DD's ANH E-11 Build Thread (First Timer)

Thanks. This is really taxing my brain but I'm having fun. I've always learned in life by effing up stuck then fixing it for the better. Just hate when you've spent so much money and time to make errors, but oh well! I'll have to checkuo on your build tomorrow.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek, I think you're doing a GREAT job!Ā  Just keep at it!Ā  Great job with the front sight and rear catch!Ā  Hollowing out those parts worries me - I'll be afraid I'll break them!

Ā 

If youĀ sand the putty and epoxy smooth, I don't think anyone will ever notice you modified the trigger guard.

Ā 

If it bothers you, you might tryĀ shortening the spring one coil at a time until you like the way it looks.Ā  It's only a pen spring and you can drill it out and start over with another springĀ if you cut it too short.Ā  Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how much the trigger really moves.Ā  I checked the trigger pull on my build with a ruler.

From full forward to full back, the trigger only travels 3/8".

Ā 

Here's a few pictures for reference (you can also see trigger guard clearances):

Ā 

Full forward

689A7956-EBBF-49F3-9A81-A74136B098F9_zps

Ā 

Full back

15CC026B-FB23-4F0A-A2AD-7C33050B1A57_zps

Ā 

And finally, maybe drill slightly deeper with the muzzle bolts.Ā  It appears the top of the head is flush with the thickness of the larger round area.

77078E10-0B66-445A-AAE9-F9801DD65ACF_zps

Ā 

Looking forward to your next post!!!!

Edited by usaeatt2

Keep up the good work Derek. I will be one of those amateur builders soon to embark on my DVH build. While the Masters threats (oops, threads) are a great resourse on how to do things, it is often good to see others mistakes to learn even more. I'm showing plenty of mistakesĀ in my armor build thread so hopefully others can learn from it. So thank you!

No problem providing any picture you need for reference...just let me know!Ā  I got out my Doopy kit for comparison and noticed the trigger guard is shaped slightly different.Ā  Doopy likely modified the shape to provide aĀ more secure way toĀ attachĀ a resin part.Ā  The original trigger guard hasĀ hooks that get pinned through the trigger group.Ā  This probably would have been too fragile on a resin part, so the ends were modified into "tabs" that are glued into slots.Ā  The overall shape is very similar; just the ends have a different curve, and of course the tabs are different.Ā  Back over to you, Derek - LEAD ON!

Derek, I think you're doing a GREAT job!Ā  Just keep at it!Ā  Great job with the front sight and rear catch!Ā  Hollowing out those parts worries me - I'll be afraid I'll break them!

Ā 

If youĀ sand the putty and epoxy smooth, I don't think anyone will ever notice you modified the trigger guard.

Ā 

If it bothers you, you might tryĀ shortening the spring one coil at a time until you like the way it looks.Ā  It's only a pen spring and you can drill it out and start over with another springĀ if you cut it too short.Ā  Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how much the trigger really moves.Ā  I checked the trigger pull on my build with a ruler.

From full forward to full back, the trigger only travels 3/8".

Ā 

Here's a few pictures for reference (you can also see trigger guard clearances):

Ā 

Full forward

689A7956-EBBF-49F3-9A81-A74136B098F9_zps

Ā 

Full back

15CC026B-FB23-4F0A-A2AD-7C33050B1A57_zps

Ā 

And finally, maybe drill slightly deeper with the muzzle bolts.Ā  It appears the top of the head is flush with the thickness of the larger round area.

C50A7D2E-54D6-4851-AEF2-9C3BC2C78F93_zps

Ā 

Looking forward to your next post!!!!

Ā 

Ā 

Hey Aaron, thanks for your feedback! I went on two troops today as a handler with my local garrison, and had so much fun. To be honest, my blaster even as it is, will look totally boss when done compared to what a lot of other people had. When my sample group is the internet, of course people are doing some insane stuff. Like I stated a while back, if you look at the pic of my trigger spring, I actually already cut that in half of what you see. I still get some good spring action in it. I'm not sure if the spring is so much as too long as the well isn't perhaps deep enough? I've posted the two pics of what you wanted to see. I'm just worried about "over-tinkering" at this point.

Ā 

Fully out:

trigger2_zps8dfd797b.gif

Ā 

Fully pulled back:

Ā 

trigger3_zps2f592246.gif

Ā 

Ā 

Annnnnnd now I think I see what you mean. Hmm. Since the trigger guard is already extended out and epoxied, I'm thinking about just leaving it. But now it's also eating at me. :mellow: So basically I'd only need about a quarter of a spring then, huh? I've already cut to half.

