Kredal's ANH Hero build [AM2]

Kredal

Assuming your thighs are facing forward and you have your shins pulled down around your boots as far as they'll go, how much does you thigh over lap the sniper knee?

Ahhh, some serious trimming needs to happen!  I trusted the original cuts on the AM armor too much in some places.  I never took a knife or scissors to that plate.  Looks like I need to.  Yay E-6000!

You can also put some medium density foam on the inside of the left thigh, in the back. Put it around the last 2-3 inches. That will pull the thigh towards the knee joint. Do that after you fix the alignment that Tony pointed out, if you are still overlapping.

It also looks like your chest plate is way high. I am no expert, but I am fairly sure the CP should overlap the AB Plate by a couple of inches. Looks great though, you'll be done in no time!

OK, point of order:  If I make it look like the bottom picture (which I think is what needs to happen, given the shape of my shin piece), it looks like it might be contrary to:

• Sniper knee plate is aligned with the ridges on the shin.

from the CRL, for EIB certification.

How picky are they about that?  

It also looks like your chest plate is way high. I am no expert, but I am fairly sure the CP should overlap the AB Plate by a couple of inches. Looks great though, you'll be done in no time!

Yup, the chest piece is too high.  I have a couple fixes planned for that: When I redo my strapping inside with the lock nuts, I'll be replacing the center strap with a much shorter loop of elastic to bring it down, and when I mount the Aker and iComm in the chest, that will also bring it down by the weight of them.  Just the act of resting my arms on the neck opening is enough to bring it right into place, so those two fixes should be plenty.  Thanks!

You can also put some medium density foam on the inside of the left thigh, in the back. Put it around the last 2-3 inches. That will pull the thigh towards the knee joint. Do that after you fix the alignment that Tony pointed out, if you are still overlapping.

Brandons foam suggestion is also a great idea to align armor. Without foam my legs look bow-legged, foam is your friend. ;)  

• Like 1

Re: shoulder bell straps, I took the measurements from snap to snap, then shortened it by about 20mm from there, knowing it would stretch out... Guess I didn't know how much it would stretch! I'll bring it in another 25mm unstretched, and that should be enough. Hopefully!

LOL@ the belt. Your original was definitely too low, and looks better, even if a bit high. 

The chest plate/ab gap also jumped out at me, as well as the shoulder bells. But those have been addressed. Looking good.

As for your sniper plate, I think they are pretty picky about the ridges lining up. So make sure they do. However, looking at your side pic your plate seems to be tilted back. If you look at the bottom row of knobbies they aren't horizontal like the pic Tony posted.You could probably get away with a tilt forward a few degrees away from your knee.

Keep up the good work! 

You posted the pic of Luke in his belt just as I typed my reply.

I wonder if ANH Hero regs on the belt are different than Stunt. Hmm...

I trimmed down the sniper plate this morning, and set it to gluing.  It's much closer to vertical, and the return edge at the top doesn't stick back into my knee quite so much.  I drew a line where the bottom edge of the knobbies were before, and that line is completely obstructed now.  Also, the giant gap under the center is almost gone, which is probably a good sign!

4xOO73gl.jpg

Ls4NUG4l.jpg

iVN7tX6l.jpg

I put a coat of paint on all of the rivets that call for it.  Gonna do another coat this evening... The ammo belt rivets really need it because of the damage I inflicted on them while putting them on.  (:

5bsvax8l.jpg

rnzkkSzl.jpg

Regarding the belt, the CRL for both the hero and stunt uniforms are silent about belt placement with regards to the the ab button plate.  It's talked about a lot in EI and Centurion approval threads, I know... Shrug.  I'm going to leave that alone for now, since moving it to halfway between where it is now and where it used to be will require removing at least one of the snaps from the ab plate, and drilling more holes.  Work on the 90% fixes first, then zero in on the super-accurate things that aren't on the CRL!  (:

Didn't get to the snaps last night, but looking more closely at my pictures, there's a lot less un-stretched movement that I need to make than I thought.  Maybe one Dritz snap-width... Easy fix is putting another Dritz snap in the strap right next to the current one, and trying it on.

Brandons foam suggestion is also a great idea to align armor. Without foam my legs look bow-legged, foam is your friend. ;)

I cannot take credit for this idea, I have seen others use the foam trick; thus it is in my build bible to have foam on hand for final fitting. Thanks though Tony :)

Chest:  I put in the Aker and iComm with blue tape, and put on the torso.  Just that little weight was enough to bring down the chest to at least overlap the ab.  It's not down really far, but I'm a little tall for a stormtrooper, so any amount helps.  As long as you can't see daylight (or my undershirt) between the plates, I'm happy. I'll get those semi-permanantly attached with Velcro later.

RcPzK6Il.jpg

Sniper knee is done, and should be way less painful.  (:  Also, looks a lot closer to the pics posted earlier in the thread.

etqAalZl.jpg

grpniEsl.jpg

lF9eYyRl.jpg

Anyone see any possible complaints against the level 2 CRL here?

Oh, regarding foam.  Wouldn't I want the foam in the front, right below the knee, to push out the front end more?  I would think putting foam in the back would draw the front into my knee and under the thigh plate even more?

Edited by Kredal

I had that exact same problem with my sniper plate.  I'm so glad I looked at your thread.  It's currently drying in the garage.

Anyone see any possible complaints against the level 2 CRL here?

Oh, regarding foam.  Wouldn't I want the foam in the front, right below the knee, to push out the front end more?  I would think putting foam in the back would draw the front into my knee and under the thigh plate even more?

Sniper knee, L2 no, actually I really wouldn't see a problem with L3 either however, I would have like to have seen the left side sniper edge (looking at it installed from the installed position) a bit more aligned with the shin return edge, but at this point I wouldn't touch it unless gazmosis advises you to. 

Foam position, basically install your armor with the shin in its new position. Move your thigh around (forward or back) to find the sweet spot. Add foam accordingly.

I'm curious to see what Gaz says about the sniper plate. I see Josh's conundrum, the current position lets the plate stand vertical and away from dude's kneecap, but isn't aligned with the return edge. If he aligns the return edges, the plate angles back and hits the kneecap.

Is there a way to modify the return edge so it lines up with the sniper plate's edge?

I'm curious to see what Gaz says about the sniper plate. I see Josh's conundrum, the current position lets the plate stand vertical and away from dude's kneecap, but isn't aligned with the return edge. If he aligns the return edges, the plate angles back and hits the kneecap.

Is there a way to modify the return edge so it lines up with the sniper plate's edge?

Yea that's why I mentioned not touching it, it's a design issue. Just find the happy medium and run with it. I personally think it will be fine as is.

Initial Garrison approval pictures emailed!

I have an Imgur album with all of the pictures taken today here: http://imgur.com/a/I4gEK

Not gonna post them all here until I need to for level 2 and/or three approval.

Stupid chestpiece is riding high still, even with electronics.  I might have to just strap it down in place with an extra strap and a couple buttons, if it's not going to behave on its own.  On the other hand, it didn't hurt to stand still with my knee plate today, so that issue is fixed at least.  

Anyway, fingers crossed I get to be part of the 501st soon!

I'm approved by the local Garrison!  Just waiting on my TK number now.  Hoping for 44678, or "GHOST" to go along with my other major obsession.  (:

The only comment the GML had for me was the chest-ab separation.  I added another strap between the two, with a 6-inch elastic strap and snap plates about 9 inches apart, so it'll be under constant pressure.  That BETTER be enough to keep it from riding high.  Once the E-6000 sets, I'll take a few more pictures.