no swoop shoulder armor

while watching ANH a few days ago i noticed something on one of the stormtroopers that didnt register until the next day. There was a stormtrooper stunt if i remember correctly that shoulder bell did not have a swoop reversed or otherwise. When i get home i will watch the movie again to get a screen shot

I don't think any of the Sandtroopers have that swoop, either. I also think that only one shoulder bell had the swoop on most the TKs, but there really was no consistency to who wore what and how. So, it's very possible that the TK you saw had on two shoulder bells that lacked the swoop detail. I'm sure Paul can elaborate further.

Yes there are two seperate shoulder bells, one with the swoop and the other without. Mike is right about the inconsistancy of the suits too. From what I have read, the troopers had to grab what they could before filming and the results were troopers wearing stuff on the wrong arms, legs or both. From looking at both bells side by side, the strips both seem to slope backwards (opposite from each other) so it looks as though the swoop is designed for the left arm while the non-swoop is for the right. That of course is purely speculation on my part, but there is definately two different bells.

Mike, the sandtroopers did have the swoop. I'll see if I can find a decent pic.

paul,

i read the same thing on RPF and thought the same thing. very intersting, i wish there were pics of the grabbing process. All i can picture is a soup like line with men in tights waiting to grab their plastic

When you say swoop, do you mean just the little bit at the bottom of the strip or do you mean the entire strip that runs from top to bottom of the shoulder bell?

thanks. Kinda strange that they would make one shoulder bell with a swoop and one with out. Or perhaps they just screwed up the original molds. One guy made the left and someone else made the right shoulder mold. One carved a swoop the other guy didn't??? We'll never know I guess.

thanks. Kinda strange that they would make one shoulder bell with a swoop and one with out. Or perhaps they just screwed up the original molds. One guy made the left and someone else made the right shoulder mold. One carved a swoop the other guy didn't??? We'll never know I guess.

Well, from what we've read, the Stormtrooper was sculpted rather hastily and GL had some last minute input before it was taken away and molded for vac-forming. There were also a few changes made after the first Sandtrooper/Tunisia shoots. A lot can happen between point A and B, which probably accounts for many of the inconsistencies.

There were 2 bells.

These are what me and my cousin made a while back after watching the films. Especially the Luke and Han scenes a million times :)

--------------

SDS are on the bottom and mine in the middle. There a definate swoop in the films, so I made mine slightly exaggerated so it shows better :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021