8BitBry's First Ever Build - ANH Stunt [*AP]

I had a bit of a gap in the centre of one of my shins, I applied some heat to both sides and then pushed the two pieces together which closed the gap, just hold until it cools. I used the velcro, was a nicer look for me, make sure you leave enough cover strip to glue the Velcro too, I glued 10mm of the cover strip to one side of the calve and left 15mm for the velcro. Just a tip, before applying glue rough up the surface with some course sandpaper, will give a better hold for the velcro

Good tip! I'll try that first and see how it goes. Did you heat the outside while you were wearing it? I'm not sure how to form that natural bow my calves have without heating/pulling while wearing it. I can't imagine it'd be unbearably hot if I don't overdo it, right?

Edit: obviously I would just use my best judgement and stop heating an area if it gets too hot before it has any potential to burn.

Edited by 8BitBry

No I applied just enough heat to both sides so it didn't distort, if you hold pressure to it you can feel when there is enough heat, you can feel the pieces move. Pressure first then heat, has saved me on many a stubborn piece of abs.

Still in a holding pattern on legs, doing inner shims and making snap plates when I can (tough with a full-time job, 2yo and a pregnant wife :wacko: ). Awaiting some AP ABS to replace the off-color cover strips I put on/took off of the shins. Going slower than I would like but I'm quickly learning by a couple fails here and there on insignificant stuff. Before this project, the only thing I've ever used and used well was an exacto knife. Most of my work has been and is digital as I have worked exclusively in Photoshop going on 17 years now.

In the meantime I'm rolling with the bucket and doing a few details here and there, throwing in fans and trying to find a place for the wireless memorex. I took on the advice of Glen to pretty up the hack of a paint job I did on the ear stripe.

img0717xk.jpg

I masked around the area first so I didn't accidentally sand where I didn't want to.

img0718h.jpg

Then sanded with fine sand paper. This Humbrol paint is thick and gooey so it gets everywhere if you're not careful.

img0720zp.jpg

Removed masking tape and polished the small sanded area with some Novus.

img0740ks.jpg

It's no pinstripe tape but it'll do the job and fit in when I get around to applying the Dave M decals later on.

Edited by 8BitBry

Looking much nicer, good job, should just clean up the rank stripe, looks a little of on the front. The wait for things coming in the post is annoying, hopefully you get your abs soon :duim:

Yet another road block was the unleashing of the belts.

Ready to wear means that AP riveted the ammo belt through the canvas belt into the torso. I had to carefully destroy the rivet, re-rivet the ammo belt to the canvas belt, add correct drop box loops and introduce snaps that would attach to the body next to the old holes. I don't exactly have 'before' photos but will post the mods later.

The other tricky part was un-doing the knee ammo belt that was also riveted into the right thigh. I wanted proper cap rivets and I also needed to trim/resize the thighs. The initial placement of the belt looks okay but it was still nerve racking to get that rivet out and not destroy the hole in the process.

I'm feeling more and more confident and stoked to say that I'm finally done resizing the legs - so I now have the arms and legs fitting comfortable and snug like white plastic spandex.

I should be getting most of my final items today so I can assemble the strapping system this weekend and finally throw on the armor for test fits (I'm sad to say I didn't even bother trying on the ready-to-wear velcro system the first day :( ).

These modifications for Centurion have been really tough, tougher than assembling (what I believe to be) the correct way from the start. I'm starting to think I ordered a lemon or at least a lime that was impersonating a lemon :huh:.

I'm wishing I had ordered a trimmed set more and more, but I'm learning so much about the build and myself in the process.

I think you are going great, first armor build is the worst, don't think your armor is a lemon each armor make has it's own problems that have to be tweaked, by the end when you are all suited up and get that thumbs up you will have forgotten about all the trouble you had in the past. No stop typing and get back to work LOL :duim:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been so busy and focused I couldn't find the time to update my progress with photos... BUT!

