Mjrose927 ANH FX build...yes FX

mjrose927

I decided that I should start a build thread to document what I have been doing and keep all my build pics and questions in one thread.

As the subject suggests, yes, this is a FX build and this is not an old thread.  For those who haven't seen my other posts, I bought this suit back in 2005.  I started doing a few things on my kit at the time and then life and some hardships got in the way.  Now I am re-energized to get this thing done.

In the last few weeks I have been painstakingly building the arm pieces. I am working on the forearms and the biceps.  I have been fitting, measuring, tweaking, rinse and repeat.  I am 5'8" and about 180 pounds so I have been trying to get the pieces to fit comfortably.  After attending a trooping event at the Clawson Library, a couple members let me inspect their armor up close (thanks Mayhem and Derek).  So, I made the following tweaks:

On FX forearms on the inside half, the armor curves back toward the arm muscle as you get closer to the elbow.  

CJG6VT0.jpg

Forearm tight on the widest part of my arm, so I cut the scoop back at the peak to remove the curve back to arm.

XmgZxLb.jpg

Before and after:

mk9W9hZ.jpg

The next thing I did was shorten the length of the forearm about 1/4 inch.  I did not remove any of the features on the arm.  I made the dimension from the last indention the same at both ends of forearm.

P0tT6LJ.jpg

This past week I have been working on the biceps.  I forgot to take pictures of those yesterday.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take before pictures so I will only be able to show the result of what I did.

Thanks to all the troopers in the Clawson, MI area that was at the Star Wars Rebels event this past Saturday.  I appreciate you guys there letting me ask questions and inspect your armor up close and personal after the event.  Special thanks to Mike in TK who answer most of my questions that day!  What a great birthday present to be able to surround myself with so much Star Wars!!!

NOTE:  Hardest part of this whole thing so far is putting the first time putting the blade to a piece of armor and committing to a cut.  Subsequent cuts not that bad.  Watch that first step.  It's a Looloo.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

On Sunday, I was cutting cover strips for my bicep pieces.  Yes, I realize that FX is normally an overlap assembly.  I want to use cover strips because it will give me about 1/4-1/2 inch more circumference so I can use the normal coverstrip width in the back or minimize how wide it has to be.  The second reason is it give me more practice building the armor for the next set when I get more accurate set.

My question is:  What is best way to cut the coverstrips?  I have some large pieces of ABS that came with my kit that were supposed to be used for the belt.  For the first pair of coverstrips I cut, I scored the ABS with a carpet knife and then snapped the plastic.  This gives me a nice straight edge.  The draw back is that there is a slight raised lip where the plastic was scored and snapped on the opposite side.  It was a pain but I was able to take some very fine sandpaper and buff off the lip.  Is this normal?  Is there a better method to cut the coverstrips?  I know me if I attempt to use scissors, I don't think I will cut a nice straight line.

Am I using the wrong tool to score?  Is there a better method or tool to cut with?

Thanks in advance.

Everything you are experiencing is normal when using a razor knife in ABS. I am glad you noticed this raised area! If it is not removed, the cover strip will have a problem fully contacting the surface. YOu can either remove it with the sandpaper or with the edge of the razor knife blade, Just hold it perpendicular to the edge and run it down.

Well, last night I glued the front side of both biceps together.  I will say to all newbies doing this for the first time, I highly recommend using E-6000.  I had to re-glue them twice.  The first time I mislabeled the halves.  The second time I accidentally glued the left sides upside down.  I will not make those mistakes again, but so highly recommend the E6000.  Here are a couple pictures of them drying clamped together:

naK0Oos.jpgi520Rob.jpg

I bought the 1/2" x 1/16" magnets because I got a good deal on 100 of them.  I have already cracked 3 of them last night.  They are more powerful than their durability.  i will be looking at getting the 3/4" x 1/8" ones to use for leg armor.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Looks great so far, I give you kudos for doing an FX.. That was my first suit when I didn't realize all the nuances that are in a more accurate suit.

I made mine fit well and I sold it later during Halloween time for $1400. Lol!

Anyways keep it up.

