Fuumantroop's AM armor build

Just arrived! Obligatory big brown box photo with more pics to come!

CDBC553B-E3A1-4AF1-83C3-334BBE69F480.jpg

I will try to be as thorough as possible with this build as time permits. So excited my first build is about to happen!

• Like 1

Dude!!   Enjoy it.  ;)  Very rewarding - even though you'll likely encounter the odd bit of frustration here and there.  Also, don't forget that sewing machine needles are only supposed to be installed ONE WAY.  LoL

Lol luckily, and at the same time unfortunately, i dont own a sewing machine. I MAY start with the helmet, but the ears scare the crap outta me. The eyes come fully trimmed though!

If you notice the ears, it looks like they are already pre-trimmed and theres a notch at the top of them that seem to fit where the face meets the back of the helmet.  I don't want to jinx myself but I think its going to be easier than we think as newbies.

I think your right, from what I read there has been a lot of problems with the ears and helmet in the past.  It looks like they took their time to get the new ones right and help out with the trimming.

Ok guys, haven't been able to do much besides test fitting the helmet together with some painters tape. I have been busy getting our house guest appropriate and getting wedding things situated, so basically life lol.

Is it best to paint the inside of the helmet black BEFORE I begin to piece it together?

Painting inside the helmet is 100% preference.  I didn't paint the inside of mine.  I would think that it would be easier to paint inside the helmet before piecing it together, otherwise you're having to get the paint literally inside your helmet.  If you do it when it's still in pieces, you have more control on where the paint is going.

• Like 1

Well I was finally able to make progress now that the house is mostly together

I went straight to the helmet, not for the sake of doing it, but for the sake of my wedding photos! And my fiance is completely game for it!

We are having a suprise made, and will tie in with my helmet build(photos to come when suprise arrives!)

ANYWAYS, back to the helmet build

After test fitting everything, I decided to glue the cap and back first and foremost. I decided to go with Zap A Gap, since I am more than confident the placement was spot on.

0B02B8C5-8BC4-44E2-9B52-2776EAD69F05.jpg

93574D41-A34C-4D55-BC92-06B8E14B0FB4.jpg

220521AA-0C3A-425D-BB5C-2A6FA5702922.jpg

Then went ahead and added the rubber trim, and screwed the helmet together using the pre made dimples

EA8F4795-ABEC-4F8A-AF33-500E1396A58C.jpg

I drilled holes in the teeth, and did some filing to get this. How does it look? More filing needed?

5321061E-A192-406C-B444-7BF903389086.jpg

60FE387D-2B1D-4D72-BD81-57205FAFB9F1.jpg

73F492A0-1DF8-44F0-9126-9904211A5C07.jpg

Thats all I had time for tonight, i pieced the shins together and taped them so I don't get confused when it is time to fit and trim those, pics will be up of that tomorrow.

Questions, comments, concerns? I think it came out great, but what say you FISD?

Yeah, teeth look great Andrew!  I probably spent at least 10 hours filing those damn teeth.  What you'll find is you file them, and you think, "I could file them some more", then you file them some more and think, "I could probably file them a little more," then you have to make yourself stop.  :)  Once you paint the frown grey, you'll say:  "Wow!  I didn't realize the holes were that big!"  It's a good thing to have that thought.  :)

Thanks Rick and Ron!

Ron, I did have to stop myself lol, I think I am going to attack the ears today after work, and perhaps add the hand painted decals. I do have to kind of fit my head into the bucket somewhat sideways to get it on as well, is this true with most of these helmets?

I actually went ahead and ordered another AM 2.0 bucket, either as a display, or ESB, or as a backup, as I am thinking of going TD at some point.

Question for everyone, I was looking at using some solar panel patio screens for the frown. Am I better off finding something else?

I do have to kind of fit my head into the bucket somewhat sideways to get it on as well, is this true with most of these helmets?

This particular activity is absolutely normal. Looking good so far!

The dark green lens with the kit is quite thin. I also ended up going with screen of the mouth/teeth. I got a much better lens and screen from trooperbay. I also got a second helmet kit......same as you for a possible TD build after the TK. The left ear is a bear so be patient! Right ear is a breeze!

This particular activity is absolutely normal. Looking good so far!

Awesome, then I can totally live with that lol.

The dark green lens with the kit is quite thin. I also ended up going with screen of the mouth/teeth. I got a much better lens and screen from trooperbay. I also got a second helmet kit......same as you for a possible TD build after the TK. The left ear is a bear so be patient! Right ear is a breeze!

I won't be using the lens material provided with the helmet, I bought darker lenses from Tk-1422 member here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/2869-flat-green-or-smoke-tk-lens-run/

Still fiddling around to see how to mount them. I would like to make them removable, and have seen another member use dowels to secure them in place.

Would solar screens be sufficient for the lid, or am I better of just going with FISD or trooperbay

Edited by fuumantroop

I got a face shield on e-bay for cheaper and I did 3 buckets.

Looking good so far. I saw you mention zap a gap....even when you think you have something correct, an adjustment may still be needed later on down the road so something like e6000 is recommended....forgive me if you already know that.

Best of luck in your build. Will continue to watch.

I bought an extra bucket from AM just in case of emergencies, plus the face that came with mine was scratched pretty badly by the eye.

Here is the progress I made so far, attached the ears with a LOT of frustration, as the dimples do not align correctly. I will need to whip up some ABS paste to cover one slightly visible hole the left ear couldn't cover up. Also installed the s trim.

How does this look?

D785BF08-3CA7-4D82-AF9C-3B2FD5A61F69.jpg

I also mentioned that I chose the helmet first specifically for the sake of my wedding photos. Here is the reason why I need it :)

5FAE5A8A-1866-4985-BF99-EB3476614A62.jpg

These are kokeshi dolls, I had these specific two custom made from the kokeshi clan as my wedding cake topper. It is the exact clothing myself and my fiancé will be wearing. Thought it would be cool to have a matching wedding photo to go with these, which is the ONLY reason i began my build with the bucket lol.

And yes I will be using e6k on my build, and on my next bucket for sure! I was convinced the cap and back were aligned perfectly, so I got a little bit brave lol

Bucket looks great! Never seen them before but cool looking kokeshi dolls and great idea to have them match your clothing. Always learning about something new here lol.

Congrats and many happy years to you and your fiancé!!

• Like 1

I bought an extra bucket from AM just in case of emergencies, plus the face that came with mine was scratched pretty badly by the eye.

Here is the progress I made so far, attached the ears with a LOT of frustration, as the dimples do not align correctly. I will need to whip up some ABS paste to cover one slightly visible hole the left ear couldn't cover up. Also installed the s trim.

How does this look?

D785BF08-3CA7-4D82-AF9C-3B2FD5A61F69.jpg

With the way the brow trim dips a bit in the middle, the helmet looks sad.   :(

Bucket looks great! Never seen them before but cool looking kokeshi dolls and great idea to have them match your clothing. Always learning about something new here lol.

Congrats and many happy years to you and your fiancé!!

Thank you Steve! Ive got one week to get it all ready to go, but feel the hardest part is now behind me lol.

Time to make me some abs paste