What route to blast down?

lantern27451

Hey everyone!  How goes it?

So I (like many a noob) have the whole summer and fall to arm myself.  I of course speak of the time between now and the lovely brown boxes arriving from just south of me via our new friends at Anovos.

I'm a pretty handy guy (to have in a fight),and want to craft an ANH E-11 to go with my armor.

So I put it to you, dear afficianados, what route should I take.

Some background;  I build things.  Big things, stupid things, cool things.  What ever I can.  I'm a machinist, but can't get machine time at work...  Yet.  A buddy has a 3D printer at work, but it's older and again time on it may be fleeting.

I've read just about every thread dealing with just about every manner of E-11 replica.  Resin, rubber, 3D printed or demilled.

I'd love to go the demilled route.  I figure at the least, I could cast parts off of it.  (I also will be responsible for building 4 other blasters.)

Buying a 3D printer is also something I'm toying with.  The wife said not now, but not no.

The resin kits out there are getting scary good.  But for what I think it would cost for 5, I could buy that printer.

A demill is affordable, in so much as I could use it to make more of them.  Though I would still need a scope, power cylinder and counter so I wouldn't be completely self sufficient. But who is these days?

What to do, what to do?

Bounce ideas off me my dear brothers in armor.  Sisters too.

- Jeff in Green Bay

Edited by lantern2745

The DoopyDoo resin kits are like $100 shipped to US.  No way are you going to get a "good" 3D printer for $500.

Of course, getting your HANDS on 5 resin kits is going to be hard.  I'm still trying to get one.  Last time they came in stock, I was asleep for the 2 hours they were available.

I'm not sure what "demilled" means, so there's that, and it might be a perfectly reasonable way to go. (:

Well, you gotta pay between 150 and 230 dollars for a demilled sterling, if you can get one.

(Apex, for instance, is out of stock)

So that's quite a huge amount of cash, considering that you still have to source a barrel, a scope, the counter and the power cylinders ...

("Demilled" is short for "demilitarized", meaning a once functional weapon is neutered through welding parts together or cutting apart, so it can't be used anymore for shooting real ammunition.)

For now, there is no real budget alternative to doopydoo or phoenix replicas.

Even printing the stuff out is becoming expensive and tedious after a while ...

• Like 1