TIP: small pad mic tutorial - less feedback

There have been loads of posts on the UKG boards lately all realting to feedback in helmet or even chest mounted soltions for TKs etc.

I believe the main cause is the hollow cased mics that are very sensitive so more susceptible to feedback issues.

I always use the small piezo-electric pad type mics, known as ultraminiature mics. (maplin part no S63 5DL)

6HtX0xT.jpg

What you will need:-

W7k3LgJ.jpg

heatshrink

pad mic

3.5mm phono/stereo plug

red/black wire

large 13mm heatshrink

pipe cleaner

the mic

Fhdh7y9.jpg

LYLluis.jpg

Solder 2 cables on the back and leave about 0.5m of cable

Tkmb6QV.jpg

tidy up with heathsrink if needed

YaMBF1S.jpg

Grab your wire pipe cleaner and insert into middle

jZanc27.jpg

use a sheath of larger heatshrink to encapsulate all parts as shown

mLl5XV3.jpg

heat up with haridryer to make it all look like this

CJpPegm.jpg

(the pipe cleaner is there to help you position the mic pad inside your lid close to your mouth as desired.

Solder the 3.5mm plug on the other end and away you go :)

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...
Is that an omni-directional mic? We have something similar here in the states at Radio Shack, but it's an omni, and I'm not sure how well that'll work.

No. Omnidirectional has to do with what direction a microphone will pick up sounds from, and omidirectional will pick up everything around it. Theres a nice chart on wikipedia that shows the different microphone pickup styles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

Now that microphone he's using might be an omni but that I wouldn't know.

Is that an omni-directional mic? We have something similar here in the states at Radio Shack, but it's an omni, and I'm not sure how well that'll work.

Thats a great set up!

I looked those mics up and they are omni-directional and they are cased very well.

They only cost $5 so I ordered a couple. I'll try anything to get rid of feedback.

I have the powered radioshack mic and a skullworx kit with Stompers Hovi's and speakers and I get alot of feedback with the radioshack mic.

Curtis :D

It depends on the range of those mics and since they are tiny you might luck out, but Omnis are baaaaaaaaad choices if you have the speakers in your helmet as I will almost guarantee you'll end up with feedback because the pickup area will very likely cross with your speakers and create the feedback.