Another DD Resin E-11 Kit

Finally got time and enough stuff cleared out to start a new project. Now I can finally start working on it, here we go!

Started first on the main receiver tube/body, as I am going for a lot of nit-picky detail, not neccissarily cannon, but things like realistic textures, details, and coloring.

qx8l1c.jpg

The ejection port had kind of a wonky shadow that needed cleaning

9lk01i.jpg

Solved that real quick with some cheap pewter jewelry files from the local craft store.

30bmdlk.jpg

After working out small surface flaws with 550 grit, and smoothing out the rougher parts with 800 grit it got a couple coats of body filler primer

29ne450.jpg

Primer completed, wet sanded with 1000 grit and 1500 grit sand paper

28wnh2b.jpg

GAAHHHH ugly resin gapsssssss!!!! Break out the milliput!

2h6t82d.jpg

So this is where I'm going out on a limb, masking for experimental paint idea

ay8to6.jpg

I found this Martha Stuart metallic paint at Home Depot, the color is called thunder cloud, and cheap .99 cent sponge craft brushes

wa0i2o.jpg

So my experimental idea was to use a gun metal/steel colored paint with little to no shine, and build up layers of textured paint to mimic the porous surface of steel, and help create the base for the infamous "sterling wrinkle finish"

2i1jwhy.jpg

Close up of some of the detail made by layering the sponged paint ontop of each other

2rhr3g0.jpg

Full coating

dbi9tt.jpg

Indoor lighting after 2 coats of matte clear to dull down the reflectiveness

339lkrs.jpg

Conducted an experiment with a spare doopys bolt face, layered the steel, then sprayed a quick coat of black then went over it with steel wool, thoughts?

Gonna be a little challenging to glue your exterior parts over the paint finish, though

This entire situation is already being kicked around inside of my melon, for the next time I decide to embark on a Doopy build. I've got to do some INSANE masking on mine in the next week or so. LoL

Looking good, Zach!!

Same here. I enjoyed prepainting my magazine/reciever, handle, and scope but now I have to glue them, puty the seems, and mask them before I can spray paint the rest of the gun. Order of operation is important I guess.

Your build is looking great by the way!

• 1 month later...

Getting back to work on the DD E-11 now that I'm waiting on a fancy new scope rail counter combo to arrive from the fabrication master Aaron, so I figured I'd update while I'm waiting on paint to dry.

I really wanted to get a realistic deep looking metal finish as the base coat before the flat black painting would begin. Picked up more Rustoleum flat antique nickel & soft iron spray paint and 500 & 1000 grit wet sandpaper. First, I went back and sanded out all of the silver textured base layer I experimented with in my previous post, then layed down 2 coats of the antique nickel sealed with a coat of matte clear after every coat of nickel. Did the same for the soft iron as well. After fully curing, I spent what felt like an eternity wet sanding the higher areas, and this is what I ended up with!

Barell vents

e7nx2b.jpg

Bayonette lug flat area

aeqm2r.jpg

Magazine well

34zf0v9.jpg

iyzjes.jpg

Sight rail hole

jl6iz5.jpg

Charging handle channel

2jb1bft.jpg

Check back later! More on the way!

seems to be an epic build so far sir!  hopefully your up and running by the time i need a blaster lol!  looking good!

UPDATE 6/7

Finished all of the base layer aging and weathering for the receiver tube. Decided to shoot for the moon and hopefully recreate the most accurate mock aged "surecoat wrinkle finish" FISD has seen to date. Weathering will most likely be on the heavier side considering my de-ac sterling weighs as much as an infant and I'll need a not-so-heavy but just as aesthetically pleasing E-11. Plus I'm planning a TD build and yea, pretty sure patrols in the dune sea would beat the s**t out of anything. Anyway, here's some progress pics!

Profile shot:

2z3xtep.jpg

Charging handle channel:

25uu0m0.jpg

Top view:

w2jedj.jpg

Bayonette lug flat area/barrel vents:

140x83r.jpg