How to paint flexible latex hand guards?

I dun goofed. I took a can of spray paint to my Trooperbay hand guards, and now the paint is all tacky and sticky. Not only are the hand guards now caked in cat hair, but I'm at a loss at how I can paint them correctly. Removing the paint is also proving to be a difficult task; I easily removed paint from my pauldron using Goo Gone Painter's Pal, but it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything to the hand guards.

I'm looking to paint them a matching shade of red for my Magma Trooper build. Any help would be appreciated. If all is lost, I CAN use the plastic ones that came with my kit, but those aren't as good.

The best way is latex paint. The kind you paint on T-shirts. 

Get some white, and dye it with acrylics to your likening,

Plasti Dip can used to, but doesn't last very long.

'Another way is thinned down white glue, dyed with acrylics.

I was also successful with nail polish (because of the flex) andy acrylics

But no paint will last forever-

On a side note: if you have the white silicone kind, you're out of luck. No way to paint these. Only brown latex can be painted

I looked again at Trooperbay.com; these hand guards are made of flexible rubber, NOT latex. It's looking like I'll either have to make due with the plastic ones in my kit, or buy another set of flexible ones. Thanks for the info  :D

How to- Repair and repaint flexible Stormtrooper Handguards.

Trooperbay uses rubber, and LATEX is rubber. so this will work

first after bad paint cures sand the handplates with wet sanding starting at 1000g moving up to 2000g

wash and let dry

take a small plastic container and mix in a small amount of rubber it goes a long way so start small.

about a 1/2 oz or about 1/16th of a 1/4 cup.  mix in the red until you like the hue.

take a sponge and dip it into the liquid mixture and smoothly apply the paint and latex mixture.

using small amounts after you have done the top of each handplate then move on after the latex is fully cured.

The sponge you use should be a makup application pad, they also have them on a sitck like a paintbrush.

you want a tight sponge, not a loose one with lot's of grain.

when the container you've mixed your paint in is dry then you know the plates are dry.

you can leave them in the sun. it will speed up the cure.

after several applications of this mixture on top sides and bottom of each handplate you can add a nice

glossy shine to them by adding some Angelus gloss sealer.

mold builder latex

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The best way is latex paint. The kind you paint on T-shirts. 

Get some white, and dye it with acrylics to your likening,

Plasti Dip can used to, but doesn't last very long.

'Another way is thinned down white glue, dyed with acrylics.

I was also successful with nail polish (because of the flex) andy acrylics

But no paint will last forever-

On a side note: if you have the white silicone kind, you're out of luck. No way to paint these. Only brown latex can be painted

paint that has been sealed does last.

this method works with any kind of flexible material.

it's called impregnated pigment latex coating.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Seems to me like you are both suggesting the same thing, except Karin's solution comes ready to use in a bottle. Probably cheaper too than having to buy the latex separately.

negative comments are really not needed in a forum where people help each other find solutions to common problems.

I've been using this method to make my own handguards and repair older ones from karin, and from trooperbay.

for about 3 years now.

glen has also posted his own HOW TO- paint handguards thread almost 2 days after my post.

I place his link inside my own How To answer thread because I support positive comments and ideas.

his great solution is located http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24545-how-to-paint-handguards-another-option/

I'd say our two solutions are much better than mixing paint with glue, or using fabric paint. or using plasti dip.

with my method you can skip buying handguards and just make your own.

the materials are much less expensive than purchasing a set from trooperbay or across the planet.

and the material is true latex, which you can choose to mix in paint, or add it on top, as you choose.

BOOT PAINTING

you can even use the sealer on a pair of painted boots.

I use angelus leather paint and the sealer.

you don't have to sand the boots, or prep them in ANY way.  just apply the paint with a sponge and seal with the clear sealer.

even works on the elastic!

no fuss no mess, no waiting for days for leather dye to cure.

Yeah, well the question was about painting latex hand guards. So a method on making your own or how to paint boots is irrelevant to the original post. I think Karin has painted enough hand guards and tried enough different methods to know what she's talking about. And your comments, Vern, both here and in Glen's how-to are just as negative as those you are complaining about. There's an expression that comes to my mind suitable for situations like these; "Step up, or shut up".

The original poster asked for info, and you both gave your options. End of discussion.

If you want to "prove" that your method is the best, do that in a separate thread and in a scientific manner.

mathias, I've posted this in the HOW TO section with photos showing the process.

and if you READ MORE CLOSELY you'll see that the original poster has trooperbay handguards, NOT true latex!

I really dislike your post mathias, it's not in the spirit of this forum.

I have the right to post any information into any thread without being badgered, harrassed and told what to do.

you have no right to tell me to be any more "scientific"

this is the exact same type of bullying and harrassment I've seen from you before.

