Return eFX for ATA DIY?

Got my first bucket the other day, an ANH TK from eFX. The ATA guy says he has helmet DIY kits on hand and for $30 less than the eFX. I'm new to building but I feel like I should return the eFX and get an ATA. Right? I plan to get armor some day (he's up to a 7 month wait list now) so another question is do other ABS armors match ATA's "special blend"? I just wanna end up with a great-looking suit and I know the eFX can't be level III approved. Thanks!

I've modded my own eFX and I can tell you it's not really worth it. It only took my first unofficial outing to realize there are helmets that look so much better. You would do well to sell or return your eFX helmet. The ATA, being cheaper, is much more accurate and can be approved at the highest level. 

Just be sure to do your research, look at other peoples' builds, and log your progress so we can offer advice if it's needed.

do other ABS armors match ATA's "special blend"?

If there's any difference at all, which there can be if you mix and match stuff from different vendors, I would think it's very subtle. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

Edited by Shel'la Tracinya

Lots of armor are close matches to ATA and quicker to get to your door. Such as MTK, CAP-W, RS, TM, and AP. I highly recommend replacing the EFX for a screen accurate helmet like ATA.

Different makers always bear the danger of color differences. But mostly these differences are very slight and are only recognized by the trained eye.

I have an ATA bucket and an MTK kit. They work great! In my opinion the helmet can really make the difference so that's the last place to cut a corner. Also, don't sweat minor color differences. Each builder will have slight shade and shine differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I m definitely a NooB here but my first adult sized bucket was an ATA kit and it was a fantastic experience building and purchasing it. I learned so much from the process and if you're the type of guy that likes doing things yourself I found this vey easy and rewarding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an ATA bucket and an MTK kit. They work great! In my opinion the helmet can really make the difference so that's the last place to cut a corner. Also, don't sweat minor color differences. Each builder will have slight shade and shine differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bucket makes all the diffrence IMO. Which bucket will you notice first: a nice TM or a butt ugly FX? Sadly the ugly one first. The bucket make the whole diffrence in you kit. My old FX kit looks better just because of my AP helmet (again IMO).

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk