NE TrooperGear ANH Stunt Build (First Build)

So finished connecting the Torso today. Still need to paint the buttons & rivets & get the belt attachments on.

Did a test fit and it seemed alright to me, without the belt properly on though the torso drooped and the chest plate wasn't cover it. So I just threw the belt on and it helped a lot, I imagine with the belt proper it would be alright.

20150717_184005_zpszidbknzs.jpg

20150717_184019_zpsxqq61edn.jpg

The but plate needs some adjusting, going to shorten the strap and may heat bend it inwards a bit so it wraps around me more.

20150717_184028_zps0qcxtdbq.jpg

20150717_184039_zpsn8ctbjww.jpg

Any insights from other sets of eyes? 

• 3 weeks later...

So update. Almost finished the belt, finished the detonator and alittle work on the legs.

20150801_155151_zpshscraphm.jpg

The ab plate snaps were a pain to place, had to get creative and buy the rod & hammer instead of the pliers I've been using.

20150731_184240_zpsbw7talk2.jpg

Doing the paint stick trick to help with the heat gun bending. The ends are longer in this picture, resized them once the snap covers were on.

20150731_185324_zpsdztyhhgi.jpg

Bending

20150731_191704_zpsdl6cnfxv.jpg

snaps on the canvas belt and ammo belt

20150731_192207_zpsl5h7vwds.jpg

Gluing on the snap covers, and the elastic for the drop boxes. Kept them to were I can open them if I really need to.

20150802_103750_zpsckzgke1z.jpg

Marking for the drill points

20150802_105208_zpswvcwdrkb.jpg

The detonator setting for the night.

20150802_110543_zpso5nq1jwh.jpg

knee belt bending. My rivet gun broke so gona have to wait till I get a new one to attach it.

20150801_170923_zpseovwiatu.jpg

Someone in a facebook group I'm in is doing GISHWHES (Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen) and one of the items on her list was:
"Work opportunities are scarce since the Death Star Blew up. Let's see a stormtrooper working at their job as a waiter, fast food line prep, car mechanic, postal worker, deli sandwich maker, road-repair worker, etc..)

So I helped her out with this pic, though I cut off the bottom so you couldn't see the khaki cargo shorts.

I did miss up on my belt and attatched the holster to the belt when it was upside down. So it ended up on the wrong side. Got the holster off with no problem, but going to have to reorder a belt. =(

Hoping to finish the legs this week and then the helmet is all that's left!

Someone in a facebook group I'm in is doing GISHWHES (Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen) and one of the items on her list was:

"Work opportunities are scarce since the Death Star Blew up. Let's see a stormtrooper working at their job as a waiter, fast food line prep, car mechanic, postal worker, deli sandwich maker, road-repair worker, etc..)

So I helped her out with this pic, though I cut off the bottom so you couldn't see the khaki cargo shorts.

I got roped into doing a couple GISHWHES pictures too, yesterday!  Technically, not supposed to make them publicly visible until the hunt is over, so I'll post mine on the 9th.  (:

Edited by Kredal

• 3 weeks later...

So almost done with the legs, will post pictures when I get them done. I've decided to go with the elastic loops / belt option to hold up the thighs. 

From what I've seen and read, most people don't have any strapping for the calves? They just kinda hold themselves up from clamping around the boots? Do I have that right?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok finally got around to my update. Pretty much done, except for some fitting/comfort issues and my bucket.

Thigh%203_zpsqxod2viw.jpg

Just gluing the thighs together.

da30c9f0-a0e4-45ad-af61-f554f0a0ddba_zps

The snap plates for the garter belt, about halfway down the thighs

garter%20belt_zpsdlnqgqvj.jpg

My fancy garter belt, I used the "V" style I've seen around. Also, the tape was there to give me a line while I was sewing it. Also glued them as well, I don't have access to a sewing machine anywhere.

Calf%201_zpsihcozpqo.jpg

Same techniques with the calves as thighs/forearms/biceps

Calf%203_zpszv2qeptn.jpg

Started to trim the return edges in the calves, so they're not pinching. 

Here's a few test fitting shots. Four things, 1 That is not the bucket I will use, just a FX Replica I've had for awhile. Just wanted to complete the look. 2. My right arms weren't snapped and I didn't notice till after the picture was done. 3. Those are not the boots I will use, I'm waiting for TKBoots.com to ship out their next production line. Those are UDReplica Motorcycle boots that go with my stormtrooper motorcycle suit. and 4. I forgot to put on my thermal detonator 

Testfit%205_zpsubh79it1.jpg

Testfit%206_zpsfioh1sep.jpg

Testfit%207_zpso5ppzjfc.jpg

Probably the biggest complaint I have so far is just putting the whole thing on lol. I'm sure it'll get easier with practice but it almost feels like I need a 2nd person to get the shoulder bells/arms snapped on. 