I have included detailed and very exacting instructions.

I have used the exact same procedure to fix trooperbay handguards, which is what this post IS ABOUT

in american schools children are being taught not to be like you mathias

this quote only proves your lack of diplomacy or even basic polite conversation.

bullying, harrassment, baiting, fighting, arguing and such are against the rules of this forum.

and again you break them all with your arrogance.

and I quote you

"There's an expression that comes to my mind suitable for situations like these; "Step up, or shut up".

I steped up.

here's a photo showing both trooperbay and my own handguards

Zdy268z.jpg

0DzHsqD.jpg

if I ever get another harrasment post from you mathias I'm going to take it to the legion counsel.

and we'll have it out and let albin and command staff of the 501st legion to STEP UP and put your

comments in the correct location.

here is the link to my more science related solution:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24531-how-to-repair-and-repaint-flexible-stormtrooper-handguards/

mathias, I've posted this in the HOW TO section with photos showing the process.

and if you READ MORE CLOSELY you'll see that the original poster has trooperbay handguards, NOT true latex!

Trooperbay uses rubber, and LATEX is rubber. so this will work

This is not the how-to section. You cross posted. And there is no need to rack down on other peoples suggestions.

I really dislike your post mathias, it's not in the spirit of this forum.

I have the right to post any information into any thread without being badgered, harrassed and told what to do.

you have no right to tell me to be any more "scientific"

If you are going to tell everyone that comes with their own ideas that yours is much better then that is also against the spirit of the forum, and yes you will actually have to supply some proof that what you are saying is actually true if you are going to make such claims. Therefore you should be scientific.  

this is the exact same type of bullying and harrassment I've seen from you before.

I have included detailed and very exacting instructions.

I have used the exact same procedure to fix trooperbay handguards, which is what this post IS ABOUT

You think it's harassment, but I'm just one of the few people that still aren't worn out from calling you out when you are acting out. You think it's personal because you are in the line of fire so often, but it's not. It's just that most people aren't racking down on others posts as much as you do.

Yeah, well the question was about painting latex hand guards. So a method on making your own or how to paint boots is irrelevant to the original post. I think Karin has painted enough hand guards and tried enough different methods to know what she's talking about. And your comments, Vern, both here and in Glen's how-to are just as negative as those you are complaining about. There's an expression that comes to my mind suitable for situations like these; "Step up, or shut up".

The original poster asked for info, and you both gave your options. End of discussion.

If you want to "prove" that your method is the best, do that in a separate thread and in a scientific manner.

Quoted for evidence of rules being broken.

-Troll, flame, or be offensive. We’ll remove posts we think are ethically, racially, religiously, or sexually offensive, insulting, demeaning, harassing, threatening or just non-constructively negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or ban any user at our sole discretion.

I think glen did a great job.. I just mentioned that you don't have to bake it with my method.

is that negative?  I then follow it up with a compliment.

I've seen how you post comments about Glen's suggestions on paint removal. and it's just like you do to me... you put people down, and glen only could retreat and be polite while you ran him into the ground.

you only seek to control my post content by being insulting and demeaning, then you harrass when questioned, and then you usually take actions like locking my threads, and such... I see you have a "line of fire" agenda against me, and I'm  calling you out on that, and how you also speak to others on this forum.  I'm sure Glen felt demeaned by your comments in the newsletter thread.

mathias, your only purpose in comments in this thread are not about the topic at all.

you simply derail threads with negative comments and confused opinions.  it's like you are trying to destroy my contribution to the forum

with a personal agenda.

I have the right to bring up contextual ideas, like taking the solution and expanding it into other ideas, you have no right to control my post content as you see fit, there are no rules about relevance, no rules about adding ideas on top of other great ideas.

from  snap plates, to glue types, all threads cover both relevant and what you call "irrelevant" concepts ALL OVER this forum.

^ I'm going to try this. You da man. I'll post before/after pictures when the deed is done (in your new "how to" topic).

here's the original poster's comment on my suggestions... sounds like he is into the idea?

He even likes the HOW TO post I put forward, and plans to update that thread as well, all done in a positive way.

I see how the agenda is openly stated:

"You think it's harassment, but I'm just one of the few people that still aren't worn out from calling you out when you are acting out. You think it's personal because you are in the line of fire so often, but it's not. It's just that most people aren't racking down on others posts as much as you do."

acting out? by answering a post?

line of fire? where? I see no negative impulse

so you say I rack down? opinion of yours.  there are many people who message me and compliment me

they thank me for help.

if you read closely you will see that I have no negative comments, only suggestions and compliments to karin and trooperbay.

I even accept Glen's great suggestion and openly link to it here and in my own HOW TO.

it's not a "line of fire" or a "fight"  it's TROOPERS HELPING TROOPERS!

