Ibnzbass4 Stunt Build (ATA)

Awesome, the big brown box, now look at it in amazement and excitement, done that, now the panic will just about set in right about now LOL. Good luck with the build, looking forward to the progress :D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I made my first cut! No pics yet because I didn't do much. I started to trim the control panel for the thermal detonator. I grabbed a pair of Fiskars curved blade scissors, but they have a handle that is too small, and they don't appear to be a good substitute for the Lexan scissors IMHO (placed an order for a set of the Lexan scissors last night). Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will make some progress worth posting. I was suprised how tough the plastic was to cut. Anyway, it took me a week to work up the courage, but I am officially off to the races.

:angry:Ā Stupid thermal detonator. What is the best method for trimming off the ends of the control panel? Cutting the straight edge wasn't bad, but the bulbous end won't cut right using large scissors, small scissors or the utility knife. I'm thinking Dremmel, but any good pointers would be great.

Edited by Ibnzbass4

the Dremmel will work well for that. I have a band saw so makes short work of stuff like that.Ā Just make sure you cut it to the right size. Be careful on bending those TD clips. Usually, I recommend bending them prior to drilling any of the holes because the holes create a weak spot that might make it crease in those locations. Take it slow and support it if you can with clamps perhaps.

Now I'm on TD work too. I use Lexan scissors for curved side, it goes well. Also I use the masking tape before cutting. It helps me to see where the line will go after. It is need for caps to be on the tube already, this way it is easier to adjust the panel and cut the right once.

Edited by Ales

BTS31_zps6a9e503c.jpgIdeally (we all hate that word) the TD should finish in at roughly 7 1/4- 7 1/2 inches total length. With the end caps being 3/4 -7/8" wide.Ā  So your control panel will be coming an at about 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 inches wide. Make sure you have at least 1/2 between your control panel and the end caps.

Thanks for the info guys. The Dremmel is my friend once again and I used it to start trimming out the control panel. As you can see, I need to trim a little more on the "bottom" and have not yet trimmed the top. I may have to bring the left in a little too, but not certain. I also started marking off cut lines on the helmet.

Ā 

20130923_175853_zpsac439772.jpg

20130922_225849_zpsf382a062.jpg2013-09-22230108_zps627f51dc.png2013-09-23094544_zps28061021.png

I would take a little more, mine is 4 1/2 inches, then 1/2 inch between that and the end caps. Just watch the side trimming of your bucket, I think from memory you need to leave more on one side, think it was the left, when you put it all together you will see what I mean. I aligned the pieces by measuring from the peak of the cheek traps to the dimple of the ear screw. The bucket does sit off set so it will look weird when you first look at it ;)

YEAH! What Glen said!!!Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  With ATA's helmet, the side to watch is the right side (as you are wearing it). Take off the rough stuff on the face like you have marked. Just watch not to take too much off the cap on that side. It comes REALLY close, especially at the bottom, to NOT allowing you any overlap to rivet or attach the bottom screw of the ear.

Got it. I have my control panel down to about right between 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 inches. The end caps are cut (Dremel plus sanding) and the tube is painted. Now I just have to assemble. Problem is the end caps are a REALLY hard fit.

Ā 

20130929_171038_zps09ccacfa.jpg

20130929_171333_zps8708286e.jpg

20131002_061343_zps3c43d664.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

YEAH! What Glen said!!!Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  With ATA's helmet, the side to watch is the right side (as you are wearing it). Take off the rough stuff on the face like you have marked. Just watch not to take too much off the cap on that side. It comes REALLY close, especially at the bottom, to NOT allowing you any overlap to rivet or attach the bottom screw of the ear.

Ā 

I still have to trim like Panda Trooper shows here though, correct?

5506800842_5a8d31efb4_z.jpg

Edited by Ibnzbass4

Clips just about done so I should be able to put the TD aside as finished in a day or so. I still have to attach them to the detonator and paint the screw heads black. I also need to tweak the clips just a bit. I don't own, or have access to, a vise so I had to craft these by hand with a little bit of elbow grease. They aren't as good looking as the ones made by TK_LEPER or Vern, but they should get the job done as far as board approval.

Ā 

20131008_090809_zps4b9a6a06.jpg

Ā 

20131008_063433_zps07fed696.jpg

Those clips a darn nice!!!! Well done!

Ā 

Thanks!

Ā 

Alright. Lots of reading and examining pics of people putting together the ATA bucket. Man, I knew the Stormtrooper helmet was wonky and non-symmetrical, but this is crazy! I had no clue until I started messing around with the pieces. Not a single aspect of this monstrosity id symmetrical. I love it. So I trimmed the faceplate somewhat conservatively, and I am about to cut the cap. Having seen all of the posts on this, I am going to cut very conservatively, especially on the right side (left as you look at it) since that seems to be the side that doesn't overlap well. Terrell already cut this one tight so I won't be trimming too much. Here are a few pics:

Ā 

Let me know if these look about right.

Ā 

20131011_144033_zps37d21626.jpg

20131011_144059_zpsd03d8368.jpg

20131011_144112_zpsbffa91bd.jpg

20131011_144138_zps4fde7214.jpg

Ā 

20131012_160434_zps1ca4a3b4.jpg20131012_160457_zps2b3dc1d7.jpg

20131012_160521_zps30641718.jpg

Edited by Ibnzbass4

• 2 weeks later...

Trimmed out the cap for the most part. I still need to trim away some of the excess along the bottom, but I have been cutting very conservatively based on everybody's advice. I have also left quite a bit on both the right and left side so that I don't have to worry about coming up short. Does this look like too much left behind? I also started trimming out the eyes (which I posted elsewhere so just one pic here). Slow progress is better than none...

Ā 

20131021_072027_zpsb1f5b938.jpg

20131021_072153_zpsd87682b9.jpg

20131021_072215_zps33b78479.jpg

Just a suggestion. If this is something that doesn't concern you, then disregard this. Where you have the brow line cut to now, the brow trim will end up IN the trapezoid exposing the bottom paint line. I have always trimmed it to the end of the trap so the brow covers all the paint. The blue line is where it would end up now and the red is trimmed a little further.

20131021_072215_zps33b784791_zpsd3d0ca3b

DSCN0391_zpse289386e.jpgAgain, this is just what I do and is just being offered as an option.