Painting helmet white?

So, my first of many questions likely to come up on the board!

I have an AM 2.0 kit on the way, and I've been watching the Trooperbay videos to see what to do and what not to do (For instance, I know not to use CA glue, and bought a big tube of E6000 instead, but I *DID* buy a pair of cut-resistant gloves!)

So when he's putting together the helmet, once it's all attached, he paints the white plastic... white.  Like 3 or 4 coats of enamel, it looks like.  Is that a mandatory thing?  Shouldn't it be white already out of the box, or is there a shade variation between the helmet and the armor that's important? Or is it all about getting a good topcoat for the details (traps, tears, teeth) to adhere to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OK1wYntio is the first of the helmet painting videos.

that was an older video of a TE2 helmet that was pulled in styrene which needs to be primed and painted. The helmet you will receive will be gloss ABS that will require no painting.

There's white shiny ABS and there's matte grey/yellow/green/beige HDPE[s?] which it looks like he's using in the videos. Screen used ANH were hdpe helmets with abs armor if I'm not mistaken. So you only have to paint the hdpe white beforehand

Edited by charlesnarles

that was an older video of a TE2 helmet that was pulled in styrene which needs to be primed and painted. The helmet you will receive will be gloss ABS that will require no painting.

Awesome, thanks for the info!