The original poster used the question "how to paint" not me? so I didn't cross post, I answered his post, then I made my own separate scientific post the same day, now let's not get confused.

I've been using this method for 3 years now and staff only has been complaining for less than a week. :: it's a little joke :: nudge nudge ::

perhaps we shall see a newsletter article?

0DzHsqD.jpg

"If you are going to tell everyone that comes with their own ideas that yours is much better then that is also against the spirit of the forum, and yes you will actually have to supply some proof that what you are saying is actually true if you are going to make such claims. Therefore you should be scientific. "

I have never said it was better. that's in your own mind.

my photographic proof materials used, paint and sealer. with trooperbay recovereed,.

Okay, time to get some FACTS straight.

Real latex hand guards: Amber in color. Needs to be painted. There are several options. (see above).

I like mine because it is a true white, has a certain amount of flexiibily and can be weathered screen accurately.

(these are the preferred hg of the UKG).

You could tint real latex with white dye, but because latex gets darker the older it is, there will a a certain amount of yellowing

White rubber hand guards (f.k.a non-latex). They're most likely silicone rubber. You have a hard time painting these, as NOTHING sticks to silicone. (there are polyurthane rubber and some other too)

The original poster (Mike) has clearly stated he has the white rubber variant, which, unfortunatly, cannot be painted the latex way, because they are NOT LATEX

Vern, please don't recommend to people to make hand guards themselves YOUR way: You are basically RECASTING your plastic AP guards. True, they're only for your personal use, but it IS STILL RECASTING

I put templates and intructions in the HOW TO section, so people can make them themselves THE PROPER way.

Edited by Sonnenschein

I don't know, or want to know what's causing the tension here, but I'm appreciative of everyone's eagerness to help a new guy out. I have two handguards, I see two different (but similar) methods of going about fixing them, so why don't I just do both? One for each handguard? Vern and Karin both seem like they know what they're talking about; no doubt they both have a lot of experience under their belts. It's just a bit awkward seeing this tension in a topic I created, so let's all just kiss and make up. Being new to these forums, I probably have no right to say this, but remember why you're all here; I was under the impression that this is supposed to be a constructive and friendly atmosphere so let's keep it that way!  ;)

I think all the information that was posted here is going to help me out a lot, and will hopefully save me from wasting more money on new handguards. I'm probably going to revisit this topic later when I get my boots.

I have permission not only from AP to cast my own handplates. but I also have the permission to sell them.

soon I shall open a thread with my AP style latex handplates.

Mark Harrison has granted me permission to recast his handplates.

if people cast latex into their own property and wear them without selling them it's not recasting.

recasting is not a problem if you have permission to do so? now is it?

I don't know, or want to know what's causing the tension here, but I'm appreciative of everyone's eagerness to help a new guy out. I have two handguards, I see two different (but similar) methods of going about fixing them, so why don't I just do both? One for each handguard? Vern and Karin both seem like they know what they're talking about; no doubt they both have a lot of experience under their belts. It's just a bit awkward seeing this tension in a topic I created, so let's all just kiss and make up. Being new to these forums, I probably have no right to say this, but remember why you're all here; I was under the impression that this is supposed to be a constructive and friendly atmosphere so let's keep it that way!  ;)

I think all the information that was posted here is going to help me out a lot, and will hopefully save me from wasting more money on new handguards. I'm probably going to revisit this topic later when I get my boots.

mike, the problem rests wih karin and ofther members because handplates are part of her passion.  we all get passionate around here sometimes.

it's part of what drives the inner workings of the FISD itself.

we all have our moments of failure and personal quirks.  the thread you have here is important to karin's turf

and some seek to quell progress.  trooperbay, and karin have been selling products for quite a while now, and now I'm entering the marketplace to

improve the AP armor itself, by adding latex handplates to his inventory of items a trooper can choose as an upgrade.

experience is important to me, and I've been here since 2008 - with my own quirks and passions.

the overall mood of the FISD has improved a lot since it started.  we used to get in quite a few hot debates.

I must say sorry for all the drama... drama knows who drama is.

I for one am going to continue to help people, and also sell stuff for troopers to use.

just like karin and mathias want to help, so do I.

Hopefully what I'm about to say won't rub anyone the wrong way. I strongly believe that Vern here has displayed nothing but pure professionalism. Not only has he provided us with a helpful solution to this particular issue, but he has also personally reached out via PM. Karin, being as knowledgeable as she is, has offered her take, which is appreciated. What I don't appreciate are the unnecessary and unconstructive comments made by both Karin and Mathias. Truth be told, it didn't make either of you look good. My jaw was pretty much on the floor after reading through all of it. I understand we're all only human here, all with the same goal, but let's all stop for a moment and reevaluate the means of achieving that goal.