My ATA Armor Build (Please chime in...I am a noob!)

LePaul

Where you're going to place the covering strip looks really wide. Have you looked at the tutorials here? You should be aiming for at 15 to 16 mm covering strip, which should give you about 8mm on each side.

When I did this I started wide and kept cutting it narrower and narrower until it looked right and I could fit my hands through to put them on.

And I'm assuming you've got the correct left arm and right arm halves since these are asymmetrical for these suits. The right forearm is a big bigger and straighter whilst the left is smaller and more curved.

And undertrimming is always better than overtrimming at this stage :)

Yes I have the correct pieces, checked and double checked.  I have the cover strips cut to the right sizes that Terrell wrote done on the plastic

But I was told the ATA required less trimming and been hesitant to trim away much beyond where the molding edge was.

So, what should that rectangular ridge be size wise?

Oh ya. You can remove a lot more. Should look like this.

null_zpsaff71e6d.jpg

Watch the build videos over on trooperbay.com and you'll get the exact measurements.

I wish he would make more videos!

I bought the zap a gap and zip kicker for use when I feel I'm getting the hang of this!

I wish he would make more videos!

I bought the zap a gap and zip kicker for use when I feel I'm getting the hang of this!

I stayed away from the zap a gap and zip kicker... especially since I had to pull pieces apart and redo them multiple times :)

Okay, I found out that my right inside piece was in fact the left...it had the curves, not straight as it should be   That link was a big help.

Now, on the ends of the fore arm, I trimmed as much as I could then used the Dremel with a sanding flap wheel   So the "return", i think you call it, has been removed

Here's what I have on the right side....

IMG_4237.JPG

Look better?  I think I cut too much on one side (left) but the right looks good...You can see those two white strips of how much I removed.