Also, have any of you considered this mod yet? I havent' seen anyone mention it. In a perfect world, I would love to dremel the domed chromie cap from the hex bolt part, but feel that would be a challenging cut. Or go the way of Tim's idea, and drill out a hole for a ball bearing or something. The size of the cap nut is the same size as the flat-head screw on the opposite side, btw. Mechanically/engineering wise it makes sense to me, that that's how the grip is really put together? A cap nut vs. just a nut and exposed threaded post?

Ā 

idea_zpsce27b122.png

Ā 

If not, then what the heck is the blob supposed to be on the real Sterling?

Not a cap nut.Ā  Refer to the Sterling Handbook I sent with your template.Ā  That "blob" is the other end of the "trigger group retaining pin".Ā  It holds the trigger group in the trigger frame.Ā  The grip (just the plastic part) isĀ attachedĀ with the allen head bolt (the one at the bottom of the grip).

Ā 

If you really want to go for this mod, I'd probably just drill it out and epoxy a ball bearing into the hole...but that's not going to look much different than what you've got now...

Ā 

53806F29-1643-4AF5-9312-0EF69918AD96_zps

Ā 

CDC11A3F-B070-4A25-A1FE-9D30FDD02B4C_zps

Annnnnnd now I think I see what you mean. Hmm. Since the trigger guard is already extended out and epoxied, I'm thinking about just leaving it. But now it's also eating at me. :mellow: So basically I'd only need about a quarter of a spring then, huh? I've already cut to half.

Ā 

Ā triggerguardtwo_zps15dda8b8.png

Derek, you're looking good brother. No need to worry about anything at this point. I think that your trigger guard fix looks great, once it is painted nobody will see it at all. I might give it a little more sanding, but I don't know that it will be very necessary.

Ā 

If you hadn't epoxied your trigger guard, I'd have suggested redrilling the channel for your spring in the trigger, but with the guard in place - like you said - you've pretty much got what you're going to have.

Ā 

As for your folding stock issue... Check your PMs.

Ā 

You're on a good path man. Your blaster will be fine. Like I mentioned elsewhere, take your time and have fun. If you go and look at my build, you'll see that I began (I believe) posting it on the 21st of January. Over three months ago. A bit here, a bit there and before you know it - you'll be painting and getting ready for final assembly! Keep at it!

Thanks for the encouragement Tim. Yea, I think compared to people out there, I'm certainly not going to outdo anyone, but just want a decent blaster that looks cool to the general public. There is always that badazz who spent a grand or who is an engineer who can do crazy stuff haha.

Ā 

At this point, my main concern is the bolt area, getting my back cap to fit (too thin and brittle to sand the inside diameter) and possibly sanding the back part of the pvc down to accomodate it. Sighhhhhh.

Ā 

The other thing is the paintjob. How many coats do you use? I did a spare-pipe-test with primer and one coat and was disappointed that a barely hard knick or ding would go right to grey primer. Two or 3 top coats?

Edited by thederek

Ah.. The paintjob. If you look at my latest update to my build thread, you'll see that today, I discovered the same thing that you did: A coat of primer and one coat of paint is very easily dinged up. LoL

Ā 

As a result of my experience(s) today, I'll be adding another "base" coat of flat black to my blaster before I mask it off for the textured paint - which will receive three coats in order to create the texture, and after that, I'll be airbrushing another coat or two on it to bring down the color of the textured paint.

Ā 

Of course, I've got to learn to mix the paint, and use the airbrush first. LoL

Ok so today I finally got the bolt to fit into the pipe after over an hour of sanding it down. Still have no clue how to tackle that to make it look realistic. I guess I have some days of reading to do. Glued the hex head bolts to the barrel plug. Found dowels for an inner barrel/bolt stop.

Ā 

A little pissed today, as I tried to make a working fire mode selector, read for 2 days how to make it, and almost had the hole drilled perfectly in the trigger group when the POS dremel jumped on me and widened the hole for the bolt I wanted to use (that would fit the small circle of the selector switch. So that failed, and now it's glued to automatic position instead. I'm really peeved about this. The whole point in doing a build like this is for extra items to work like other blasters won't. I kind of had a feeling this part would not go well when I started to consider how to do this.

