Electronics advice wanted: sound module for blaster

I really want to add some sound and light module to my blaster but there doesn't seem to be a huge market for these products ready to install. The ones available are very pricey. Building one would be beyond my ability and understanding of electronics.

I came across a few re-recordable sound modules on the net mostly for greeting cards & toys. The one posted below looks interesting since you can hook it up directly to your pc and transfer the sound files. I am guessing you could hook up a mini amplifier/better speaker or  simplify the push button playback somehow. Does anyone know if this could work in a blaster just for sound effects?  Lighting effects would be a challenge to incorporate with this set up but if someone sees any possibility please let me know. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/300-second-USB-recording-module/dp/B0095KAA3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392689668&sr=8-1&keywords=300+second+USB+recording+module

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

There's a few different ways to add sound, from the high end it would be an arduino build, down to a $5 toy blaster, both work well it just depends how screen like you want it to sound. For lights the arduino allows quite a nice bank of lights, also a graph for ammunition level, at the cheap and easy end you can just add a high bright LED, one side comes from the battery the other goes to the switch.

A nice trick it to fit an output jack to your speaker so you can run a cable to your amp, really pumps out the sound :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

I actually have that one and its little sibling. Not very impressive, and the software to record audio on them are kind of tricky to use before you figure it out. But they are so cheap it's all in all not a waste of money, and it's nice to actually be able to put your own sounds on it. I bought them via http://www.electronics123.com/ who were easy to shop from and shipped fast.

Thanks for your feedback. So quick! I might give it a try since I don't think I can piece together the higher end type electronics.

It would be great to have a list up (with visuals) of different blaster electronics members have made/ or available for sale, etc.

Here are the few I am aware of:

Plector Labs Blastercore 4.0 - (Not sure what this looks like when it is all wired up to speakers ,etc. but interested to see)

---------

Hyperdyne: E-11 Trooper Blaster Upgrade  ( This looks good but the price tag is quite high)

----------

Here is one setup found on instructables.com- (good step by step, still looks hard to assemble without screwing it up- not sure what the overall cost is as well)

---------

FISD member: skyone's arduino build- (really awesome, state of the art. Looks too difficult for me to even try it at this point. Skyone documents the build in detail.)

-----------

There are probably other arduino/alternative electronic builds here on the FISD but I haven't had enough time to view them yet.

On 2/18/2014 at 10:52 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

A nice trick it to fit an output jack to your speaker so you can run a cable to your amp, really pumps out the sound :D

Glen, I like that idea about adding an output jack to the speaker.! 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I actually have that one and its little sibling. Not very impressive, and the software to record audio on them are kind of tricky to use before you figure it out. But they are so cheap it's all in all not a waste of money, and it's nice to actually be able to put your own sounds on it. I bought them via http://www.electronics123.com/ who were easy to shop from and shipped fast.

Thanks Mathias for giving me the heads up on the quality. I guess quality sound comes with a higher end setup.