iLLuSiOnZ_09 ANH Stunt Armor Build (*ATA)

While this won't keep you from getting accepted, If you want to go the extra mile, put that large cover strip flush with the edges and bond it with strips on the inside and erase the seem with ABS baste. That way you can do the 20mm cover strip on top. Glad to see you are back at work on the armor again!

While this won't keep you from getting accepted, If you want to go the extra mile, put that large cover strip flush with the edges and bond it with strips on the inside and erase the seem with ABS baste. That way you can do the 20mm cover strip on top. Glad to see you are back at work on the armor again!

thanks Jason.

I thought of that, but to be honest thats a lot of work that i do not have time for right now lol.

Maybe when i start touching up the armor and making adjustments later.

Right now I'm trying to get my armor done!  :smiley-sw013:

Don't get me wrong, i'm still trying to be meticulous and make it comfortable.

But finding time to get everything done is tough.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the sew in snaps to complete my shoulders.

53.jpg

Then marked where I wanted to put the snap on the shoulder strap.

In white string, naturally, i went ahead and sewed it in place.

54.jpg

55.jpg

Then I cut out 1 inch black elastic to sew in the other side of the snap.

56.jpg

57.jpg

After everything was sewed in, i cut out 12 inch elastic for the bicep strap on the shoulder bell.

58.jpg

Now that everything was cut, with Zap a Gap I went ahead and glued it all into place on the shoulder bell.

I left about 3/4 inch gap from the bell to the snap.

59.jpg

60.jpg

Once everything was glued and ready. I took some selfies to see my progress. Not only see how it fits, but just admire my work lmfao

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg65.jpg

Ok, i was happy now.

I started prepping for the left thigh then.

I measured and cut the front of the armor to have 20mm in the front and 40mm in the back. (just like i did with the right thigh)

66.jpg67.jpg

Edited by illusionz_09
  • Like 1

You're back at it again! Almost at the finish line!

lmfao!!! I'm trying. My goal is to try and finish by the end of the month.

Unfortunately the only time i get to work on the armor is when my daughter goes to bed for the night lol...

Ok so last night I installed the 2 inch elastic straps connecting my biceps to my forearms. I simply cut about 6 inch long straps and glued them in place with Zap a Gap with about a 1.75 inch gap in between to allow movement.

68.jpg

I know they seem far apart but i want to make sure they fall comfortably and in the right place.

69.jpg

Anyway, i have an issue/question for you guys:

When I bend my arms to grab my blaster or just in movement, the straps seem to bend upward and looks awkward on top of the armor.

70.jpg

Now it doesn't always happen, but its just one of those little things that annoy me.

So basically I'm wondering if i should shorten the strap or just do away with it altogether. I know the strap is screen accurate and hold it in place, but i have also seen people leave it free floating and just put padding in the inside to keep them in place in the forearms. 

What should i do? Am i stressing for nothing? I'm most likely going to put some padding inside the forearms anyway to fit more snug, but i was curious what everyone's opinion was about this issue?

Please let me know.

Wish I could have saved you from using CA glue. E6000 works really well gluing elastic in place. Holds really well but simple to remove. The elastic piece itself is ruined though. I had to make a few adjustments to cure armor bites. 

I finished up my left thigh. Just as the right, i have a 20 mm strip in the front for accuracy and a 40 mm strip in the back to fit.

71.jpg72.jpg

I then touched up both and this is the final thighs...

73.jpg

74.jpg

I have to work on the ammo pack for the right thigh. I will do that this week.

I also completed my TD.

75.jpg76.jpg

So what you're trying to say is you're taking your approval photos and submitting this weekend? 

lmfao!!!! my goal is to have it ready for pics at the end of the month. I still have quite a bit of stuff to work on lol.

TIME!!!!!!!!! horrible. I went to bed at 3 am yesterday; its the only time i have to work on it.

I cleanly trimmed the kidney and butt plates. I'm fairly thin and i cut about 1 inch off each side of the kidneys; I'll trim the rest when connecting to ab plate.

77.jpg

based on what i have seen, i made my drills at the points where i will be putting the snaps for the belt.

78.jpg79.jpg

I also drilled the same whole but for the cod piece. Will i need to get a special rivet for the cod or will a snap work? I might have made the hole a little tad big, realized too late lol.

80.jpg

Anyway, i installed the snaps (which i need to tighten up a bit, they are loose because of the angle i was installing them). Then aligned the chest and ab plate to see where it would fall to put the snaps behind it.

81.jpg82.jpg

83.jpg

I made a whole bunch of snap plates to install the snap system method throughout the inside (I don't have pics of the snap plates/snaps)

• Like 1

I sewed together my strap system belt to hold up my thighs.

I used a 1 inch buckle and 1 inch woven elastic.

84.jpg

85.jpg86.jpg

sewed in and adjustable.

started the internal snaps to connect the chest plate to the abdominal plate

87.jpg

Same for the kidney/butt plate.

88.jpg

Everything has sanded.

and then i cut cut out the ammo pack as well for my thigh.

89.jpg

My goal is to finish my snap system this week.

So i put most snaps in place so i can measure the kidneys.

IMG_1373_1.jpg

Now that i know where the kidneys will land, i cut the proper 22mm box on the lower edge of both sides of the kidney plate.

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

(I did not mean for those pics to be that big lol)

Anyway, while I was working i also put the 2 snaps in place on the butt plate.

IMG_1375b.jpg

then marked the aligned 3 dots on the left side of ab plate for where the rivets will go (10 mm from edge) and about 2 inches apart each.

