Helmet problems...

Hello everyone. 

I've been doing some work on my TK helmet and I've hit a big problem. I have trimmed and fitted the ears so they sit flush at the top but there are huge gaps at the bottom. While trying to screw the bottoms in to help it close the gap I noticed some stress cracks. I have added extra plastic and cotton material bathed in zap-a-gap to help strengthen it and to try and prevent more from forming but now a bit stuck with how to go about sorting it. 

I've go ten everything painted and assembled (except details the ears)

6ZqMdyI.jpg

fTliYrO.jpg

pUHUeRo.jpg

HWEId2L.jpg

JWkoAIf.jpg

uCgcHXp.jpg

4xmA1ga.jpg

lKG0wlA.jpg

tKnKVnd.jpg

YIKES!  I would try very carefully thinning down the top portion of the ear, with a slight bias toward the bottom half of the circular section.  I'm talking SLIGHT bias too - don't make them look like ear wedges.  This will help bring the bottom part of the ear closer to the cheek tube.  Don't trim/sand anything outside of the circular portion until you get the bottom to sit flush.  Fortunately, it looks like you've got enough material left on both ears to make this work.

Is there any ability to tighten the bottom screws a little bit?  That would achieve the same thing that Aaron was recommending, but that would likely only give you a very slight correction, IF there is any room to tighten them without cracking any more plastic.

Looking at it, I think that the responders above are probably on point.  There is enough plastic in the bottoms to support a bit of sanding on the ear discs to pull the bottom closer.

I also know how entirely nerve-wracking those ears can be.  All I've built armor-wise so far is a bucket, and the ears made me insane.  Hang in there, take a deep breath before you do anything else.  You've done a good job on that bucket so far, you've got this!

Edited by Dark CMF

YIKES!  I would try very carefully thinning down the top portion of the ear, with a slight bias toward the bottom half of the circular section.  I'm talking SLIGHT bias too - don't make them look like ear wedges.  This will help bring the bottom part of the ear closer to the cheek tube.  Don't trim/sand anything outside of the circular portion until you get the bottom to sit flush.  Fortunately, it looks like you've got enough material left on both ears to make this work.

yeah thin out the disc part at the top or get a heatgun and carefully bend the bottoms closer to the tubes

The bottom screws will bring the ears in a little too.  Not all the way, but some.

Is there any ability to tighten the bottom screws a little bit?  That would achieve the same thing that Aaron was recommending, but that would likely only give you a very slight correction, IF there is any room to tighten them without cracking any more plastic.

Looking at it, I think that the responders above are probably on point.  There is enough plastic in the bottoms to support a bit of sanding on the ear discs to pull the bottom closer.

I also know how entirely nerve-wracking those ears can be.  All I've built armor-wise so far is a bucket, and the ears made me insane.  Hang in there, take a deep breath before you do anything else.  You've done a good job on that bucket so far, you've got this!

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. Its been driving me insane. I shall try out your advice and keep everyone up dated. 

Thanks again  :duim: