Armor Kit from Trooper Supplies

Hey Guys

Im in process of rounding up the items to make a TK. This is my first build and im not a 501st member (yet). I have been emailing with someone from the website trooper supplies. I was asking if he had the boots in my size - he did not. Going to be about 6 weeks for another batch to be made.  He did then mention they are making Armor Kits right now. I have not yet gotten a kit, so I asked him about it. Here is his reply:

"Hi Dominick,

Thank you very much for writing back. 
Oh yes, we actually have the high gloss white ABS TK/Sandtrooper kit in stock. 
The complete kits are only ***** plus shipping
The kits include a lot of extras that no one else produces or include. 
Such as:
2 styles of knee plates. One standard TK and two diamond sandy plates.
2 styles of shoulder straps. One set of tandard ribbed TK straps and one set of smooth sandtrooper style straps.
3 styles of hand plates. 1-set of stanard TK, 1 set of domed ESB style, 1 set of sandy cheese graters!
2 styles of helmet decals with 2 styles of blue vent ribs
custom aluminum HOVi's with pre-formed stainless steel screens and hardware.
2 styles of helmet lens. flat and bubbled hero lens
all of the body armor trimmed and ready  fit, designed using deeper molds so larger fans can trim to fit. 
custom extruded custom colored gray plastic thermal det tube with white ABS touch plate and end caps.
elastic straps
original UK rubber brow trim and original UK inside edge trim
hard hat liner 
hard hat liner mounting clips
ABS cement
nuts and bolts
thigh drop boxes complete with both inner and outer pieces which fit together beautifully (4 pieces total)
convertible abdomen plate with original style button plates which are now formed into the part  (sandy or TK)
It's really an amazing kit. 
The helmet is extremely screen accurate but we did design a new system for mounting the dome instead of the one piece dome and back which is too thin and cracks very easily, ours, when finished, is extremely strong, capable of being used at conventions, shipped without cracking.  withstanding abuse from fans, and so on. 

Thanks!

There are few photos posted below. We're still working on build sheets:)

------------

Here is a link to Clinton's helmet, which was recently finished. He hand painted the decals on, but our kit actually comes with two versions of hand drawn style  silk screened decals which are beautiful! We hadn't finished our decals as Clinton's helmet was our early production sample, but they're finished now.

The only glitch we've had with the helmet is the helmet side covers (intercom covers) which were sculpted slightly short. Just a little, still usable, but not perfect. So, we completely re-worked the molds at the shop and the new pieces should be perfect. We've pulled two samples, one is going to a fan for approval and the second set if going to another fan and if they're happy with them, then we're going to make 100 sets and I'm going to pay for them and pay to ship them to any fan who has our suit and wishes to upgrade. It shouldn't take us but two weeks to make the 100 sets and we'll send them untrimmed so the fans can fit them exactly as they wish, either film style with gapping, or convention (better in real life) style with much closer tolerances. 

(there was a photo included that the FISD website wont let me upload :( )

You can see the difference between the two sets. 

I have a kit in stock:)

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail, I'll be happy to assist. Clinton and few others are going to start on-line build sheets which will assist when assembling. 

The plastic is beautiful, it's a very glossy bright white and cost us quite a bit to have custom made but I feel it's worth the extra effort"

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Is this a fair price?

Any advice on this matter would be great. Thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

My current  armor to was small for my frame, I have a thin build but my shoulders wide and the NE armor fits  me pretty well.  I had to trim it down to fit me, This armor is good for people that are to large for screen size armor. I would go with a lite kit  (no helmet) , you can buy a helmet that is better from armor suppliers here.

The armor comes fully trimmed and is glossy white, can't really beat the price.  Whats your height and weight?

Hello DizzleLA and welcome!!  Very excited to see that you're winding up to build your first kit! :D  I just wanted to chime in real quick and urge you to not get discouraged by the responses here.  They are in NO WAY indicative of the types of responses and help you'll generally get in person once you get tied in with your local garrison.  My first and best piece of advice would be to get connected with locals in your area.  That is, folks that have built TKs and can help you get up and running.  Make no mistake, there is an absolute wealth of information here to be found in the forums including tutorials, screenshots, supplier information, etc, etc..  I'm only urging you to please not get turned off by the responses here.

That being said, check out this post: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

It's probably everything you wanted to know about different types of armor, the pros/cons of each and where to get them.

Be sure to use the search feature before asking questions if possible.  Chances are that what you're looking for has been asked and answered many times here before (with photos, etc).

Again, welcome and good luck on your build!  It's a really fun road that leads to a tremendous amount of more... FUN!.

Happy trooping!

