The parts in question are the back of my knees, and my forearm and biceps where the costume parts meet. See attached photos please 

post-24834-0-64606600-1443544460_thumb.jpg

post-24834-0-74479100-1443544464_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about the fit in general, but the two problems you mentioned can be fixed by raising your biceps a little, and raising your thighs.  Both are actually TOO low right now.  The gap at the top of your thighs is noticeably large.  If you tighten up that strapping and get them raised, your knees won't have as much trouble bending.  Same goes for your biceps, but in that case, don't raise them too much, or the gap between them and your forearms will be too large.

Hope that helps!

you can trim the back of the knee, and the back of the thigh.  I wear wraps around my knees and elbows to help guard against pinching.

armor bites are pretty normal!

gallery_12157_38_9833.jpg

see the trooper on the left?   rotate the thighs outwards, and shorten your bicep up higher.

see how high up the biceps are in the film?  most people here wear them too low.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Oh ok. I'll have to try that. I was actually debating on just getting a knee brace to put underneath the under suit as extra padding without it being seen to prevent those armor bites. Has anyone tried that?? Same with maybe an slow brace or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pho3nixonfir3

Yes, that's what he was referring to, actually. The brace under the suit. When you say you have to figure out how to keep the thighs up, what exactly do you mean? Do you have strapping there now? Can you maybe post a picture of your strapping and suspension system? It isn't all just resting is it? You can cut out the areas he mentioned, but raise the thighs first and you probably won't have to. You have a ways up you can go, separating that gap.

Oh!! Sorry I didn't understand the reference then. Perfect. And I literally have a belt that wraps around my body but isn't held up but by the tightness that I make it. And the thighs are hanging from there underneath the chest plate.

Hahaha. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do. The thighs have an elastic part that a nylon belt holds up. But the belt always slips, causing the thighs to slide down. So I have to figure out how to create less elasticity to keep it shorter.

If you are having trouble with the thigh strapping, I would highly suggest picking up a pair of these, http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29991-thigh-garter-system/.  I have had mine for quite a while, and I swear by them!  You can attach your thighs in a matter of seconds, they are completely adjustable, and will never, ever slip down.

Have a look at what Joseph suggested. Consider various options. Don't rush, do t stress. Maybe take a shot at sewing. You can even pinch and sew, making it shorter without removing the finished end. We're here to help as you go!

Thanks guys. Your feedback is helping immensely. I just want to be able to be part of the 501st and still be comfortable enough that I can troop for long periods of time. I've trooped in my suit for a total of 4 hours consecutively. I'm proud of it, but there were a lot of things that came to attention where I needed my handler to constantly adjust something. I want the least amount of adjusting going on.

Your kit will always be a work in progress. It's never done!! Whether it's repairs, or just dialing it in a bit more. You'll get to know it intimately. So whether you built it or not, you're gonna learn how it's put together! Hahahaha

• Like 1