TKC Project

Klaatu75

Hi there,

I'm Alex from Cologne. For some time i've been considering modding my ANH-Stunt into a TKC. And today I'm kind of obsessed with the idea ;-)

It's perfectly clear that my armor is not the ideal base for a TKC, and there would be loads of work to do to come near  the ROTJ "blueprint", but I think it CAN be done and I'm not aiming for EIB.

Sure, there are many other ways some of which would eventually lead to a more accurate result, but I really want to do it with my current armor. First, because I really love it as my first build and second, cause I am convinced a TKC would fit nicely to this "bulkier" Trooper.

I'll add some pictures of my TK, so you can see what I would start from.

I'd be very thankful for opinions, hints, whatever

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Klaatu75

Thanks Ken!

Meanwhile I've started working on the helmet.

First I masked the area. I used bits of toothpaste to mark the later scratches.

--------

Then, after removing the tapes and cleaning up some "drops", I used watered acrylic paint and sandpaper

----------

Now the following pics show the state of work today. Some details are missing (ear-markings). But what do you folks think so far?

-------

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

the eyeline is off... and looks like you've gone too wide.

most people will just say "looks great" but it's hard to explain unless you have spent

hours studying the design.  the tip near the hovie is too short and the design is supposed to have

a slight twisted angle right at the forehead.

I must say it was hard for me to point this out after all your hard work... but I hope you will understand after looking

at the photo below.  after all this is about having fun...

I'll add a photo to this post in a few minutes.

see the difference?

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The game models are s**t, especially anything other than the xbox version as those have the most real details. The designers took a tk and added a blue layer to the 2D texture which is why theres blue on the brow trim and when wrapped around the wireframe the stripe looks curved and uneven.

Thank You guys!

Vern, I'm very thankful for any hints and critics, for in my opinion that's what a public WIP thread is all about.

Concerning the tip of the blue stripe - well yeah, it's definitely shorter than the game model's, but I like the "clearer" more articulated variant of tip, which I've seen in the CRL and on many helmets here in FISD.

I've made a TKC helmet that is almost mark for mark accurate... the only difference being that I took out the jaggy elements of the squared off lines.

the goal in some TKC paintwork is idealized on most people's builds... with toothpaste or latex used to replicate the scratches.

I will dig out my photo comparisons here later today to show the dimensions I used.  the front and rear widths of the line, as well as the scratch patterns

can be replicated by simply using a brush and hand painting the patterns.

most people just mask and spray paint... and that's the way you've done it here.  I just figured that you might draw some ideas from looking at the

detailed model skins.

sure the game models are not idealized... and that's the nature of the paint on the TKC itself... it's not supposed to be 'clean'

look at the way the game designers replicated the chipped paint on the design... just like the real helmets in our real world... chipped white

paint over green base color... and dirt and wear.

that's what makes the TKC fun for me to attempt to replicate.

I'm glad that you understood my reasoning and I hope that you make some changes to your design as a result... but in the end of the day

the goal is to have fun.

The game models are s**t, especially anything other than the xbox version as those have the most real details. The designers took a tk and added a blue layer to the 2D texture which is why theres blue on the brow trim and when wrapped around the wireframe the stripe looks curved and uneven.

the game skins shown in the TKC thread are the same across all platforms... just the renderer in each game engine changes the output to the screen.

my personal goal is to make the scratch patterns match the base render.

the designers did not just wrap the design onto existing models... the base stormtrooper render is much different in shape than the TKC. but you'd

have to have them side by side to compare.

the TKC in the CRL is idealized, and the 501st has basically cleaned up the concept and pushes for a cleaned up look.

look at it this way... if we idealized the sandtrooper dirt patterns it would not look as good as it does.

if you look closely at the base render you can see just how complex the shapes are on the armor... the edges are rough and uneven to show

a paint scheme that might remind some of warpaint.  if we mask perfect lines like most people do... I personally don't like the look of

clean lines on a TKC... but that's how mason created paul's armor... and that's how it hit the CRL.

I personally like the rougher approach... but it's really apples to oranges... or however you'd like to put it.

if we idealized the deathtrooper... how would that look? cleaner?