WIP Stormtrooper

Here you can see me wearing my stormtrooper costume that I have purchased from a guy in the UKG. It needed quite a lot of shimming in the thighs/calfs and biceps and still needs more work. Please can anybody give me feedback wether this is a lost cause to be cleared. 

IMAG0439.jpgIMAG0400.jpgIMAG0399.jpgIMAG0398.jpg

Doesn't look too bad.

I would consider shimming the sides between the kidney and ab plates. This will help keep the ab and kidney pieces centered. In your photos you can see they are both slightly off center and my guess it is due to the closer gap on your left side and wider gap on the right side.

I might also look into a new set of thighs. Those appear to be quite short for your body.

I've seen kits that look terrible and still get accepted. This kit is clean and shouldn't give you any problems. I'd just try and space your ab and kidney so they center better. Other than that I can't see why you wouldn't be approved. It will be up to the local Garrison to make the final approval though.

Many thanks for the feedback. The thighs are the problem. I have very large thighs and have they been shimmed quite a lot at the back. I was thinking about buying new thighs but not sure how long they are, as the ones i have been trimmed to fit a shorter leg. The shims for the sides seem quite a good idea. 

Thanks 

Graeme

Doesn't look too bad.

I would consider shimming the sides between the kidney and ab plates. This will help keep the ab and kidney pieces centered. In your photos you can see they are both slightly off center and my guess it is due to the closer gap on your left side and wider gap on the right side.

I might also look into a new set of thighs. Those appear to be quite short for your body.

I've seen kits that look terrible and still get accepted. This kit is clean and shouldn't give you any problems. I'd just try and space your ab and kidney so they center better. Other than that I can't see why you wouldn't be approved. It will be up to the local Garrison to make the final approval though.

I'm a "husky" guy too. Here are some pictures I took. Sorry for the bad quality, I did not feel like taking my camera out, so I used my cell lol.

Here is a picture of my shim on my tight

null_zpsd2852199.jpg

And these are pictures of my side shims. I glued them on with E-6000. I use snaps to hold them in place on the ab plate. Ignore the velcro that you see, it's there for method that I tried that did not work. 

null_zpsac4a76f2.jpg

null_zps00afdb78.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more WIP.

Replaced the thighs and are in the process of shimming the rear although this is a lot thinner than previous, about 2 inches max.
Shimmed the sides in to show a lot less black.
Adjusted the drop boxes on the canvas belt, rivets still need painting white.
Adjusted the top straps on the chest to bring it in tighter.
On the front of the thighs what size of shim shall i use to hide the thigh join?

IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

IMAG0615-1.jpgIMAG0617.jpg

On the front of the thighs what size of shim shall i use to hide the thigh join?

You should use a strip thats wide enough to cover the raised area where the pieces are joined, but the strip shouldnt go over the edge of the raised areas.

Am I making sense?  :)

if possible try to bring your thighs up a little more, will give you more clearance around the knees. Much better, keep up with it :D

You should use a strip thats wide enough to cover the raised area where the pieces are joined, but the strip shouldnt go over the edge of the raised areas.

Am I making sense?  :)

Right got it wasn't sure if i just had to hide the join. But i will do as suggested. Many thanks.

I have to cut out at the back of the knee yet to help with walking, if not i will shift them up as well.

Also the shims on the sides how should i attach them to the front plate and the rear plate at the moment there just velcro or should i rivet or popper them??

-Graeme

Edited by grimisuk

• 3 weeks later...

It really looks well fit.

I've seen some wide strips on the backs of the thighs. Usually I try to encourage them to do it wide in the back and keep it official in the front. Sometimes you can add a little bit more width in the front if you are bigger than the typical TK's from the movies.

I'm also thinking about a way to lower your kidney and butt plate to take up some of the gap with the thighs. Normally you would want ot have about 1/2" black gap between your back and kidney piece. If you lower the kidney and butt you can create that gap and take up the gap in the back between the thighs. This might need you to change the angle of your side plates.

Im sending you a PM of an animated image showing this adjustment.