Ā 

At this point, I'm starting to lose it, and I think I'm going to forget all these timely/costly parts for mods like some people are doing. I'm slapping this bad boy with the few mods I've done, and figure out a simple bolt system and add a spring.

Ā 

I suggest for others unless you're a good propsman or really good with tools (and excellent at winging it) just get the full resin kit. I wish I would have; would have saved more money and been easier to build than trying a pipe build. Lesson learned (I thought I would save more money doing a pipe build, but the opposite turned out for me).

Ā 

I'll wait until I get a bonus for Christmas and buy an awesome blaster from someone if I feel the urge. I'll just post the end result in a few weeks, I'm sure I'll have a fine basic blaster for troopin. I haven't even tackled the scope and sight rail yet (shudder). Thanks for all your help Tim, Aaron, et al. :)

Edited by thederek

For sure! I test fitted some parts and I think it will be ok, passable for sure. However as far as a thread, there are way better ones out there but I'll still take pics here and there. Your blaster is awesome Tim!

Ā 

I'll probably hit you and Aaron up on some bolt help. There are so many threads out there not sure where to begin. I'm going to walk away for a bit, but I'll be back.

My bolt will be getting some special sort of attention in the near future. It is the one part that I have not "built" yet - but I did find paint that I'll be using for it!

Derek,

Ā 

I look forward to seeing your results and will try to help any way I can.Ā  In my short past on the FISD, I've found posting can be rewarding, but it can also be distracting - it's great for getting help from others with more experience, but it slows me down tremendously.Ā  Although I would have liked to post pictures of my TIG welding process, I didn't feel I could stay focusedĀ AND take pictures, so I decided to skip it in the interest of achieving the best result.Ā  Although we won't get to enjoy seeing your build step-by-step, I respect your decision.

Ā 

Ultimately, you're making a blaster for yourself, so just do what makes you happy.Ā  It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.Ā  Above all, know that it's not a competition.Ā  We all have different skills.Ā  The only way you can get better at a skill is by practicing and learning.Ā  Good luck with your build!!!

Derick! So I'm not going to discourage you from whatever route you take but if I may I will tell you about the philosophies I adopted going into this build.

Ā 

As far as experience and working it out on the fly is concerned I'm the king of slap dash operations. Ooooh the skeptical looks my wife has given me since I told her I was going to do this 501st thing. But you know when I started this myself I went in knowing I was going to be waaaay over my head. But part of the point of this for me is to be over my head. At this point in my life if I don't start challenging myself I am just going to wallow in stagnation. Sure I'm going to break things and fail a lot but it will all be lessons for my next build. Trust me this does not come easy to me. I've changed my mind so many times since I've started this that my E-11 has become the bastard child of unrelated reference photos. But you know she is going to be my bastard E-11.

Ā 

As far as my thread goes I knew from the outset that it wasn't going to be the best thread, or the most thourough, or the most aww inspiring. Hell I'm shocked somedays that people are still keeping up. Sure I have sections where I seem to be talking to myself and am just posting stream of consciousness ideas. But I started the thread to be as much a personal build journal as anything else. I just wanted it to be a journal that people can chime in on as I stumble through this as they see fit. I promised myself that of I don't get another comment or page hit on the thing that I was going to just keep posting my build. My minor in college was archaeology and I am a true believer in posterity's sake. Hell 90% of archaeological field work is sifting through thousands of years of literally peoples garbage. You never know when your broken arrow head is going to be another man's prize find (in my case it was about 400 to 500 years later when I found that puppy. I only did volunteer field work for about 7 days but man that was a cool day when I pulled that up from the section I was working on).

Ā 

Anyway my point is that I would encourage you to keep up the thread even if you feel like your making yourself look like a fool. In the month I've been here everyone has been very encouraging and just generally great human beings. I don't think anyone here is going to think ill of you for sticking your head out and trying something new and challenging. Brother you are amongst friends!

...but if you want to just slap that thing together and call it a day than no ill judgments on you either. I just got mine all puttied and glued together this weekend and man it was a relief to see that thing together. I just have sanding and painting left.

Speaking of which I really should do a two week update on my thread soon. My wife is finishing up a final paper tomorrow so I should get some quality computer time soon.

Ā 

SaludƃĀ© buddy!

You both are right. I don't mean to sound like such a B. You guys have been great and are my new virtual friends. The FISD community has been amazing at helping me. Aaron, you are correct, sometimes it can be a distraction. I think I've always struggled with being a perfectionist and I get really bent out of shape when it goes wrong, got to learn to stay focused.

