E6000 vs. Silicone?

Hi, I'm still researching in advance of receiving my armor, and in using E6000 on some other projects, I'm noticing it's very similar to plain old fashioned silicone.

The difference is E6000 smells so strongly and unpleasantly for so many hours that the dirty looks from my wife will become unbearable when it comes time to build my armor. ;) Also, E6000 seems more "stringy" than silicone. I'd rather just use silicone.

After a bit of online searching, I'm not getting the answer to this question: Can I use silicone instead? Is E6000 simply that much better an adhesive that I have to jeopardize my marriage to build a suit of armor? Perhaps I need to rough-sand a little bit for silicone to work well enough?

Please do shed some light on this if anyone has any insights. :)

Thank you!

Bill

Edited by Astyanax

The goal of adhesives for beginners making armor is really broken down into ease of use.

Having the proper tool to do the job is e-6000.  it is removable, replaceable and very flexible and strong.

Silicone also has smell during cure, it's always possible to insert parts into boxes and leave in the laundry area, garage, bathroom or other

smell controlled area.

Temp during cure should stay at 70d or so.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Silicone also has smell during cure, it's always possible to insert parts into boxes and leave in the laundry area, garage, bathroom or other

smell controlled area.

Right, but silicone is significantly less repulsive in smell than the E6000 around here. Are the two any different? I can only guess that E6000 makes a stronger bond? I know that silicone is also removable, replaceable, but is it as strong?

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by Astyanax

I use clear silicone on a weekly basis, Bill, and while it is strong, it is designed as a sealant, and not an adhesive.  Both are removable, but the E-6000 is a glue, and literally thousands of us have used it for our builds.  I would (pardon the pun) stick with what is tried and true, and follow Vern's advice about finding a place that you can store it while it dries.