Keith 5376 2013 Challenge Updates

TK Keith

Keith 5376 2013 Challenge Updates

At the suggestion of LadyInWhite, I am starting a thread where I can share my progress on my 2013 goals. My current goals are:

1) finish my Imperial Officer (Staff) build
2) finish my Sith Acolyte build

My staff officer is coming together well. It has been a very different experience than my ATA TK build last year because I am not doing the sewing myself. Most of my time has been spent on research and then waiting anxiously for pieces to arrive.

Within the past month my uniform has arrived along with my rank bar and code cylinders. I had to return the boots I ordered because they weren't tall enough, but the pair I ordered to replace them are on their way.

The main part of the costume was assembled and fitted by Steve and Debbie at warpdonline in Florida. They did a great job! I know I would be hopelessly lost if I had to sit down in front of a sewing machine.

KOfficer-1_zps9ed7827a.jpg

The cody cylinders were done by Vincent Sanchez and I think they turned out great!

Codecylinders_zps41045363.jpg

My mom helped me build the holster.

HolsterButtons_zps1a570f6f.jpg

My daughter Michaela has been giving me plenty of encouragement.

michalae501hat_zpsda6050c0.jpg

My Sith Acolyte build has slowed down considerably in recent months. I spent a lot of time last summer on my TK and so I've been trying not to spend so much time out in the garage. My plan is to work on it a little bit here and there, but I am sure I will be spending a lot of time on it this summer.

Here's a pic with my mask and robe. The mask was done by Mynock and my mom and I (mostly my mom) made the robe ourselves.

IMG_0039_zps8c729f98.jpg

Edited by TK 5376

• 1 month later...

It's been an eventful week for my Imperial Officer build. My Merr Sonn Power 5 blaster arrived and it looks awesome.

Blaster1_zpsf3b0b004.jpg

I worked with my mom to build a holster for the blaster using a thread on the IO forum. http://www.imperialofficer.com/forum/index.php?/topic/784-tutorial-build-your-own-dh-17s-holster/page__hl__holster__fromsearch__1

The build went well. It took about three hours but everything went pretty smoothly. We used a brown pleather. If I make another holster in the future, I will probably use leather because it is stiffer and will hold the weight of the blaster better. We had to reinforce the holster on the inside to keep it from buckling under the weight of the blaster. I am really pleased with how it turned out though, and I think it looks good!

HolsterMomsewing_zps277c8e4a.jpg

HolsterCutting_zpsaef8e135.jpg

HolsterRivets_zps530b5e90.jpg

HolsteronBelt_zps2c31459e.jpg

Edited by TK 5376

Awesome! Thanks for the updates!

Looking good :duim:

Thanks guys!

I submitted my pics for approval on my birthday, March 5, and I got my official notification just a few minutes ago.

"Dear Keith,

I am writing on behalf of the Golden Gate Garrison of the 501st Legion to officially thank you for your additional costume submission.

I have thoroughly reviewed the photos you submitted and are pleased to APPROVE your Imperial Officer: Staff Officer (ID) costume!
"

So my ID is now official, and I can cross that goal of my 2013 list. Woo-hoo!

officer2_zps13c98e37.jpg Edited by TK 5376

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So after a long hiatus, I have started working on my Sith Acolyte again.  I wanted to get a lot done last summer, but it just didn't happen. My wife and I became pregnant with our second child (a boy!) and we spent the summer relaxing and enjoying time with our two year old daughter.  Oh, I got a few little things worked on (made progress on the boots, got the Sith robe 99% completed, experimented with some strapping ideas, etc.) but nothing like I had envisioned.

I just spent a few hours in the garage working and made a bit of progress, but my build still feels a bit scattered at the moment.  I am hoping to put a lot of time in during my winter break (3 weeks off starting next Friday) and while I may not reach my goal of finishing this build by the end of the year, I am hoping to make some significant progress.

This has certainly been my most challenging and most time consuming build.

Edited by TK 5376

Today was a successful day! My dad came over and we worked for a few hours on a lot of little things that needed to get done. We touched up the paint on my thighs, added detail lines to a lot of the armor including the boot armor, finished up my glove armor by adding a clear coat, and prepped a few other pieces to work on more later.  For the first time during this entire build, we actually got more done with our time than I had anticipated.

It's amazing how much can get accomplished when someone else is helping you out! 

DE6EFB78-1E73-449B-8E23-2079160756B9_zps

F66406C7-30A1-4983-B8CA-417257A1F1A8_zps

4D2516F2-C120-4FD4-BE20-41DBD40F2271_zps

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone else doing on their costuming goals for 2013? The year is almost over, and I'm feeling pretty good.

The fortune in my fortune cookie today read, "You will soon gain something you have always wanted."  Well, I don't know if two years qualifies as "always," but I'd like to think that this could be referring to finishing my acolyte armor and getting it approved.  

Lots more progress to report, although a few little pieces needed to be re-painted, thus preventing me from progressing as far as I'd like. Man I hate painting!

1. Boot armor is in place and the glue is drying as we speak.

2. Cloak hood has been perfected by adding a little wire to help the hood keep its shape.

3. Paint lines were added to the ab armor

4. Belt and ammo pouches riveted to the ab armor

5. Center section joining the ab armor to the chest armor was created, and painting has commenced

6. Elbow armor has been fitted.

7. Lots of pieces have been clear-coated.

8. Belt canister has been finished. (USPS delivered the holster spring clip a week later than predicted, but at least it got here!)

I can feel it...... I'm getting close to finishing this build!!!!

Well, I think I am just about done with this build.  My dad helped me complete the boot armor last night. He's an architect so he's WAY better at drawing straight lines than I am.  I put a clear coat of paint on my forearms and boot armor today, so those pieces are currently drying in the bedroom of my soon-to-be-born son.

D762AAE4-33A4-41D9-8B53-428E0948356A_zps

91A281C7-1812-4394-95E3-867F70BE00EE_zps

I still need to add a little padding inside the forearms, and I need to attach snaps to my thigh garter strapping system, but other than that, I'm ready for submission photos.  I hope to get those done this weekend or early next week at the latest.  From that point on, I will be keeping my fingers crossed.