The white crayon and the Doopys scope

Scotty71

Could someone talk me through or point me to a thread which talks you through whitening the letters on the Doopys scope with the white crayon please? By some miracle I've managed to construct a rather cool looking Doopys E-11 and would like to whiten my scope letters without making a dogs backside of it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Scotty

The crayon thing is easier than you think.

Once you have painted your scope, and it has dried sufficiently, simply get your crayon and rub it over the lettering, don't be afraid to use some pressure as you want it right into the groves.

Next you can take clean rag and start whipping the excess off, wiping to the end of the scope. You can also use a sharp craft knife to lightly scrape off excess crayon.

For even more realism, and that warn used look, take your knife tip and dig a little of the crayon out carefully so some of the letters are not quite complete.

Trust me, it's not hard, just take your time, and you will nail it.

Good luck with your build

You can also heat the crayon in a small vessel and drip it into the lettering. It will get into all the little crevices and cool instantly. I wouldn;t use a knife to scrap it. you might hit your paint and scratch it. I used a credit card or similar material to GENTLYscrape at the CRAYON ONLY. If you scrape too much too quickly, you may very well pull it all out of the lettering. Once you have sheered off enough of the crayon, you can polish the rest off with a t-shirt and some pressure. I like Andy's idea of leaving a little out for weathering and realism/

Yes it will. Because the crayon is wax, a damp cloth will not have an effect. Just some firm pressure on the cloth will do the trick. Unless you go at the wax with something sharp,and scratch your scope, it's really hard to mess this up.

If for any reason you needed to remove the crayon I find a release agent like WD40 or AC90 works perfect, discovered this when I had to remove the kids crayon marks from the walls in the house, lol