Ā 

Brian, very nice words man. Like you I knew it would be challenging but quickly learned I bit off more than I could chew, but it's not impossible. I've built many small models and while I knew this would be harder, did not expect so many issues. After drilling two pipes to get the holes right, I look back and think I got this far. Just all the things I wanted to do didn't turn out as planned. Like you perhaps this is my diary of my mental struggles more than other people's thread.

Ā 

The trigger is fine for me. Was really peeved about the selector switch as it looked really easy. Oh, abd I cut my finger open experimenting with barrel springs from coat hangers. Think I'll go with softer wire from Home Depots vs coat hanger but try and find a close enough gauge.

Ā 

Finished the mag today. The button came out decent but my etching of "off" and the arrow is...off haha. Arrow too close to the end, letters are a bit off (pun intended) but oh well. Keep moving. My bastard little blaster.

Ā 

I will show more pics tomorrow at night, still kept taking pics. And for the loce of Pete I wish I could change the thread name from "threat"!!! It's only threatening my sanity and dignity! :)

Edited by thederek

So I've taken a break this week, been really busy and needed a breather from all of this so I've been focusing on other items to acquire for my TK build. To top everything off, I've decided to go ANH route, so this thread is no longer accurately ESB. With that said, my M19 scope is already en route from Striker, so I won't be changing that aspect of it (from what I understand, some E11's in ANH had M19's). The only think I'll need to add are the Hengstler counter and Power cylinders, and add a metal side piece bracket to the scope rail.

Ā 

I made a little progress, and also encountered more issues, hence causing me frustratiion and also trying to figure out my next phase of action, along with discovering some bits of glee, albeit at the price of the almighty $. You'll see what I mean. So for starters, as stated in above posts, I wanted a working selector switch. It almost came out ok but the dremel bit jumped violently on me when drilling into the grip, thus rendering the hole too big and useless to be functional for what I imagined. At that point, I said heck with it, I'm gluing it. I didn't want to spend more time, money, etc just to make the switch work. This is all personal preference at this point. Anyways, It started off wonderfully. I took the thread post from a SMALLER hex nut than what was in the barrel.

Ā 

selector_zps185681f2.gif

Ā 

Drilled a hole, used some 2 part epoxy, and some pliers to actually screw the post in (created a perfectly snug threaded fit).

Ā 

selector2_zpsf2ba42d2.gif

Ā 

At this point it worked, but was still a little too loose. I had a feeling it would happen, and tried to brainstorm and fix it. The more I effed with it, the worse it got to where I was like, I'll just glue it.

Ā 

selector3_zpsb7385eb5.gif

Ā 

You can see here, this is the loose gap that was bothering me. Drilling deeper wouldn't help, wasn't really sure what to do. So I "redneck fixed it in place" (glued it).

selector4_zpse98aaece.gif

I then felt a bit over-confident with my dremel skills, as mentioned up there, I tried to mod the mag like I've seen others do. I was really satisfied with the "button" how well that came out for my two left thumbs, but I am apparently the world's worst engraver. Lesson to all: do not underestimate your space. I apparently started too far over, which left way too little room for everything, especially the arrow. Would anyone on a troop or any kid notice? Most likely 99% "Nope"! Would you all? Of course you would. I could have put puddy on it and start over, but I wasn't about to let "doing it right" get in the way at this point. It quickly devolved into humor and it's own, ugly personality.

Ā 

mehhhh_zps8511fb53.gif

Ā 

For the button, I drilled a hole and turned the mag upside down and smooshed puddy through to get the dome.

Ā 

magclip_zps5ad1646f.gif

Ā 

I also sanded down the magazine cylinder/screw to hug closer to the magazine receiver:

cylinder_zps0a8bc0f7.gif

Ā 

Ā 

I still was not happy about the engraving on the mag. It was really bothering me. Then I saw my answer, my way out; I finally understood the dark side of the collective here. When in doubt, allow another trooper to let you buy your way out!! I found the wonderful, heavenly section of "Ongoing Runs and Projects". So, I bought myself an even better, longer clip, with the pin, button, and better etching, by someone way better than me, for a very fair price. Problem solved, and I'm fine with that! I just want this abhoration to look halfway decent when done, and this will really add some baddazzery to it. Thanks Gaz!!!!!!!!

Ā 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26677-doopy-dos-replacement-e-11-magazine-run-2-now-open/

Edited by thederek