Thigh Strip Question

James

Picture 1

The cut the corners of the strip at an angle to clean up the look.

When you align the two halves of the thigh piece itself, make sure the bottom lip is aligned since that area is next to impossible to trim. It's better to align the big lip on the bottom and trim the top to sit better.

Edited by Dday

Oh, also, make sure the ridge on the thigh piece that goes from the top to the bottom, where the strip sits on is not smaller then the strip itself. The ridge should be approximately the same width or a little wider then the strip. If you have a big thigh, you can make it bigger just as long as it is in scale with the others that are shown.

Here's an example of what it should look like:

-----------

Sorry for the blur, but it'll give you a clear idea

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I had a gap at the bottom too so I glued a small square of abs behind the gap to fill it in a bit, it also helped to support the area. Another option is to make your own ABS paste (tutorial somewhere on here) and fill the gap that way.

The generally accepted way is to have it end at the ridge though, regardless of the inconsistencies in ANH. I mean if you really wanted to go uber accurate, get out the duct tape in strategic locations and let the calves spread wide and loose when your walking.

Overall, I think most of us, barring the ones going for absolute screen accuracy, go for as accurate as we can but still staying practical for the rigors of trooping. The original suits weren't designed to be worn for extended periods, just the immediate shot. We run ours through the paces and need durability along with the accuracy we try to achieve. Make it look nice, as accurate as possible to whatever movie your ideal trooper is and keep it useful and durable.

Good luck!

The generally accepted way is to have it end at the ridge though, regardless of the inconsistencies in ANH. I mean if you really wanted to go uber accurate, get out the duct tape in strategic locations and let the calves spread wide and loose when your walking.

Overall, I think most of us, barring the ones going for absolute screen accuracy, go for as accurate as we can but still staying practical for the rigors of trooping. The original suits weren't designed to be worn for extended periods, just the immediate shot. We run ours through the paces and need durability along with the accuracy we try to achieve. Make it look nice, as accurate as possible to whatever movie your ideal trooper is and keep it useful and durable.

Good luck!

I know this *may* not put me in the majority, but "screen accurate" to me means accurate to what I SAW on the screen in '77 and beyond not what the camera saw when the film was being shot. That's what I shoot for in my builds, to achive the look of what was seen on screen.

The other option, as you've noted, is to get out the duct tape and have at it. ;)