Feedback no matter what

With the speaker in the chest, mic in helmet, and volume low I'll still get it, but I want to hear myself so I put the speaker lower like on the ab or on the belt, turn the volume up a bit and still get it.

Its an older model aker amp. It seems the frequency finds its way through the armor no matter the distance/volume.

I definitely have a cap on volume before the feedback is imminent. It usually starts at a level I barely consider audible through the chest piece. [i frequently do without sound for this reason.] My 12A seems to be a little more tolerant than my 10A, if that helps.

Also, my fan adds to the feedback factor.

Just find a quiet area and do a step by step up of the volume till you get the feedback then back down till it stops. I have the 12 Acker in my chest and have marked the amp with a mark to give me a starting point. I can depend alot on the atmosphere that you are in also. Plus PTT or voice activated makes a huge difference.

Just find a quiet area and do a step by step up of the volume till you get the feedback then back down till it stops. I have the 12 Acker in my chest and have marked the amp with a mark to give me a starting point. I can depend alot on the atmosphere that you are in also. Plus PTT or voice activated makes a huge difference.

Better or worse with PTT vs. Voice activated?

I'm planning on getting the ptt. I've just been testing placement in my apartment. I'd put the speaker in the back plate but it just sounds muffled in there. I wonder if taking it apart and gluing the speaker itself to the armor would make a difference. Maybe I need a different mic? There's just too much interference

I'm planning on getting the ptt. I've just been testing placement in my apartment. I'd put the speaker in the back plate but it just sounds muffled in there. I wonder if taking it apart and gluing the speaker itself to the armor would make a difference. Maybe I need a different mic? There's just too much interference

Here is how I run it. I use voice activated with the amp Velcroed to the chest plate with the speaker pointed out, tied into my ICOMM static burst emulator. But everyone has their own method. Just play around and see what works best for you. Keep in mind, your apartment is smaller then most places you will be at and there will always be more people and more ambient noise at troops.

post-18313-0-10505300-1377548486_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4165gorilla

i did some experiments today. if i put it in the back plate its not loud enough even with volume up to max, and squeels like the dickens if the speaker is too close to anything.

ironically the mic also screams if its too close to, or in, my mouth lol. looks like ill have to get one of those newer models in a higher wattage.

i have another mic thats unidirectional but its battery powered, the bats dead so i cant test it yet, would any sound engineer troopers know if a powered mic vs the aker powered mic affects anything?

OK Soren, here is a picture of how I attached my amp and ICOMM. I just used industrial strength Velcro to attach both so I can remove them to clean the inside once in a while.

Thanks a bunch Carl :-).... That was one of my ideas for attaching. Now that I can see that it works, I wil go down that road..:-)...

Thanks again:-)...

Thanks a bunch Carl :-).... That was one of my ideas for attaching. Now that I can see that it works, I wil go down that road..:-)...

Thanks again:-)...

Also keep in mind you need to do this with your bucket and neck seal on. This will help cut down on the feedback. Doing this without you helmet on is like hitting your head against the wall.

I hung my Aker on my side under my canvas belt for the Barnes n Noble troop. It is the exact width of the belt and was hidden quite well, especially being on the holster side; the blaster helped hide it. It worked perfectly b/c I could adjust the volume at any time. It was barely visible, but it's black, so I don't think it was noticeable. I am going to try covering it with white tape and see which is less conspicuous.