M38 scope help

Does anyone know what tool can be used safely to unscrew the retaining rings that hold the lenses in place?

The scope I am trying to open up has a lot of corrosion and will probably need some additional persuasion to loosen it up. Maybe some WD-40 or silicone spray, or some mild heat ? I don't want to damage the lenses or strip the metal at all. Any advice on how I should go about this is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know what tool can be used safely to unscrew the retaining rings that hold the lenses in place?

The scope I am trying to open up has a lot of corrosion and will probably need some additional persuasion to loosen it up. Maybe some WD-40 or silicone spray, or some mild heat ? I don't want to damage the lenses or strip the metal at all. Any advice on how I should go about this is greatly appreciated.

With your skills as a custom part creator from your blaster build. I would make a key from a piece of aluminium. Use some WD40 or some sort of super penetration spray to get in there a day beforehand.

Thanks Derrek for the vote of confidence but I am certainly going to mess this up. I will try the spray first and let it sit a day or two as you recommend. The retaining ring is really stuck in place so the material I use to I loosen it will have to be steel or it probably will just bend .

There are 2 tiny screws that hold the retaining ring in. They are around the outer perimeter of the scope.

And two more secure the internal lenses with the crosshairs. They are concealed beneath paint and very small!

A self made tool is also helpful. But I made mine of thin steel. I think aluminum will bend if the nuts a little tight.

You find a picture of the tool I made in my conversation thread.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 tiny screws that hold the retaining ring in. They are around the outer perimeter of the scope.

Norman, thanks for the tip.my scope has a lot of wear and tear and I missed seeing those screws. I finally understood what you where talking about and undid those tiny screws . That helped the big lens retaining ring unscrew. It was still getting stick but I managed to get it off.thanks a million!

And two more secure the internal lenses with the crosshairs. They are concealed beneath paint and very small!

A self made tool is also helpful. But I made mine of thin steel. I think aluminum will bend if the nuts a little tight.

You find a picture of the tool I made in my conversation thread.

Good luck!

Christian, I just had a look at your thread . I hadn't see that before so thanks or pointing it out. Cool to see how you took it apart. I haven't found the other two tiny screws yet but I will check tomorrow. Not sure i will do a complete cleaning like you I'd. Too many parts to mess up and or get how to put back.

Appreciate your help.thanks a million too!

Hi Brian when I took apart my m38 scope like others have said there are very tiny screws and I used a 2p penny that seated in the groves perfect. Tip try doing it up first then undoing as sometimes that helps release the movement

Hi Brian when I took apart my m38 scope like others have said there are very tiny screws and I used a 2p penny that seated in the groves perfect. Tip try doing it up first then undoing as sometimes that helps release the movement

Thanks Mark. I will try the coin trick. Hadn't thought of that. Hope to have a go at it tonight. Appreciate your help. I might have more questions if I am ale to take it apart further. Cheers!

• Like 1