I did do some test fits over the weekend and this is what I've got so far.

With Centurion in mind, comments and feedback to my questions are totally encouraged. I have a laundry list of what needs to be improved, so a few of my notes below will most likely be the same as yours.

This is my 2nd full test fit. I think the first shot came out pretty well.

I have an issue with the right shin turning on me when I walk. Going to examine the issue a bit more and figure out if it's sizing or if I need to perform this mod by Peter: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22628-how-to-make-shins-not-shift-or-move-to-the-side/

The brow looks a bit low to me but I like it. Is this acceptable?

It does slip down a little with handling and I'd like it not to. Any ideas on how to get the brow to stay put?

fergusonanh001.jpg

Will try some strapping adjustments to close the black a little more on the shoulder bells. I had to heat bend the hell out of the top of the shell to get it to fit over my wide and beefy delts.

My right drop box hangs a bit lower. It's looped around the belt so it's an easy adjustment with velcro/adhesive.

Sides pop out a little but I'm considering shaving a little off my Han snap side shim to get a tighter fit around the waist - so I'll revisit that issue after I trim the shim.

fergusonanh002.jpg

Kidney tops raise up when belt is strapped tight. Again, I'll shave the right shim and play with the length of the straps.

fergusonanh003.jpg

That's the right shim that overlaps a bit. I need to cut about 1" off of it and add a little bit of padding on the lower back of the kidney.

fergusonanh005.jpg

A bit of separation between the back plate and kidney I want to tighten up - I think this will align my kidney with torso a little better as well. I'm using the screen accurate brackets by Mr. No Stripes for this connection.

Right forearm is twisted a little. I'm revisiting how the fabric is connected to the indus. strength Velcro with rubber adhesive vs zap-a-gap for a stronger connection.

Going to add a little padding to the outside of the lower thighs to align them slightly better.

fergusonanh004.jpg

Overall I was pretty happy with the initial fits. I did have to make some serious adjustments and overhauls to the molds.

What do you guys think? Are my thoughts heading in the right direction? Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone who has helped me with supplies and knowledge to make this work!

Heya. Looking really good! You might want to consider lengthening your shoulder attachments so the chest piece can come down a bit as well. Mine was in the same position as yours and it frequently caught on the top of the ab piece.

Heya. Looking really good! You might want to consider lengthening your shoulder attachments so the chest piece can come down a bit as well. Mine was in the same position as yours and it frequently caught on the top of the ab piece.

Thanks Chris! Yah, I'll try repositioning the snaps on the shoulders and bring it all down a little. I did notice that when raising my arms it would catch with those chest/torso brackets.

So, I'm an idiot and had the snap plate on the bottom left kidney lower than the button plate on the ab. That was the main catalyst for the kidney to pop up like it is in the above photos. So that's fixed now. :duim:

Also I trimmed 1" off the shim as well so the torso/kidney fit is a lot better.

I also made new shoulder straps at the advice of Chris (above) and extended the snap length by about 2" and moved the shoulder bell snaps forward slightly for less black separation between bell/chest at the front view of the armor. This length modification also adds to the improvement of the kidney/ab alignment and reduces the drastic pulling of the chest and separation of the back/kidney.

I also (no photo yet) zap-a-gap'd some velcro hook to the underside of the fabric straps so they would be flush to the loop applied ABS shoulder strap.

photo1ncr.jpg

Another issue I ran into with these longer straps is the ABS shoulder straps I received were cut too short by AP so they physically end right at the back plate with the longer fabric strap now. I sent an email to Mark but he doesn't have any extra untrimmed straps to send and didn't offer to make them. I have no idea how that works and why he can't blast a shoulder strap mold after all the money I shelled out. Anyways, I'm currently in contact with another resource to see how the color will match.

From the pics it looks like the white tabs cut off of the ends of your shoulder strips? Availability ebbs and flows with makers' schedules and material in stock. Best of luck on obtaining replacements and stay the course. Patience is your ally. :)