So Question 12: What's everyone's order that they put the suit on in?

Edited by jhpeyto

Started on my bucket today. Just trimmed out the teeth and started to look at how it goes together.

Helmet%201_zpsvz0diurh.jpg

Started with a few holes with my dremel

Helmet%202_zpse2sdhzuj.jpg

Finished them out. I've noticed the NE kit has 10 teeth, but only 8 are allowed. So after some looking I see that last one is just left alone and normally just painted over grey? Is that right?

Helmet%203_zps6gh0rq5p.jpg

Basic view of how it goes together. From what I understand the back is glued to the top. And the front/back are screwed together. I'll need to drill two holes for the mic tips up front, and get a wire mesh to go behind the teeth.

Helmet%204_zpso7ljv9uu.jpg

Ear pieces seem pretty straight forward, I am assuming this lip is the easiest way to see which side it goes on. Like this.

helmet%205_zpsn4opr7xe.jpg

And as far as the screws go, the "before ears" are drilled and screwed first, then the ear is placed over it. A slight gap is acceptable and sometimes expected?

And big question about the eyes. My kit came with 2 green lenses.

Eyes%203_zpsxsjf6pyp.jpg

These guys. I've read they're supposed to be flat and the black bubble ones are for hero builds, and these seem in between. Would these be acceptable? Here's a few more shots of what they look like in the helmet. They don't seem to "bubble" like hero lenses, but would love a more experienced opinion.

Eyes%202_zps8iquhnar.jpg

Eyes%201_zps9clawnfs.jpg

Question 13: Just ignore that 1st and 10th tooth and paint over them? The two on the far sides?

Question 14: What is good to use for the mesh? Or what department would I look at in say Hobby Lobby or Lowes?

Question 15: Would these lenses be acceptable for basic ANH Stunt status?

And of course any other comments, please post 'em.

Edited by jhpeyto

helmet%205_zpsn4opr7xe.jpg

Use the indentations for the ear screws as a guide only. What you could do (and there are many ways of doing this. Read some other build threads for ideas), position the face plate where you want to mount it on the helmet and tape, clamp it in place. Drill a single hole in the center of the top 3 indentations and use a nut and bolt to hold the face plate to the helmet. Make sure everything is aligned and looks the way you want it to.  

IMG_6209_zps2265e6e5.jpg

I also added a screw lower down to tighten up this area.  Once you're happy with how the face and bucket are joined together, you can mount the ears.  Drill the holes in the indentations in the ears, place them on the helmet and insert a thin pencil into the holes and mark the helmet.  Remove the ears and drill your mounting holes.

Make sense?

Regarding your other questions:

Question 12:

I put them on in this order: Thighs and belt, boots, calves, body (chest, back, abs, kidney, and butt all snapped together), belt with TD attached and then shoulder, biceps and forearms, all attached together, and finally gloves and then helmet.

Question 13:

yes

Question 14:

replacement/patch screen for a screen door.

Question 15:

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Update, nearing the finish line!

Thighs%207_zps40m4dwow.jpg

Did some trimming at the back of the thighs so I could walk easier. Just took a dremel saw to cut out the back portion.

Thighs%206_zpssv6hhf8e.jpg

Sanded down

Calf%205_zpskvjikh6v.jpg

Opened the tops of the calves more.

Thighs%205_zpsb4wu3lje.jpg

Got rid of a few "pinchy" corners

Ears%203_zpskjccbltu.jpg

Fuzzy picture I know. Not sure who's build I read this off of, but general idea was to take a large drill and hand drill about halfway down to give the screw a holy to go in, to make it more flush.

Ears%202_zpsetebjdwc.jpg

Ears%201_zpsjckjzctq.jpg

Just sitting in the holes, right side has the "hand drilled recess" 

Helmet%206_zpsjoz245ht.jpg

Gluing the helmet

Helmet%207_zpssinyzy2q.jpg

And the eyes. Put a small amount of E6000 on the edge of the eye pieces on the helmet. Then took a Q-Tip and edged more between the lenses and the inside of the helmet. Was a bit to peel off on the outside but it's held in well since then.

Helmet%208_zpsusg7cdgf.jpg

Was a sizeable gap when the ears were first put on. I decided instead of the sand, check sand check sand check I'd try heat bending. 

Helmet%209_zpslul53yhz.jpg

Turned out pretty good, still a gap but I find it acceptable. 

Helmet%2010_zpsqm4oyukp.jpg

Frown painted and mic tips painted.

Helmet%2011_zpsc7nplcjr.jpg

The stripes were pretty easy to put on, just lay them down and press them individually then remove the strip. The other spots minus frown & vocoder were stickers that came with the NE armor

Helmet%2013_zpscciow84v.jpg

Side by side of my bucket and the FX one I got 2 or 3 years ago. Still need to take a toothpick and clean up the frown and vocoder painting. And this is a better view of the ear gap, it's not that bad and I'm happy with it. 

Question 16: The double S trim that goes around the bottom, haven't seen any builds that show this in detail so I imagine it's stupid easy. It just starts in the back, goes along the bottom? And some dabs of E6000 to help it secure?

Question 17: I've read a lot of helmet fans, and seen some builds. Anyone have any recommendations on where to get some?

Question 18: Boots, the boots I've used in the pictures are my motorcycle boots, they're a bit too loose and tall around the ankle to be real TK boots. I'm currently on the waiting list for TKBoots (I think) and imperialboots hasn't emailed me back, are there any other good vendors? I've seen a few others but they have the seam in the front and only good for basic approval.

Hey Jayson, Your build looks great so far. As far as your questions:

16.  When you put the s trim in, I started mine in the front behind the vocoder. work it around pressing it in tight. once you get back to were you started, cut about an inch extra. Then force it over and butted up to the other end. the pressure against itself will hold it in. no glue needed.

Here is how mine looks. The pic is a bit fuzy, but you can see were the trim wrinkles a little on the edges on the front of the tubes from being pressed in.

20150530_152224_zpsdir0hlfu.jpg

17.  The helmet fans. I got mine from Echo. Evilboy also makes them.

18.  I got my boots from TK boots as well. I have ordered two pair from him. both times I didn't have t wait too long because I opted for the, What he calls, imperfect pairs. I have not dealt with Imperialboots or any other boot manufacturers for that matter, so unfortunately, I can't be of any help there.

I did my s trim the same way. Start and end at the vocoder. Mine seems to slip from times to time because my head is so big and tends to catch it when removing my bucket. Tempting to glue it in place as I have yet to finish everything and do a troop. 

Good news is I am pretty much done!

I'm waiting for some helmet pads and a some fans, but once I had those together that'll be it! And I'll post the finished pictures.
(And waiting for new boots)

I have a PA system from toopergear, has a headset and speaker that I'll put under the chestplate. I'll see how that works out. I have seen somewhere alittle speaker set that replaces the Aerators. Has anyone used them? 

Looking at this:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10123-howto-helmet-mounted-speakers/

Seems fairly straight forward, but waiting on John for a reply about the ROM/FX board

Edited by jhpeyto

Full%20Test%201_zpsynpxiak3.jpg

Full%20Test%202_zpsdsuepzfj.jpg\

Full%20Test%203_zpsm6scjuja.jpg

Full%20Test%204_zps5pq7ityw.jpg

So pretty much done.
Still missing:
1. Real TK boots, the motorcycle boots I have have thicker souls and very loose ankles, so they get all scrunched up.
2. The belt I need to redo, Messed up the snap placement by about 1/4 inch and put the hoslter in the wrong spot. (You can see the rivets) For the time being I will be going without a blaster/hostler. The little star wars rebel E11 blaster I got already started to come apart and it's pretty much just sat in my closet and my 2 year old has played with it some.
3. Forgot to paint the rivets on the right thigh

4. Helmet needs padding, still kinda swivels and bobbles around. Waiting on pads in the mail. (Along with helmet fans)

Thinking of:
1. Adding another strap on the right side of the "clamshell" so it doesn't open so bad. 
2. Heat bending the butt so it curves more, it kinda flares out looking at it from behind.
3. Some foam padding in the forearms to keep them from bouncing around.

Impressions so far:
1. I can walk around no problem, however I cannot pick anything up. If I drop something it's as good as gone. I'm assuming that is just the nature of the suit. 
2. Getting the full suit on is still a pain. I tend to go in this order: Thighs > Boots > Calves > Middle ( Ab, Butt, Kidney, Chest, Back all strapped together) > Gloves > Arms (Shoulders, Biceps, Forearms all strapped together) Helmet. Problem is I cannot seem to get the arms on by myself, always need my kid or wife to snap the shoulder to the strap under the shoulder ribs.

So anyone have any comments to add?

Edited by jhpeyto

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...