questions about trooping alone

Hey everyone! I'm looking forward to completing my armor and becoming a member. I'm also looking forward to doing charity events, marches, etc.

I've voiced my excitement to friends and family, and they're already asking me to dress up for events that aren't "official" or in a 501st setting such as birthdays, other charity events. Would I have to consult with my garrison leader, or would it be ok if I do these events by myself? considering of course I'd still be adhering to the code of conduct that's expected? I couldn't find any topics on the matter. thanks for your help!

It is highly suggested NOT to troop alone. It is always suggested to set up your event through your Garrison to make it officially noticed as a troop so you can get credit on your Tour of Duty sheet. Also, troopers need someone to watch your back. When signed up on an official troop though your garrison, typically there will ALWAYS be someone with you. You will almost never be left to troop alone. Plus more troopers means a more exciting event for your friends and family.

• Like 2

You own the kit, so technically speaking you can do whatever you want with it.

Having said that, for personal safety reasons it's never a good idea to troop alone. You will find that both your mobility and your field of vision is quite limited in full kit, and people tend to forget there is an actual person inside the armor.

Birthday parties can be especially hazardous - imagine dealing with a dozen or more sugared-up kids who are only interested in you in the 10 minutes or so it takes for them to whack the hell out of you with toy lightsabers. What's worse is that some parents actually encourage said behavior, not having any idea of the expense of your costume (in both time and money) and not realizing or caring (as if that should even matter) you are not being "paid" to do this. Not fun at all ...

• Like 1

if you end up signing up for an event that no other Garrison member is doing, think about what the event is before doing it. If there's a lot of kids, a really crowded event, or something like a sporting event where there'll be some drunk people, I wouldn't recommend doing those by yourself. If you can have a friend or someone there as a handler, to watch your back, then you should be okay. Having someone watching out for you is the most important thing!

Even an official event can be extremely dangerous with one trooper and one squire. Just be safe. If this is for friends and you trust the people you would be in costume with have fun and enjoy. You paid for the costume. It's yours to wear whenever you want.. No one can tell you otherwise unless you intrude on Legion business. Whenever I dress up and do anything fun in costume outside of official garrison events I always have someone with me who will take care of us. Watch my back and be my eyes and ears.

As for charity events, those should be done through your garrison. They will have a much better turn out and the price is the same. :)

• 3 months later...

Yet another great thread. I have had reservations about doing anything by myself. I live in a small community, only about 9,000 people so I imagine that as soon as it gets out that there is a trooper in the area that my phone might go crazy. My garrison is based about 3.5 hours drive away in good weather ( I will be attending larger events when I can). I suppose that I will need to polish up my list of trusted friends to play handler for me if I am to do any trooping locally. :sSW_stormtroopers:

• Like 1