Look Sir, Droids! MTK Build - W.I.P.

I saw your build and you did a great job. I just need to start my strapping system done for my torso/kidney/ab so I can accurately tell how much I need to trim.

Depending on which type of strapping system you use, be prepared to buy a lot of snaps!

Depending on which type of strapping system you use, be prepared to buy a lot of snaps!

When I was advised to buy a 100 pack of snaps I laughed..... then I messed up 5 just practicing.

"100 pack it is then!"   :D

• 3 weeks later...

My son was visiting for 3 weeksso I hadn't had much time to work on my armor. Been picking away at it last week and this weekend. I ended up trimming down the shim as I made it much bigger than needed once I put my black compression shirt on. 

It's not pretty on the inside but I put some extra abs paste on the edges where the shim support sits. 

5508FC40-1080-4900-A18B-E311B8D6981A.jpg

If I could start over, I would have used much thinner ABS as the backing because I can't get rid of this small ridge without completing sanding away the ABS paste and completely exposing the seem. I think once I weather it and the belt is over it, it won't be as noticeable.

C93961AD-4CED-4E0A-95E1-0D7AD14BD5F2.jpg

Spent much of Saturday making snaps. My neighbors love me at this point  :laugh1:

3E001749-84A1-449A-AE36-842CFC4F5D7A.jpg

Beginning to finally get this thing together! I think I might add 2 more snaps on the butt to kidney to keep the edges aligned. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'm going to get some pictures of it on tonight and I'm sure there will need to be some adjustments. I can't wait to get this portion done so I can move to the legs. I can almost see the finish line assembly wise. Still need to purchase the gloves, backpack, pauldron, and blaster. 

• Like 1

My son was visiting for 3 weeks so I hadn't had much time to work on my armor. Been picking away at it last week and this weekend. I ended up trimming down the shim as I made it much bigger than needed once I put my black compression shirt on. 

It's not pretty on the inside but I put some extra abs paste on the edges where the shim support sits. 

If I could start over, I would have used much thinner ABS as the backing because I can't get rid of this small ridge without completing sanding away the ABS paste and completely exposing the seem. I think once I weather it and the belt is over it, it won't be as noticeable.

Spent much of Saturday making snaps. My neighbors love me at this point  :laugh1:

Beginning to finally get this thing together! I think I might add 2 more snaps on the butt to kidney to keep the edges aligned. 

I'm going to get some pictures of it on tonight and I'm sure there will need to be some adjustments. I can't wait to get this portion done so I can move to the legs. I can almost see the finish line assembly wise. Still need to purchase the gloves, backpack, pauldron, and blaster. 

I can totally relate on the delay thing Jason. Between the TK build, family and build parties, I'm longing to get back to work on my TFA. 

Yea I wouldn't sweat the seem too much a good weathering job will cure a great deal of imperfections if there are any. Keep up the good work.

:duim:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice here. I have to shim my thighs and I'm wondering what's the preferred method here. I already made the shim with some thin For Sale sign just so I had a way to glue the back together as seen here:

0438A81B-3385-4450-B622-231BB383AC52.jpg

Now the question I need answering before I proceed is do I make the finishing strip V shaped or do I leave it rectangular like this:

B09CBB55-92DC-4E4D-90A5-1B8B417ED347.jpg

You can faintly see lines drawn if it is recommended cutting it in the V shape. I have already cut off over an inch off the top because I'm only 5'5" and put in the ANH style notches. Plan on cutting the notches out the bottom for better mobility. Might end up trimming more off the rear top so it doesn't poke me in the butt. 

Install inner cover similar to what your are doing but actually use thicker material like cover strip, fill in the any level changes in the plastic with acetone paste or bondo, sand, paint, install outer 20mm cover strip. 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

I had a feeling you were going to say that! Alright, I'm going to the hardware store then to get something a bit stronger than the paper thin For Sale sign I'm using now. I really didn't want to have a tad larger 2" cover strip anyways. 

Well I hauled butt to the local hardware store and got 2 of these signs

A581045E-2365-4379-AE3B-45177A01ADE5.jpg

Thought it was fitting since I have been cigarette free for 2 years thanks to vaping. 

To show the thickness compared to a strip of plastic supplied by MTK (MTK on the left and sign on the right):

B15DEC4E-7BDD-4429-AC14-E49F4DFB362E.jpg

Looks good.

Install inner cover strip, install another layer to bridge the gap between the left and right sides, paste or bondo the seems, sand, paint, center and install outer cover strip. Bam! should be done in 10minutes. JK 

:popcorn:

Ha, I just ran into and came to the same solution as you, tonight. I've got a shim overlapping one edge and then I'll be meeting the butt joint cover strip at the other edge. Can hardly tell its there as is and I have faith that the abs paste will hide any seams that may be visible.

Keep up the good work!

Added some more E600, magnets, and clamps this morning before heading to work. Hopefully it will have cured enough for me to start applying the ABS paste tonight. I have a mason jar of it from shimming my kidney. I have kept all my scraps so I have plenty more material to use if I run out. I think bondo wouuld be easier but I don't want to have to deal with paint matching the MTK. 

First coat of ABS paste was added last night. I have to use quit a bit to get both thighs filled and It's going to take at least 2 to 3 coats on one of the thighs to get it right. A lot more of a PITA than the kidney shims, that's for sure. Had to make extra ABS paste. Good thing I've kept every scrap  :blink:

I had to shorten mine about an inch and a half. While doing so I also did the ANH style notches. Check out Panda's Stickied build thread and he talks about how to do both. The initial cut is on page one and the ANH is referenced later in that build. I tried doing return edges and it looked like crap so I got rid of them all together