Starsaber25s Walt80 Helmet Build

Hey all.  This is my first build of any kind.  I have my MTK sitting in the box waiting for me to get done with my son's helmet.  I move very slow when it comes to these side projects because of work, family and having two kids under 6.  As most of you know, spare time is limited.  Anyway I have had this helmet for about a month and a half so far and there is where I am right now.  I just wanted to get some feedback and any suggestions of things that need improvement.  Everything is hand painted and I will probably end up using the tube stripe stickers that Walt supplied.

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9486.jpg

I tried to remember that this is for a 5 year old and not to get too frustrated when I messed up.  Well thats it for now.  I will be going away for the next 10 days tomorrow so this and my MTK will have to wait longer now.

Also, Walt if you read this, should I cut more off of the bottom of the cap n back?

IMG_9492.jpg

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.  After a little break, I started back up on my sons helmet.  His birthday is June 30th so that is the deadline.  It needs to be done!  After spending two days trying to get the ears right, here are the pictures.  I went through two sets and I think these are the best two.  Please let me know what anyone thinks.  Also if you have any comment on the paint job that would be great as well.  Thanks

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9508.jpg

IMG_9509.jpg

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

I know its not too great but I kept reminding myself that this was for a 6 year old and it doesn't need to be perfect.  But man these ears are a super pain!

Thanks for looking.

Glad to see the same right wear look as mine where it looks pinched in compared to left side.

Be sure to paint screws white on the ears.

On your front traps. You should not have an angled or curved black line and grey near he brow trim. I believe it should come straight across only parallel to brow line.

Thanks Charles for looking and sending me those pics in the beginning.  Yeah those ears were really tricky and I don't ever think you could get them perfect.  The left ear is what it is.  The other spare is lost beyond repair.  I could still fix up the spare right one at some point and have it fit probably even better then the one thats on there.  But we will see.

Ok so here are the final pictures for now.  I made my deadline for his birthday yesterday.  He was really excited and loved it.  I can see from the pictures that there are still some things that I need to fix or finetune but its pretty good for right now. 

IMG_9515.jpg

Next to my awesome TM

IMG_95231.jpg