Artistic License when it comes to screen accurate scratches and paint flaking

Hiya FISD!  :) 

My ESB trooper is coming along nicely (or rather moving along nicely) and I've just assembled my bucket. This is my first build and I'm surprised how well I've managed so far. 

Now, I'm going all the way. I painted my RS bucket in HDPE and will simulate the scratches and paint flaking of the original "patch-helmet." 

I've been thinking of how to tackle it. I'm going the masking liquid route, which which I'm currently experimenting a bit.
Obviously my goal is to make a helmet as screen accurate as possible but inevitably I'll have to take some artistic license. Of course, the "patch-helmet" isn't the worst one when it 

comes to condition and thus should be quite easy to achieve. 

Still, I'm wondering what method or rather what approach others who have made this bucket have taken. Most photos on SW-Helmets and in the reference gallery aren't detailed enough

to get a full picture, so any better photos would be greatly appreciated.

Curious to hear your opinions. 

Anywho, Cheerio!

17721723019_7548db0070_c.jpgBucket by kbrck114, on Flickr

I currently making a chipper myself, and I'm doing a "logical" approach.

Like with the hand guards, the paint comes off where the helmet is often handled.

Examples: The chin, where the helmet is grabbed

All the weak and thin spots

Around the brow and neck trim

A little on the edges

etc, etc

And remember: less is more!

PS: Try using mustard instead of masking latex. 

I use latex rubber mold material.  it's a thicker application that makes it work best.

When making 'replica' helmets it can be quite a complex art of shapes, cuts, placement and detailing in scratches.

since this is a hobby, and a deployment situation, the best practice is to get your local GML .on your build process,

as well as having the FISD deployment officer involved in the process

• Like 1

I currently making a chipper myself, and I'm doing a "logical" approach.

Like with the hand guards, the paint comes off where the helmet is often handled.

Examples: The chin, where the helmet is grabbed

All the weak and thin spots

Around the brow and neck trim

A little on the edges

etc, etc

And remember: less is more!

PS: Try using mustard instead of masking latex. 

MUSTARD?!  :blink:   :laugh1:

Yes, mustard. The Boba Fetts use it on their helmets!

Your helmet looks great!

That is ridiculous! But then after using the masking fluid I can see why mustard might be preferable. Still, I had patience and my results were great.

Thanks! Mounting the hovis today and painting the stripes on the ears and the helmet is done, at least externally. I'm still waiting for my butyl strip to arrive to mount the green lens, which is currently held in position in the traditional manner, i.e. by the ear screws. And then I'll have to add the stains and the weathering and wooops, it's not done after all.  ;)

Edited by Stig

Alrighty, here she is. Finished before weathering, along with my WIP armour. Hopefully I'll get something done today.

Can somebody give me advice for weathering this ugly thing? I'm planning to use acrylic paint for the glue stains, but as far as the rest, the black scuffs goes, I'm at a loss. I've found black eyeliner makes nice looking scratches, but they will come off and smudge. Same for the neck trim method, which looks really nice, but comes off.

18013794202_a3ba96f88e_c.jpgTk by kbrck114, on Flickr

Rubbing your armor with wet Black & White newspaper gives some really nice results. As far as if it will hold on, unless you use paint, pretty much every weathering method won't stay if you don't seal them. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28549-fully-finished-anh-stunt-tk-15mm-abs-from-troopermaster-with-some-modifications/?p=364988

Rubbing your armor with wet Black & White newspaper gives some really nice results. As far as if it will hold on, unless you use paint, pretty much every weathering method won't stay if you don't seal them. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28549-fully-finished-anh-stunt-tk-15mm-abs-from-troopermaster-with-some-modifications/?p=364988

I figure that method will work very well with the armor, but I don't know about the helmet. I want to replicate the scratches on the original.

How would I seal it? I've heard about using hairspray, but I worry that might mess with my paintjob and dull it down.

If you weather your helmet, i hope you'll weather your armor too ;)

To seal your weathering i guess you can use a rattlecan of Clearcoat. However, be careful, some are dull, others satin, and others gloss, so choose it according to the finish of your helmet. But to be honest, i have no experience in clearcoating a stormtrooper helmet so i'd wait for other advices.

If you weather your helmet, i hope you'll weather your armor too ;)

To seal your weathering i guess you can use a rattlecan of Clearcoat. However, be careful, some are dull, others satin, and others gloss, so choose it according to the finish of your helmet. But to be honest, i have no experience in clearcoating a stormtrooper helmet so i'd wait for other advices.

I think I'll pass on the clearcoat thing! I'm terrified of spray painting. I'm surprised I managed this far! :D

Of course the armour is getting weathered!  :smiley-sw013: 

I don't think I'll be able to achieve the desired look with paint. Take a look at this photo. What I mean is the scratching on the back, which really seems to be paint having rubbed off from something.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

You could try something like a black crayon. That might do something similar.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to apply paint to an item (like a dowel or plastic/acrylic rod), let it dry, then use that to apply rub marks.

My scout holster has all kinds of scuff marks from taking the blaster out.

Also - as a note, and to echo what was said above: make sure your GML knows what you're doing/why you're doing it. You'll get denied at the first glance if they don't know you're going for screen accuracy. Even still, make sure they know exactly what you're trying to achieve. 

Almost there! 

I had exactly that idea, I had a piece of spare ABS I used for mixing the black humbrol that I just rubbed over the helmet and it worked great. 
Still needs more little details, but almost done! First shot is overexposed, which is why you can't really see the weathering.

18242218685_8dc71d93a7_c.jpgDSC04507 by kbrck114, on Flickr

18242155485_09e30cc0c8_c.jpgDSC04509 by kbrck114, on Flickr

17621499573_c91b122467_c.jpgDSC04515 by kbrck114, on Flickr

Edited by Stig
  • Like 1