I am doing my best.  I have given up on the idea of getting this done by Halloween.  I am going to take my time to do it best way I can to make it look as good as I can.  

Below is picture of one of my becep pieces with the butt joint on the front.  Issue I am having with both biceps is the shape.  The oval shape is 90 degrees off.  The short side of the bicep is front to back of my body instead of inside to outside of arm.  I would like to reshape this to fit and look better.  Has anyone else had this issue with FX or any other kit?  I don't think it was because of any weird assembly I did.  Any thoughts?  I was trying to find links for heating parts to resahpe them.  i am very nervous about this because I don't want to deform them, just reshape.  Appreciate any input.

cRTxmA5.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

Ok.  Slowly getting all the front joints glued together.  I came to the realization yesterday that I do not have enough ABS sheets to put my armor together.  The FX armor came with 4 4inX18in (approximately) sheets of 1/16th inch of ABS.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look or what to use to find same thickness and where at least one side is glossy like my armor?  I just started looking online but I am not seeing sheet with the smooth glossy surfaces.  I even went as far to try to contact the person that I got my FX from, but the email is dead.  Suggestions?  Advice?  Please!

Thanks,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

It has been some time since I posted.  

Here are my initial completed biceps.  This is what an FX armor kit looks like with butt joints

4JLLZ07.jpg

The issue I have to fix at some point with a heat source of some kind is the shape of them.  They are oblong in the wrong direction.

CO2kgyp.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 4 years later...

Ok.... it has been a while.  I am determined to have from the neck down completed to wear by Detroit Motor City Comic con May 17-19.  I was chatting with a some members on the FISD facebook site, but it occurred to me I should come back to the forums....  So, here I am back again, but this time bound and determined.

I know I can't submit with FX bucket, but I would at least like to be able to wear what I have done and get live feedback from the pros.  Since my last post, I have started on my calves.  I had to trim these down about 1/4in.  To maintain the original armor shape at bottom, I used painting tape to make a template and move the whole edge up the leg and trim from there.  Here are pics after I completed trimming.  This gives me clearance between top of armor and bottom of knee cap.  It may need to be trimmed some more, but I want to wear as is before cutting any more.

I plan to use a 20mm cover strip on the front and a 25mm on the back.  I understand that I do not need to use this method, but I want the practice for future suit upgrade.

52JYwT0.jpgHwCPzML.jpg7PNm6Ki.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

I am ready to get my torso pieces fit and assembled.  Here are some pictures of pieces on me.  I am looking for the following:
1. Is the top of the ab plate supposed to align to top of the kidney plate?
2. I have seen some build videos where the back plate ends at the top of the kidney plate.  Is this the case?  If so, what do I need to do?
3. Item 2 kind of plays into next question, that the kidney plate looks tall?  Is it sitting at correct height?  
4. Where should the top of the butt plate rest with respect to my body?  the bottom of my back? where top of typical pair of pants sit?  It looks like it slipped down a little during picture taking in a couple shots.
5. Do i need to reshape the O II back plate?  it seems to curve in at 45 degrees when it wraps around to front of body at bottom?
6. I feel like the front breast plate is obtuse or flat.  Should I shape it to be more form fitting?  Or should I wait to do any shaping until after I have it together.

VD5Td3m.jpgEvU12e4.jpgdz5EKAe.jpgTYixDQK.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hi Michael,

Yes, the ab and kidney should line up at the top.  Also, the kidney should ideally butt up against the back piece with no overlap (so, yeah, it is high) - although I do not believe this is a requirement for basic approval (as per the CRL).  For basic approval, you will need to separate your butt plate from your kidney plate. 

It does look like the butt plate has slipped down a bit in the pictures.  You want to keep your cod and butt plates high as possible (i.e. comfortable) so they are not in the way of the thigh pieces. 

I wouldn't worry about reshaping the chest piece or the back quite yet from what I can see. 

Check out some of the images in the original trilogy image reference gallery.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

or some of the Centurion applications for the ideal look of the armor.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/72-request-centurion-status/

Hope that helps.  Good luck.