Daryl

Dune Sea Garrison, AZ

Daryl, thanks for providing Dizzle with a legitimate answer to his question. I'm in a similar position as Dizzle, contemplating putting together my first TK kit, and the amount of information found on these forums can be very overwhelming for a new guy. I've also found that the slightly elitist attitude of some members does nothing to encourage questions and learning from prospective recruits. I'm struggling to find the purpose behind the responses from gazmosis and Darth Aloha. I see that gazmosis has achieved Centurion status, so he/she clearly has a strong knowledge of what it takes to put together a great kit. However, instead of sharing any of that knowledge and helping Dizzle out, the response is some smartass nonsense. Great, people have bought the kit. Why even respond if you're just going to be a dick? Is this how we grow the ranks? Then Darth Aloha, he of  "Detatchment Staff" fame, actually commends gazmosis for his response. Seriously? These experienced members are the people who should be setting the example for new members, and this is how they "help" people? Welcome back to middle school. Stay classy, FISD.

My current  armor to was small for my frame, I have a thin build but my shoulders wide and the NE armor fits  me pretty well.  I had to trim it down to fit me, This armor is good for people that are to large for screen size armor. I would go with a lite kit  (no helmet) , you can buy a helmet that is better from armor suppliers here.

The armor comes fully trimmed and is glossy white, can't really beat the price.  Whats your height and weight?

Im 6' about 230lbs...Kinda big. I got in touch with some folks from the So Cal Garrison - they recommended RT-MOD kit for my size...Even one guy said this kit was some sort of knock off and not to buy it...

Hello DizzleLA and welcome!!  Very excited to see that you're winding up to build your first kit! :D  I just wanted to chime in real quick and urge you to not get discouraged by the responses here.  They are in NO WAY indicative of the types of responses and help you'll generally get in person once you get tied in with your local garrison.  My first and best piece of advice would be to get connected with locals in your area.  That is, folks that have built TKs and can help you get up and running.  Make no mistake, there is an absolute wealth of information here to be found in the forums including tutorials, screenshots, supplier information, etc, etc..  I'm only urging you to please not get turned off by the responses here.

That being said, check out this post: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

It's probably everything you wanted to know about different types of armor, the pros/cons of each and where to get them.

Be sure to use the search feature before asking questions if possible.  Chances are that what you're looking for has been asked and answered many times here before (with photos, etc).

Again, welcome and good luck on your build!  It's a really fun road that leads to a tremendous amount of more... FUN!.

Happy trooping!

Daryl

Dune Sea Garrison, AZ

Ok - thanks. Like BallDontLie said - i have looked through ALOT of the threads, and im having a bit of a hard time making heads or tails of some of this stuff. I have talked to a bunch of guys from the So Cal Garrsion, specifically the "Endor Party Crashers", and they have been great - i figure if I ask enough people, ill be able to find what I need....

Im 6' about 230lbs...Kinda big. I got in touch with some folks from the So Cal Garrison - they recommended RT-MOD kit for my size...Even one guy said this kit was some sort of knock off and not to buy it...

This armor should fit you and rt-mod would to, as he can make custom parts to fit your body. As far as a knock off, I guess you mean the helmet. :P 

Hey just want to chime in here... and remind everyone that people misinterpret each other's wording and intentions all the times on forums everywhere, and FISD is generally the most friendly place around. At least when I'm on... so I can lay the smack down on non-fun.

Anyway, Eric's comment was directed at Gaz for being less than helpful. Those two have a long history of friendly sniping, and it was not really helpful to poor Dominick, but nevertheless don't take it the wrong way. 

All right, back on topic! :D

Rasheed, I see that was your first post here, so I assume you've been doing a lot of reading and research. Let us know if you have any specific questions, too! :)

Thanks Ingrid - no hard feelings. After much looking and talking to folks - decided NOT to get this kit. There is some sort of issue with it that i dont quite understand and decided its best to stay out of...

Ingrid,

I do see where you're coming from, and I will say that many of the FISD members I've encountered have been very friendly and helpful in pointing me in the right direction for a successful costume build. However, from the perspective of a relative n00b in this subject matter, it's very frustrating to me when I see responses like the ones from Gazmosis and Darth Aloha.

I'll take your word for it that they have a history of good-natured joking with each other. That type of thing is great, and is a cool aspect of the overall community. However, if a new guy comes in and asks a question, would it be too much to ask to get a straight answer before people hijack/kill the thread with their inside jokes? Stuff like that only serves to further segregate the new information seekers from the established, experienced builders, and makes it that much more intimidating for potential recruits. I've been lucky enough to hook up with some local 501st members and they've squared me away with everything I needed. However, I honestly feel like if I would have relied solely on the FISD community at large, there's a good chance I would have just scrapped the whole idea and found a different hobby.

As I said, there are plenty of friendly, helpful posters here. I just wish you didn't have to weed through so much elitism to find them. Also, thank you for your offer to help out with my questions. If I come up with some new ones, I'll certainly take you up on it.

