ANH Stunt - Rear Traps Question

Khazid

I am still quite a ways off from starting my build (July 2015), but I have started the hunting and gathering process for my ATA build. I am a planner and am laying out what I would like to put in my bucket for electronics. I am already planning on a fan kit to help with circulation, but would like to put some "exhaust" vents powered by small fans. I am considering putting very small slits within the painted stripes on the rear fans to disguise these vents, then covering the inside with frown mesh to further hide them from view. This is not an original idea as I saw it on a build thread in all the reading I've been doing since signing up.

My question is this though, I would also like to shoot for centurion status. Will those small slits in the back of the helmet be a cause for concern on that application?

Any advice is welcomed.

Edited by Khazid

Thank you for the quick reply Gazmosis, shouldn't be a problem to go back and do that. I was going to make the slits prior to painting on the stripes so that the black would seep into the gaps.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind, the more fans you install the more noise. It helps to engineer insulated mounts out of rubber or foam to keep the vibration off the surface of the bucket.

One of the best things I've seen to increase air flow in a helmet is to install the eye lens so it stands off the helmet internally and provides air flow through the eyes. You absolutely can't tell it's there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the advice. I had overlooked the foam "dampeners" to cut down on vibration to the helmet. Making that note for my design process. My plan is to use standard pc fan filter plates to cover the intakes to prevent hair from being pulled in.

I'm sorry you feel it is a waste of time ABS80. However, the frown holes are right at the installation site of the "intake" blowers, so using that same space for a neutral exhaust is normally not efficient for air flow. The bottom of the helmet is something I had not fully considered, but the intakes just will not move enough pressure to move anything significant through that area as it is also neutral, meaning nothing pushing the air out that way. My thoughts for very small profile (5mm x 20mm evercool) fans is to generate a flow that moves from front to back across the top of the head, creating a small flow of air that should help in regulating both the internal temperature in the bucket, along with promoting perspiration. Is that over engineering? Probably. Is it a waste of time? Maybe for some, but for me that challenge to stay as cool as possible is one I want to take on.

• Like 1