Chelsea boots painting using airbrush (heavy pics)

My vacation become true, and I started with painting my chelsea boots which I bought on e-bay for about 40$. Warming up with the SorenM topics about boots painting I decided to paint using airbrush. I have cheap chinese JAS airbrush with 0.3mm nozzle. The one thing I was not sure if the Angelus paint enough thin for the airbrush. But when the paint arrived I define that it is need a thinner anyway. Made preparation of boots by acetone wearing through three times. Also use 3M waterproof masking tape. Mixing the paint with rubbing alcohol 1:2 proportion I get the proper viscosity for airbrush.

The first run of painting:

28758_original.jpg

29231_original.jpg

29493_original.jpg

29696_original.jpg

30119_original.jpg

30666_original.jpg

31882_original.jpg

31230_original.jpg

Need to say that paint is not need to wait a long time to cover with a new layer while you are painting with airbrush. Yes, airbrushing take much more time then simple brushing. When you airbrushing there are very very thin layer appears, but it's dried quickly and you just painting continiously. This is not the final view. I want to paint more white to get rid of the semi-tones.

Edited by Ales

About 4-5 times. Just finished the second run - and it is plus 3 layers about. That's enough. Pretty good looking. Will wait for tomorrow and cover with angelus finisher #600. Lets see what happened. Now the boots are too matte.

By the way, a can say how much paint were spent - it is 26 ml and 52 ml of rubbing alcohol accordingly :) Very sparingly!

About 4-5 times. Just finished the second run - and it is plus 3 layers about. That's enough. Pretty good looking. Will wait for tomorrow and cover with angelus finisher #600. Lets see what happened. Now the boots are too matte.

By the way, a can say how much paint were spent - it is 26 ml and 52 ml of rubbing alcohol accordingly :) Very sparingly!

That is just awesome... :)  :jc_doublethumbup:

The elastic inserts make me depressed. They are not getting white at whole. I see I paint it white, but after minute it appear black again, absorbing the paint...May be its need to soak completely with paint.

Use fabric paint like Dylon for the elastic.

564717_1013_1_800.jpg

Ahaaaa :-).... Should have thought of that...well, I can always do that...still have two other pairs that I can paint:-)..

And here we are:

32126_original.jpg

And there are no problems with untouching of masking tape, just pull it off carefully.

So, lets calculate my expenses: sorry for mislead by above mentioned "about 40$", it was GBP :)  So it's a bit higher price in USD.

- 68$ - Boots

- 5,5$ - paint finisher

- 8,75$ - paint

- about 20$ - other stuff - acetone, alcohol, cleaner for airbrush, masking tape.

Totally ~ 100$

Just wear its on. The paint is awesome - no cracking or something wrong, just like a real leather shoes from the store. Do anyone knows if I should to cream the boots? Or lets it scuffed themselves for CRL requirements?

I've bought a transparent creamy boots sponge and overlay the boots. I'm sure It totally becomes the real tkboots  :)  It's perfect!

I don't even expect such quality.

Edited by Ales

I am quite sure that the boots in the movies were painted with a brush..:-)

I like the way my boots turned out, eventhough the brushstrokes are visible....at a distance of more than a meter, you cannot see it....

• 3 weeks later...

I used, and I believe Alexey did as well, a 4 oz bottle. Approximately half of that will be used to paint one pair of boots..

Good luck on the paintjob..:-)

Edited by SorenM