Magnet use

I know lots of troopers like to use rare earth magnets to help assemble their armor. I would like to know opinions on what's the best size magnets to use (i.e.- 1", 1/2", 3/8", etc.)? What's worked best for you? Thanks in advance.

I have some 1 inch magnets and they are quite strong, got my finger stuck between some and It wasn't pleasant LOL

I grabbed some from the local Lowe's for about 5 bucks. They are the size of a Quarter. Worked great. That being said, I have seen some really good rare earth magnets that would have been much stronger if I had wanted to wait for them to arrive. I was just impatient.

I had 50 1/2" by 1/8" I got form a local retailer for about $35. They came in real handy when my "Clamps" would not reach those longer runs. I would often double them up on each side of the part I was gluing. I will say they I would have rather of had 25-30 1" size if I had to do it over again. that added surface area would have come handy.

Ā 

The one problem is that being N48->N52 strength, you gotta be REAL careful, as they will jump up and snack on your fingers faster than you can blink. It aint pleasant. Another issue is that if you are not paying attention, they will jump to each other. Why is that a problem? well, the force is strong with them ;) and then come together so fast that they tend to chip and break. I have at least a dozen in pieces, and another 20 with little chunks missing. I should have pre-wrapped them in painters tape.

Ā 

Plenty of sellers on eBay, and if you check your local hardware or woodworking suppliers, you may find them.

Edited by chookaboom

I just ordered some 3/4" x 1/8" N42 and they seem ideal to me. Got 'em for around $30 on ebay (25 magnets). Less thickness they'd break easier, you could go up to an inch, but cost more $. People always wish they had more to speed up their build, but I plan on going slow and steady since it is my first go around. Hope this helps