JC's ROTJ Build

After looking at other build threads I decided to go with CFO's ROTJ Armour. Helmet first which arrived on the 23rd, so after work I got on with it.

temporary_zps89ba7480.jpg

It cut out pretty quick and I left the sides gluing over night. (That's a magnet not a screw/rivet)

temporary_zps1be0d11e.jpg

This is where I'm at so far. Mark from CFO has been good answering any build questions :)

Took a while to do the "ear" bits sanding down with my dremel.

Not sure if the size of the frown holes matter? I cut them how I think look nice, but have seen them quite big.

I have trimmed a fraction more off the eyes since this pic, but only v slightly and installed (but not glued) the neck trim.

Just need to pop to the model shop over the weekend and pickup some paint.

0e1945f4c86e57f15bf547c1528c594c_zps51af

46c24d493346119c5c5cc13dd92c52f9_zps77b9

• Like 1

Looks like your off to a good start.

Hard to see the details on my phones small pics. I'll have another look when I get home from the xmas visits.

The eyes look great if you really cut them out quite a bit. Look at the pics I sent you or log into Starwarshelmets Com and check out Jez's pics he took for my latest review. They are spot on.

You can also reinforce the mic tips at the back with a bit of cloth soaked in super glue.

Looks like your off to a good start.

Hard to see the details on my phones small pics. I'll have another look when I get home from the xmas visits.

The eyes look great if you really cut them out quite a bit. Look at the pics I sent you or log into Starwarshelmets Com and check out Jez's pics he took for my latest review. They are spot on.

You can also reinforce the mic tips at the back with a bit of cloth soaked in super glue.

Helmet exterior done! Cut more out of the frown too.

Real pleased with it now, painting the frown and vocoder really made it. :D

Got to add some mesh behind the frown and add padding inside so it's wareable. Need to research some padding options next

23e98f76fd2d0c3d53843e45e3d17136_zpsba0d

5dd5249a5392a946450924f4746f8980_zps3b02

:laugh1:

I was going to say the ears could do with trimming a lot thinner but as you'd already glued them I didn't want to upset you.

If you haven't glued the brow trim on you could always trim it a bit.

Edited by sskunky

I guess youre always wary of taking too much off to start with.

I looked at loads of pics and the ears varied a lot so as soon as I got them to fit nicely I stopped really.

The brow isn't glued on so might trim it a little. Going to leave it for now and see how I feel once the rest is built.

• 3 weeks later...

Think this thread might be in the wrong section if any of the mods want to move it? :)

Looks like my armour is getting formed on Tuesday so shouldn't be long before I get cracking on with the build.

Already got cutting tools and clamps, sanders, dremel ect, but how many tubes of E6000 will I need?

And do I need any other glue?

Need to remember to buy a rivet gun as well. That's one of the few things I don't seem to have.

I think I used about a tube and a half of e6000 on my build...but I was quite generous with it in some areas! It was the only glue I used in the entire build. My dining room still has a faint aroma about it,..two years later!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rest of the arm parts trimmed tonight, as well as the lower legs and shoulder straps.
and currently have the forearms clamped and gluing down one edge... so some OK progress.

unfortunately I'm not sure if the biceps and forearms are going to fit very well. I guess years of windsurfing and kitebuggying have given me bigger arms than I thought!? 
I think it'll be easier to tell once the first edge is glued.

A lot of the edges seem to have a bit of a sort of double step in them (see pic). 
I guess I'm supposed to cut the 1st one off, but I'd say at the moment there is a chance of it fitting if I leave it on.

Does that matter?

this is a bicep part, but it's the same on the forearms as well. 

WP_002128_zpskb1plsw7.jpg

and finally.. the joint edges of the leg sections have quite an upward curve on them. rather than cutting them back until it's straight and them maybe needing to shim, is there an easy way to straighten them out to just give me more material to start with?

I did test a hair dryer out on some of the offcuts and although it did get it hot enough to straighten out really sharp curves, it was hard to control and keep it even.