Hawaii sightseeing question for Pacific Outpost members...

boomshakra

My wife & I will be staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach next week (10/9-15) and I wanted to ask if there is anything we MUST see/do while we're there. We're already signed up for the usual tourist-y stuff (surfing lessons, helicopter ride, snorkleing). It is our first trip out there...and I'm not sure when we'll be able to return, so we'd like to see as much as possible.

If anyone lives near where we're staying I'd love to meet you in person - I won't have my armor with me (although I did debate bringing my bucket...) but will buy you a beer & have a Star Garrison patch or two with me. PM me if you're nearby.

thanks!

Hi Jason!

You should stay a week longer on Hawaii for when the Halloween fun starts, plus there's a small convention going on the 19th-21st :)

Anyways, if you haven't already added it, I'd say a visit to Pearl Harbor should be in the to-do/to-see list if you're into that kind of thing. If you like shrimp, go visit the North Shore, they have some very good garlic shrimp there (and if you don't like it, you should still visit it, it's such a big contrast with Waikiki). Something else you might like is the Polynesian Cultural Center, it's quite touristy but everyone I took there with me, always liked it. There's actually pretty much to do and to see here.. when I have family over for 3-4 weeks, they still don't have enough time to do it all lol. http://www.gohawaii.com/ might be an idea to take a look, there's quite a few of activities listed there, based on what your interest could be.

From what I understand, the outpost usually takes visitors out for a drink. If so, chances are I'll come down too :)

Btw, kind of unrelated question but since you mentioned the Star Garrison patches, I was wondering.. what did you guys made the Star Garrison temporary tattoos with? I received one with my aker/icomm and gave it to my daughter 2 weeks ago.. now, 2 weeks and many showers later, it's still on there haha. It's awesome quality :D

Edited by svache

Hi Jason!

You should stay a week longer on Hawaii for when the Halloween fun starts, plus there's a small convention going on the 19th-21st :)

Anyways, if you haven't already added it, I'd say a visit to Pearl Harbor should be in the to-do/to-see list if you're into that kind of thing. If you like shrimp, go visit the North Shore, they have some very good garlic shrimp there (and if you don't like it, you should still visit it, it's such a big contrast with Waikiki). Something else you might like is the Polynesian Cultural Center, it's quite touristy but everyone I took there with me, always liked it. There's actually pretty much to do and to see here.. when I have family over for 3-4 weeks, they still don't have enough time to do it all lol. http://www.gohawaii.com/ might be an idea to take a look, there's quite a few of activities listed there, based on what your interest could be.

From what I understand, the outpost usually takes visitors out for a drink. If so, chances are I'll come down too :)

Btw, kind of unrelated question but since you mentioned the Star Garrison patches, I was wondering.. what did you guys made the Star Garrison temporary tattoos with? I received one with my aker/icomm and gave it to my daughter 2 weeks ago.. now, 2 weeks and many showers later, it's still on there haha. It's awesome quality :D

I don't know how Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial slipped my mind! Definitely going to both places. Thanks for the link and recommendation of the Cultural Center.

As for the tattoos, I think someone in the North Texas Squad was responsible for those...we're flattered she is representing for us :)

I don't know how Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial slipped my mind! Definitely going to both places. Thanks for the link and recommendation of the Cultural Center.

As for the tattoos, I think someone in the North Texas Squad was responsible for those...we're flattered she is representing for us :)

You're welcome! And yeah, she's representing all right, she's so proud of her temporary tattoos (she has Vader on the other arm lol). I just took a picture, it's amazing how it's still in good shape: http://imageshack.us/a/img145/3186/20121005102136.jpg

Of course you have to do a Luau, I prefer Paradise Cove over the Polynesian Cultural Center. The Cultural Center is ran by mormons and does not have alcohol ;)

Hmm I never realized that alcohol bit.. Guess you got a valid point there, Julie haha! But, at the other hand, I do think the show at the end of the evening at PCC (Ha, Breathe of Life) is pretty cool.

Jason,

To mentally prepare yourself for the Vegas-esque Beach Themed Mall that is Waikiki I suggest heading directly to Duke's Canoe Club for a proper Mai Tai. Do not have two if you have a low alcohol tolerance because you may not be able to perceive the booze. Here you may observe the habitat of the bright red backed american tourist performing boisterous (and drunken) mating calls in their colorful tropical themed plumage.

My suggestion is to get out of Waikiki as often as possible and head to the north shore and cruise around. Plenty surf schools in Haleiwa Town (my favorite place to hang out on the north shore)

Otherwise please do check out 'Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum. Finding a farmer's market is a good way to get in touch with any place you visit.

Be sure to eat these foods while you're there: musubi, shave ice (or ice shave if you're from Hilo) and a loco moco (I prefer Cinnamon's in Kailua for my brown rice moco)

The hike to Maunawili Falls is nice (google it)

Be prepared to spend a ton of money on food.

Rent stand up paddle boards from the Hilton.

Check with Mr. and Mrs. Femtrooper but there may be some armor building going on... don't bring your lexan scissors in your carry on.

Aloha and safe travels,

-Eric

Loco Moco's are awesome! Heart attack in a bowl, but loved those. I went to UH Hilo back in the day. If you get over to the Big Island, lots to do and see.

Like Darth Aloha said, bring lots of cash for food. Laterz Bruddah

Edited by Tsalagi

Thanks to everyone for the replies - we have quite a list of things to do!

Very much looking forward to this adventure - and for any Pacific Outpost peeps who find themselves in the area of our hotel, drop me a PM!

I survived the "Vegas-esque Beach Themed Mall" - very appropriate description Eric :) I did get to Duke's (twice!) and we also ventured away from Waikiki on a few occasions.

Naturally, we didn't cover everything we wanted to do while there - 5 days isn't nearly enough time...we were kind of on a budget that got blown out of the water very quickly, but it was an awesome experience and we can't wait to go back. We started a list of stuff we didn't get to do and are formulating a plan to get to the other islands as well...so it will probably be a 10-14 day trip next time, and you can imagine how long it will take to afford that kind of trip (bringing the kiddos along as well).

Probably my favorite experience was learning to surf with Hawaiian Fire - I did manage to get up and ride a few waves but also spent my share of time falling off. And as you can see below, I was representing the Empire, thanks to Barricade's undershirt run :)

IMG_20121011_105408.jpg

Looking good with the cog there :)

And yeah, I hear what you're saying about not having enough time. I have had my family over for three weeks last year and four weeks earlier this year and there was still not enough time for them to do everything they wanted to do haha.

I agree about the kids, that makes things a lot more expensive. Since we have a little girl, it is a bit harder for me to visit my family in Europe, before I could just pack my stuff and go but now I can't go without her (seeing how we don't have a baby sitter and my wife is a night nurse).

Glad to see you had some fun on the island here, hope the vog (volcanic haze) wasn't too bad the first few days you guys were here :)