IMG_1376_1.jpg

Aligned those dots with the same process for the kidney and then using a soldering iron created the whole.

IMG_1378.jpg

I then cut out some elastic for the straps that will connect the split rivets.

IMG_1379_1.jpgIMG_1380.jpg

I then did one side at a time to install the rivets accordingly.

First I opened them up with a paint can opener lol, then i hammered them down. I think it worked great...

You have inside and outside view here of the ab plate with the rivets installed.

IMG_1381.jpgIMG_1382_1.jpg

I did the same process to install the kidney plate to attached.

IMG_1383.jpgIMG_1384.jpgIMG_1385.jpg

Here is the connection view of the ab plate to the kidney. I still might add some strong elastic, just to reinforce it and make sure there is minimal gap while wearing it.

IMG_1386.jpg

I put the split rivet, with strap on the cod piece. For accuracy I am leaving it brass.

104.jpg

Male snap installed on the right side of abdominal plate

105.jpg

I am gluing the internal strap above to the opposite side with E6000 as mentioned by everyone i have seen.

So i used a clamp and tape to hold it in place while i glue it overnight. (outside and inside view)

106.jpg107.jpg

Then tackled the belt.

Scored to proper configuration on ammo belt.

108.jpg

I actually removed some extra above and below to get it thinner (no pic)

45 degree cut on corners

109.jpg

Then made the holes in their proper spots.

110.jpg

Aligned with Canvas belt to make the 3 adjacent holes and installed snaps to corresponding area on the ab plate.

111.jpg

Then installed the ammo pack to the canvas belt using split rivets.

112.jpg

113.jpg

Snapped the belt to place

114.jpg115.jpg

I still have to add the 3 covers, drop boxes, and holster.

I need to put it all on to show the progress on me lol. Soon...

I cut out the 3 covers for the belt.

IMG_1600.jpg

and then glued them in place overnight (with E6000); taped up for support

IMG_1601.jpg

Then started working on drop boxes.

Cut the strap to length and placed them where they go. (both sides)

IMG_1602.jpg

Measured where they should sit with the drop boxes and put the holes.

IMG_1603.jpg

I used split rivets to install the straps.

IMG_1604.jpg

front/back view of current stage of belt.

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

I glued the drop boxes in with E600 and taped them overnight.

And also put in some velcro where the boxes will hang to keep them in the correct position area.

IMG_1607.jpg

And then wanted some self progress shots of armor to see what needs to be touched up.

The biceps/forearms are connected, however i do not have the bicep hook to hold them up to the shoulder bell yet; so its just held up by pressure from the strap so its a bit loose here.

IMG_1631.jpgIMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

I need to connect the cod strap to the back. and also after this pic was taken i adjusted the shoulder strap connecting the chest to the back to shorten them to fall correctly.

I forgot to take pics from the sides and back to show what i meant.

Edited by illusionz_09

I put the snap in place for the cod strap

127.jpg

I also put the "furry" part of velcro on the clips for the TD to avoid armor scratching

128.jpg

Then cut a couple pieces to finish them up (hand plates, ab buttons)

129.jpg

I decided to finish the hand plates. So i put some ABS strips on the inside to get a better spot to put the straps.

130.jpg

Glued the hand straps. 

131.jpg

Then decided to tackle the bicep clips. Just using some force and pliers i was able to get them where i wanted.

132.jpg

E6000 glued overnight

133.jpg

I decided to finish my belt and install the holster

Based on the guidelines with location, i marked where they would be

134.jpg

Installed them with split rivets (back and front view)

135.jpg136.jpg

I have a question though, after i installed them i noticed many people didnt use rivets for the holster.

I found some screws (I think they are chicago screws) that i had from when i received my holster. 

Should I take out the split rivets and install the holster with these screws instead?

137.jpg

All this work and i dont want to have something stupid like the holster look weird.

All i have to do is install the ab buttons and i'm done from the cod up.

the thighs are assembled, just need to install the ammo pack on right thigh and then shins & sniper plate. Light at the end of the tunnel!!! lol

Edited by illusionz_09

Eventually I will get the Latex hand guards and glue them on, but in the meantime this is how the ABS plates look.

138.jpg139.jpg

Also wanted to point out, that since i tried on the armor i noticed the butt plate was flared too much so i cut some excess on the sides to even out with the armor look

140.jpg

Showing final arms assembled with hook.

141.jpg

Then tackled the ammo pack for thigh.

Cut and created holes where they would go.

142_1.jpg

Installed, i used split rivets since the smaller snaps were a mission to hold the pressure of the ammo holding in place.

143.jpg144.jpg145.jpg

Then did some painting. All the rivets on the left side i painted white and the rivets on the right knee ammo pack.

146.jpg147.jpg

Then painted the ab buttons accordingly and left overnight; i smudged a couple.

I need to touch them up a bit again.

148.jpg

With E6000 I glued the ab button in overnight. Support with painters tape and Magnets.

149.jpg150.jpg

Left overnight. The magnets messed up the buttons a bit, i just touched them up the next day.

Final result.

151.jpg

Started working on strap/elastic for thighs.

Glued with E6000 (3 inch wide elastic) to the inside of the thighs.

152.jpg

Then sewed the tips to be able to slide into the belt (after trying it on multiple times, i got the position where i wanted it)

153.jpg

And glued extra support spots to make sure it holds the position firm.

154.jpg

Finally started working on my shins (last things i need)

First took on the right shin... the front part of it. 

I am going to finish the front then size the backs after i have both.

155.jpg

The left shin is cut, just need to put it together.