On 7/26/2013 at 6:05 AM, BallDon'tLie said:

Ingrid,

I do see where you're coming from, and I will say that many of the FISD members I've encountered have been very friendly and helpful in pointing me in the right direction for a successful costume build. However, from the perspective of a relative n00b in this subject matter, it's very frustrating to me when I see responses like the ones from Gazmosis and Darth Aloha.

I'll take your word for it that they have a history of good-natured joking with each other. That type of thing is great, and is a cool aspect of the overall community. However, if a new guy comes in and asks a question, would it be too much to ask to get a straight answer before people hijack/kill the thread with their inside jokes? Stuff like that only serves to further segregate the new information seekers from the established, experienced builders, and makes it that much more intimidating for potential recruits. I've been lucky enough to hook up with some local 501st members and they've squared me away with everything I needed. However, I honestly feel like if I would have relied solely on the FISD community at large, there's a good chance I would have just scrapped the whole idea and found a different hobby.

As I said, there are plenty of friendly, helpful posters here. I just wish you didn't have to weed through so much elitism to find them. Also, thank you for your offer to help out with my questions. If I come up with some new ones, I'll certainly take you up on it.

Rasheed,

I've been thinking a lot about this thread and elitism of late. You make a good point. If viewed from a noob my terse and sarcastic reply to Gaza's equally terse post does look totally dickish. If you don't know me or have read any of my previous posts you wouldn't know that 90% of what I post is dripping with sarcasm. I'm not exactly sure how our exchange could have been construed as elitist exactly. But you're right, we weren't helpful in this case. For that I apologize. I think maybe I assumed that my snipe at Steve wouldn't stop the hordes of other people who usually swoop in to help people like the OP. 

The funny thing is that Gaza is one of the most selfless TKs around helping countless people get their TK on. He was pivotal in helping the little girl who was bullied for liking Star Wars get into kid sized armor. And apropos of nothing, he also sports one of the most badass Dengars in the legion. 

And for my own horn tooting sake am about the least elitist guy around. Hell I was elected to run the joint and I don't even own Centurion grade armor, who am I to judge anyone else? I support people no matter what their costume choice is. I've even won trooper of the month twice for my service to FISD and upholding our unofficial motto "Troopers Helping Troopers." (watch out my head won't be able to fit in my helmet after I post this) The funny thing is that after he posted I immediately spent some time on Facebook answering questions Dom's questions. 

Yet.... alas... both Steve and I flushed all that white plastic lovingkindness down the crapper in a heartbeat with two tacky sarcastic posts. Ok. We are dicks.

However I think though if you had posted a quick introduction thread you would have found a much different reception. If you look at the "introduce yourself" forum area you'll find that every single person who introduce themselves on FISD gets a warm welcome no matter what... and that there is no question that goes unanswered on FISD.

So... again. I'm sorry for making an awful first impression. I promise that it isn't the norm around here.

Aloha, 

-Eric

(who would take me seriously anyways? I have flowers on my shorts)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hi DizzieLA,

I was looking at different kits and ended up buying the NE Armor (just arrived yesterday).  I choose it because the communication of the seller was stellar.  When the kit arrived it was darn impressive.  I know about the helmet issue, but was assured that the problem has been resolved.  The seller also informed me that if I was not satisfied with the armor when it arrived or after I build it, he would give me a full refund - that is how confident of his product. 

Another thing I like about this kit - it comes pre-trimmed.  The kit is detailed, not flimsy, and shiny.  I hope to meet with someone from my local garrison and get their point of view of the armor. 

Regardless of my comment, as previously mentioned go with FISD armor suggestion.  NE armor was formally Armor Master (AM) which is on the list of approved armor.  This is my intro/build thread:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24561-hello-from-az-aspiring-to-be-part-of-501st/

BTW, welcome!

Darth Aloha,

Thank you for the explanation. Please understand, I wasn't calling you and Gazmosis in particular, elitist. That was a general reference to a lot of the behavior I've seen in many other threads. I also don't think that your posts in this thread automatically make you dicks, or that it in any way negates the good work you've done for the community. I was just trying to get the point across that mods and those who have achieved the highest levels of perfection in their builds are looked up to by those with less experience. So, when someone new comes on board, I think we owe it to them to make sure we're as helpful as possible if we want these people to stick around and become valued members of the community. For my part, I apologize for coming across so harshly toward you and Gazmosis. I guess I had some pent up frustration from a few other threads, and lashed out here, making you two seem like some horrible offenders that you're not. I'll take my own advice into consideration and try to choose my words more carefully in the future.

P.S. Awesome pic, but you need to get the little one into a Princess Leia costume ASAP! :P

On 7/29/2013 at 10:11 PM, BallDon'tLie said:

P.S. Awesome pic, but you need to get the little one into a Princess Leia costume ASAP! :P

That little girl is the Pacific Outpost's biggest fan. She's forever hanging around our booth at the Honolulu cons.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13