How many credits to build an TFA?

TK4205

I've been requested to build another TFA.

I have already built one and I should be just as good as anybody to ask, but if I charged even minimum wage for building this kit, I don't think anyone would want to pay 200 hours maybe more.

So help me here with a figure for just work involved in this kit. Materials will be accounted for separately.

Gosh Wyatt that's a tough one to answer. I'd say in the end it comes down to what value you assign to your time while also trying to help a legion brother/sister. I think you're on the right track in that charging "actual" per hour rates would drive up the cost beyond what most could afford (1k - 2k).

Have you considered perhaps a trade for you services? Is there anything on your "want list" even if not hobby/501st related? Tools or hardware perhaps? Something this person could provide in exchange for the service. Just a though as it would have all parties getting what they want. :)

Edited by Vertex
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Serge - it really depends on how much you value your time, and what you choose to be your "hourly rate". You don't want to shortchange yourself, but at the same time you don't want to fleece someone.

Personally, I have a good 150 hours of build time in my TFA suit. That doesn't count the hours my build team put in. If I did that, 200 hours would be a reasonable estimate.

I guess a good base to go off of would be what RS or TM charges for a fully-built suit (minus the cost of the plastic), and go from there.

Do you take orders from anybody? I have been looking for someone to build me a suit!

You can email me. I am very busy right now, but we could maybe work it out later.

tk4205@gmail.com

I agree with Serge - it really depends on how much you value your time, and what you choose to be your "hourly rate". You don't want to shortchange yourself, but at the same time you don't want to fleece someone.

Personally, I have a good 150 hours of build time in my TFA suit. That doesn't count the hours my build team put in. If I did that, 200 hours would be a reasonable estimate.

I guess a good base to go off of would be what RS or TM charges for a fully-built suit (minus the cost of the plastic), and go from there.

How much in just materials?

Paul and I lost track at about $300. It was such a hurried job.

I know it depends on the materials too. Some people use epoxy, while others get away much cheaper with CA clue.

Thats a tough one Wyatt.  If there are no friends/squad mate variables to consider (which usually lowers the cost), I'd recomend doing some soul searching to put a price tag on a lump sum fee of what 4+ weeks of your time will cost.  I would be surprised is someone actually ofered to pay hourly.

OR

Have this person pay for the supplies to make 300 sets of Gaskets in return to build a TFA kit.  I don't know how much thats worth, but just throwing it out there.

I also lost track of the cost in just materials, especially since I had two builds going on at the same time and we pooled our resources.

@ Wyatt: We are with 6 of our Garrison in the Beta group, so probably July or August. Nice time for you to come over to the Netherlands, take my boat for the sunny days, enjoy some well deserved vacation, and while you're here...help us out with your practical experience. What do you say? (a new career opportunity) ;-)

A finished Boba Fett from an experienced builder usually comes in at around $6000. But that includes materials. So I think, given that the TFA seems slightly less complicated of a build than Boba, that you have a upper limit there.

@ Wyatt: We are with 6 of our Garrison in the Beta group, so probably July or August. Nice time for you to come over to the Netherlands, take my boat for the sunny days, enjoy some well deserved vacation, and while you're here...help us out with your practical experience. What do you say? (a new career opportunity) ;-)

That's just not something I would be able to....what kind of boat?

I also lost track of the cost in just materials, especially since I had two builds going on at the same time and we pooled our resources.

Sometimes, it's just better not to count.  :)

• Like 1