TFA Glues

ukswrath

So I learned today E6000 is NOT recommended for the TFA build because it flexes and may cause bondo work to crack. I see a few builders using E6000 but I don't see anyone discouraging it.

CA glue or similar is the glue of choice from what I hear. Again, why isn't that being emphasized?

Hey Tony,

There is a thread a little further down about bondo replacement. There is already some discussion there. Some are suggesting not to use bondo because of its rigidity. In our build, if we had a different timeline we would have avoided CA glue and bondo altogether. Like many build methods and reagents, some will find what works reliably for them and some will choose other means and supplies. I gently encourage you to read the "bondo replacement" thread, and to learn the benefits/burdens of adhesive agents before proceeding so you can make the most informed decision for your personal build of the kit.

Best, -krista :atat:

• Like 2

As Krista wrote there are bondo replacements specificly for plastic. You would have to go with something that can flex if your joint can flex.

Also, rigid joints have the problem that the flexing right next to them tends to be a little higher. So you have to be careful to sand of all bondo in that area. Finally, if a rigid bond is not perfect it will crack more easily than a flexible bond, I had some problems with that on my sandtrooper.

For my tfa kit I will try to fuse everything with acetone and replace all bondo with abs. If that works it tackles all problems at once.

Hey Tony,

There is a thread a little further down about bondo replacement. There is already some discussion there. Some are suggesting not to use bondo because of its rigidity. In our build, if we had a different timeline we would have avoided CA glue and bondo altogether. Like many build methods and reagents, some will find what works reliably for them and some will choose other means and supplies. I gently encourage you to read the "bondo replacement" thread, and to learn the benefits/burdens of adhesive agents before proceeding so you can make the most informed decision for your personal build of the kit.

Best, -krista :atat:

As Krista wrote there are bondo replacements specificly for plastic. You would have to go with something that can flex if your joint can flex.

Also, rigid joints have the problem that the flexing right next to them tends to be a little higher. So you have to be careful to sand of all bondo in that area. Finally, if a rigid bond is not perfect it will crack more easily than a flexible bond, I had some problems with that on my sandtrooper.

For my tfa kit I will try to fuse everything with acetone and replace all bondo with abs. If that works it tackles all problems at once.

Hey Krista and David thank you very much for the info. Looks like the jury for "How to properly assemble TFA armor" is still out to lunch. Good thing I'm in no rush. 

Well besides what was mentioned on the bondo thread I called a couple plastic and body shops. For ABS or equivalent plastics Devcon Plastic Welder II for bonding and Evercoat Poly-Flex Flexible Polyester glazing putty for the filler are the best on the market. With that said we'll see how they work.  

I elected to purchase the following:

Devcon Plastic Welder II - P/N 14340, 47ml cartridge (x2) (less waste, easier and cleaner to apply then the standard store sizes)

Devcon Mark 5 gun - P/N 230-14280

Devcon mixing tips - 10 pack, P/N ?

Evercoat Poly-Flex Flexible Polyester glazing putty, 30oz P/N 411