ATA/Shim/22mm notch

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I need to shim my kidneys. Do I 22mm notch the original kidney and then shim the rest of the kidney to the ab, or do I shim the whole kidney to the ab and then notch on the shim? I'm sure it will make sense to me when I hear the answer, but I think I may have hit research overload right now.

It just came to me.. I need to notch the shim. Because if I notch the kidney, then shim it, it will be a 22mm x more than 22mm and not the 22mm x 22mm I'm looking for.

Correct? Someone please advise.

Edited by Coastertk

From the CRL:

For level three certification (if applicable):

Squared cut-out sections at the lower left and right corners of the Kidney Armor.

The cut out is roughly 22 mm tall from the bottom and 22 mm in from the side.

No mention of shims. The shim is just an extension of the kidney. That's why the seam must not be visible. To make it look like one piece. So then the 22mm notch should come out of the shim, after extending the whole kidney. Right?

You could do that. Depending on how wide your shim needs to be you could also just use a shorter shim and align it with the top to get the cut out at the bottom.