Hondutrooper's AM 2.0 Build

hondutrooper

Looking good though you can always use a cotton swab and some thinner (no acetone) to soften the edges a bit.   :D

Thanks for your feedback Tony!

Yes, I'll go back and make the circles sharper.  My overall approach on the build is to try to get the basics done on an initial pass and then take the time to really nail the detail.  For me, I gotta keep building so that I don't lose momentum and get frustrated.  Same reason why I will go back and trim the cover strips on the shins and other pieces I've already completed. 

Question on the thighs. 

I haven't done the outer cover strips yet.  I realized that the front parts are showing different widths - one is about 3cm and the other about 4cm.  Should I make these be equal at 3cm?  I want to check before taking the inner strips off and doing some more trimming to the front.  I used E6000 so it should be doable with a bit of elbow grease.

fcff9d5d-ed4e-4ba7-a777-c22adf39801e_zps

9844e9da-edc2-4569-9bf2-5eedee86db9b_zps

The thighs should be 20mm/2cm wide total. Granted, you can give yourself a bit more room if your legs need, just try to use a 20mm cover strip. 

OK, I think getting my thighs to fit shouldn't be a problem with the 20mm cover strips.  I'll redo it and get it right. Thx. 

Little tip, if you're having a difficult time utilizing space the front thigh return edge doesn't have to be just outside the cover strip width, yes it looks cleaner but a couple MM on each side won't make much of a difference visually. With that said, in the back try to keep the 20mm cover strip width if possible, just evenly allow for more thigh return edge material if needed.

When in doubt, test fit and post some pics before final gluing.

• Like 1

I started on my AM2.0 thighs this past weekend and they are HUGE! Much larger than my MTK both in height and width. I was able to perfectly do 20mm in the front and have more than enough overlap for the rears. Obviously, fit them the best for you and definitely give yourself a few mm on the front if needed. There are a few AM2.0 builds here where guys have needed to do it and it doesn't look bad at all. 

I started on my AM2.0 thighs this past weekend and they are HUGE! Much larger than my MTK both in height and width. I was able to perfectly do 20mm in the front and have more than enough overlap for the rears. Obviously, fit them the best for you and definitely give yourself a few mm on the front if needed. There are a few AM2.0 builds here where guys have needed to do it and it doesn't look bad at all. 

Redid the inside strips for the thighs, no issue fitting into them now...also looks much cleaner.  Haven't done the front strips yet...will post new pics once that's done.

If you're feeling adventurous since you haven't done the front cover strip yet, you should look into doing the ANH style notches on top of the thighs. I have to trim mine height wise so I'll be doing that this weekend. It's not necessary in the least for approval but I like the way it looks.  

Shins are done...velcro in the back, strips in the front.  Not sure if I did this right though...I followed this topic http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28321-sure-fire-am-20-shin-identification/ and put the 45 degree edge on the out side, 20 degree on the inside.  

Does this look correct?

1e49ced6-5bce-4594-b758-44ff366d85e0_zps

87061abc-3177-4b58-bcfe-797698d8954b_zps

f16553a0-bb3d-4ccd-9a57-54ef9660fe1a_zps

If this all seems OK, I will attach the sniper plate on the left shin

ade6ff5e-0389-41f4-9b24-1dee83029192_zps

Trim any cover strip material extending past the edge of the armor,  chamfer any cover edge corners, and I'd personally trim the upper return edge back a bit before it digs a hole in your legs.  :duim:

It's up to the individual Jason, everyone's legs are different.

Install your boots and/or underarmor clothing, walk around for a while, then remove (trim) anything that's chaffing.  

Very nice! Great job.

Have you attempted to glue the shoulder plate down around the corner? I know it's not easy but it would make it look much cleaner. 

So I tried to get the shoulder cover corners closer to the chest plate using a heat gun.  One side came out nice but the other side I think I got it too hot and flattened out some of the ridge detail.  Thoughts?

Good side

6ee4ae59-3958-4a3f-a29c-11a7eb236472_zps

Not so good side

af28c837-f482-442f-9679-58e10b0af8e1_zps

Hey Victor well, um, do you want the good news or the not so good news first? :huh:

Placement is good, could stand to be a couple notches forward however, the melted strip will need to be repaired or replaced. If you don't mind me asking why did you heat it?

Edited by ukswrath

Hey Victor well, um, do you want the good news or the not so good news first? :huh:

Placement is good, could stand to be a couple notches forward however, the melted strip will need to be repaired or replaced. If you don't mind me asking why did you heat it?

I used the heat gun to expedite the process of bending the shoulder cover.  It worked fine on one side but a few extra seconds on the other side melted the plastic.  I figured it would need replacement...all part of the learnings as I go through the build. 

Where can I get replacement shoulder covers...didn't see any on Trooperbay.?

Edited by hondutrooper

I used the heat gun to expedite the process of bending the shoulder cover.  It worked fine on one side but a few extra seconds on the other side melted the plastic.  I figured it would need replacement...all part of the learnings as I go through the build. 

Where can I get replacement shoulder covers...didn't see any on Trooperbay.?

Yea not the first time I melted plastic accident. Lessons learned.

I'd contact the armor mfg for another set

Here's my first time wearing most of the pieces together.  Forgot to put the arms on ;(  Missing the belt and holster (ordered from Trooperbay), TD, and boots (TK boots requested but not in stock)

Please provide feedback on my progress so I can continue to work on improvements.

Does the length of the chest and ab plates look right?  Cod piece is obviously not hanging right, will need to adjust the strapping.  

The shoulder bells and biceps were attached with black 1" webbing - should this be elastic instead for better mobility?

Shoulder bell length look OK?

3ad36156-6dc3-4e97-9c6e-63cc5f420145_zps

Should I shorten the thighs and/or cod piece?  Note that the thighs are missing the front cover strips which I will install once I have a better fit.

31889125-a48f-4dc9-a3ee-8587ed332c42_zps

Does this make my butt look big? ;)  Do I need to trim a bit from kidney or butt plate?

43203ed8-18fc-41fc-bf00-fb31f2f3bec7_zps

d5d5e649-a4cb-45e5-afb6-ddca5824994f_zps

Side view.  I need to trim the midsection - do I trim from the ab plate or from the kidney plate?

Shoulder bell length look OK?

b38a60a5-aaa2-4f19-835d-ebccbd40538a_zps