How adjustable is already built armour?

Hello everyone,

This is probably the first of many questions so lets get going.

I'd like to know how much adjustment there would be in an already built suit (if any)?

If I was to buy a suit already built from someone the same height as me but different wieght is it possible to adjust the suit for a slimmer build or will I be rattling around in there like a pea in a matchbox?

I'm not talking huge differences but I am slim, some would say wiry and I wouldn't want arms and legs to be slipping around.

All info is welcome :-)

Cheers,

Nic

It is hard to say exactly, to be honest. Some of the fitting certainly comes from the internal strapping system that you use to hold everything together. But the fit depends in large part on how the armor pieces fit together. For example, the shins, thighs, forearms and biceps are all rigid pieces after construction that you slide your arms/legs into. No amount of strapping adjustment will prevent a large arm or leg piece from being to large. You can pad them out with foam to a certain extent, but if you need too much padding, it may not look right. Now, depending on how the armor was constructed, you may be able to un-glue the pieces, cut them down to your size, and then re-glue them. So it all boils down to how big the size difference is, what kit was used, and how the armor was assembled.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I needed to know.

It is the rigid arms and legs that I need to get dimensions of for a better idea.

Cheers

Going smaller is always possible. Especially if they used a glue that is removable. Going bigger is harder generally speaking since you will need to add shims in most cases.

Smaller is easy. You remove the coverstrips, slice the material smaller on each side (careful not too much) and put it back together.